need help with food

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Dec 24, 2009.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

we've been giving our LO's fruit in the am and a veggie in the pm.
    my pedi gave me the go-ahead for meats. (which we haven't done yet). she also mentioned i can mix meat with pasta. wtf? LOL how can they eat pasta? is she referring to pastina? when did you all introduce foods like this?

also when can i give them 'finger foods' such as gerber puffs or cheerios? (i read somehwere it helps with fine motor skill development)

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We started puffs at about 8 months. We also did Ditalini pasta and ground beef once they were used to textures.

3. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

Mine love mac n cheese or any pasta they can pick up. it's a big hit! They were about 9 months old when they started eating pasta.

4. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I would start out with a mac n cheese type dish as well and let them pick it up and eat it. It's messy, but they will love it. Then you can introduce small amounts of ground beef or even shredded chicken with pasta and sauce.

5. newtothis

what kind of pasta do i use with them at 7 mos?

6. Utopia122

I took a look on the MayoClinic website and they do not say to avoid any certain types of pasta. So I would say that whatever you see that you think that would be easy for them to pick up...such as the macaroni pasta, spiral, or shells.

7. newtothis

how do they chew without teeth?

8. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I always mixed (half/half) meats with pureed fruits or veggies. I don't think I did pasta at that age.

9. Utopia122

They gum it :D seriously, my girls did fine with it. Just make sure it small bites. Pasta is soft enough that it doesn't take much. If you are thinking that your kids can't handle pasta right now, you should wait, there is really no need to rush.

10. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

My niece is 9 months and she does these little tiny pasta balls. I don't really know what they are called, but they are with the regular pasta. My pediatrician recommends waiting to start food like puffs/cheerios until the baby/ies are pulling up.

11. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

Just last week I came across this chart of when to start what types of solids. It's just a general guideline and like others have said it's probably okay to start your LO's a little earlier on some of this stuff (such as pasta). I taped that chart to the inside of a kitchen cabinet door because I have lots of questions about solids too and I can't keep all of it straight as far as when to give them what types of solids :)

12. newtothis

thanks!!