Need help with bed/sleeping arrangement dilemma

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by berebunch31, Dec 6, 2006.

1. berebunch31

berebunch31 Well-Known Member

We moved the girls to a full-sized bed in late September - they were 19 months at that time. The doctor recommended getting them into beds at about that age, and I moved my oldest 2 when they were 18 months old each. We went with a full-sized bed because we had one available, and we thought they would do well to sleep together until they were old enough for bunk beds (around Kindergarten).

The dilemma has been that they share a room and NEVER stay in their bed. I know it's normal to find them on the floor in the middle of the night, but that's the least of my problems. I have the dresser and closets on lockdown, and they still are finding ways to make messes. My biggest concern, though, is for their safety. Saturday morning, Cara woke up with a huge bruise on her left cheekbone (about the size of a quarter) that was deep purple, and there was swelling and discoloration near the corner of her left eye, also. There was no unusual crying or screaming during the course of hte night before, so I have NO IDEA of how she may have gotten injured. I suspect that the girls may have bumped heads in the middle of the night, and Cara cried a little, and went back to sleep. For the past few days, Cara's bruise has been getting better, turning yellow, etc. Today, though, she woke up and has a new bruise above the bruise in the corner of her eye. I fully believe this is toy-related, and that the girls are playing in their room and doing all this damage.

So I took the bed down. For now, until I decide what to do, they will sleep in their pack n' plays. We gave the cribs away already, so we're not going back to those.

Now we have to decide what the best option is. Here are the options that we have come up with:

1. Buy toddler beds (and re-use one of the mattresses that I gave to my sister that she isn't using) and buy or borrow a crib mattress from someone in the meantime.

2. Have Katie share a room with Kylie. Cara is the more adventurous one, and I think that Kylie would stay put more without Cara as an instigator. We would still have Katie use her own bed, and have Kylie in a toddler bed if we go with this option. It's probably also possible to have Katie and Cara share the full-sized bed if we go to this. The bedrooms are small, though, and it's not possible to have the full-sized bed up against a wall (It would stick out in front of the 3rd floor window too much - scares the crap out of me!!).

3. Take the twin beds out of Tyler and Katie's room. Put the full-sized bed in Tyler's room (drawback to this is that we just bought Tyler a brand new twin-sized New Orleans Saints comforter for Christmas, which I bought in early November, and I don't know if I can exchange it to get a full-size instead. Anyone know how JC Penney works? Plus it was SUPER on-sale, and I'm sure I'd pay through the nose to get a full-sized one). If we did do this, Bill's coworker has bunk beds for us, which we would put in Katie's room, and the twin beds would go in Kylie and Cara's room. I think we still have to buy mattresses for the bunk bed.

4. Buy twin beds for the babies and forget about the full-sized bed.

What do you think? Any insight you can offer? Does one of these ideas sound better than the other? Do you have any different ideas?

I don't really WANT to separate the twins, because they love each other so much, but I will if it's the best option. Let me know what you think. Thanks!!

2. berebunch31

We moved the girls to a full-sized bed in late September - they were 19 months at that time. The doctor recommended getting them into beds at about that age, and I moved my oldest 2 when they were 18 months old each. We went with a full-sized bed because we had one available, and we thought they would do well to sleep together until they were old enough for bunk beds (around Kindergarten).

The dilemma has been that they share a room and NEVER stay in their bed. I know it's normal to find them on the floor in the middle of the night, but that's the least of my problems. I have the dresser and closets on lockdown, and they still are finding ways to make messes. My biggest concern, though, is for their safety. Saturday morning, Cara woke up with a huge bruise on her left cheekbone (about the size of a quarter) that was deep purple, and there was swelling and discoloration near the corner of her left eye, also. There was no unusual crying or screaming during the course of hte night before, so I have NO IDEA of how she may have gotten injured. I suspect that the girls may have bumped heads in the middle of the night, and Cara cried a little, and went back to sleep. For the past few days, Cara's bruise has been getting better, turning yellow, etc. Today, though, she woke up and has a new bruise above the bruise in the corner of her eye. I fully believe this is toy-related, and that the girls are playing in their room and doing all this damage.

So I took the bed down. For now, until I decide what to do, they will sleep in their pack n' plays. We gave the cribs away already, so we're not going back to those.

Now we have to decide what the best option is. Here are the options that we have come up with:

1. Buy toddler beds (and re-use one of the mattresses that I gave to my sister that she isn't using) and buy or borrow a crib mattress from someone in the meantime.

2. Have Katie share a room with Kylie. Cara is the more adventurous one, and I think that Kylie would stay put more without Cara as an instigator. We would still have Katie use her own bed, and have Kylie in a toddler bed if we go with this option. It's probably also possible to have Katie and Cara share the full-sized bed if we go to this. The bedrooms are small, though, and it's not possible to have the full-sized bed up against a wall (It would stick out in front of the 3rd floor window too much - scares the crap out of me!!).

3. Take the twin beds out of Tyler and Katie's room. Put the full-sized bed in Tyler's room (drawback to this is that we just bought Tyler a brand new twin-sized New Orleans Saints comforter for Christmas, which I bought in early November, and I don't know if I can exchange it to get a full-size instead. Anyone know how JC Penney works? Plus it was SUPER on-sale, and I'm sure I'd pay through the nose to get a full-sized one). If we did do this, Bill's coworker has bunk beds for us, which we would put in Katie's room, and the twin beds would go in Kylie and Cara's room. I think we still have to buy mattresses for the bunk bed.

4. Buy twin beds for the babies and forget about the full-sized bed.

What do you think? Any insight you can offer? Does one of these ideas sound better than the other? Do you have any different ideas?

I don't really WANT to separate the twins, because they love each other so much, but I will if it's the best option. Let me know what you think. Thanks!!

3. CapeBretoner123

CapeBretoner123 Well-Known Member

Could she have been falling out of bed and smacking her own head? I know my girls fall out about once a week. We keep a crib mattress on the floor to save them at least one bump. 9 times out of 10 they climb in after a small yell.
    I'd keep working on it. Bumps and bruises shouldn't come with bedtime but sadly it does more then we think about it. You could try a small safety gate near the beds. Maybe they won't touch each other or fall out.
    Are they in the same bed? Our girls hate being in the same one. Lauren hates being touched when shes asleep. She'd smack Kris around. All you can do is keep trying. I personally wouldn't remove the beds. But you said you might try toddler beds. Is it worth the expense. Unless you have them already. I found it took a few months for all 3 of our girls to adjust to twin beds.

4. berebunch31

If they're falling out, it's at the foot of the bed, as they have a headboard and rails on both sides of the bed.

It's also possible that Cara and Kylie were playing with something and Cara got hit, but she didn't cry out and I didn't hear a thump or anything like that.

If the toddler beds would solve the problem, I'd go for that with no hesitation, but I suspect that they would be able to still cause trouble for each other as long as they're in the same room.

I just worry about the psychological effects of separating them into different rooms when they are always looking for each other.

5. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

How about 2 beds next to each other, with rails on both sides, so hopefully they won't bump, but won't be seperated.

amanda (jorja and jessica 3)

6. berebunch31

That's a good idea - I just hope they won't spend all night climbing over the rails [​IMG]

7. jem0622

jem0622 Well-Known Member

My girls will always share a room. My boys are doing the same. My girls are still in their cribs, but only because we have crib tents. I don't know if we will go to toddler beds or regular beds until we get to that point...because I don't know how long they will be in their cribs.