Need Quick Answer..do I Book Them A Flight?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by mommy2btwins, Apr 5, 2007.

1. mommy2btwins

mommy2btwins Well-Known Member

hi we are going to fla for memorial day weekend... the girls will be 15 months old by then..should i get them a seat on the plane..or should i just hold thme.. i figured if i had the carseats maybe they would sleep ..what do u think? i dont know if they would sit still in our laps..last time i took them they were 4 months ol.d.... bigggggg difference till now.. .help!!! :huh:

2. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

It depends how long the trip is. We traveled from WA to FL when they were 19 months old and we had the car seats on the plane. I would not have done it without them. It was key to the successful trip.

3. mommy2btwins

QUOTE(FirstTimeMom814 @ Apr 5 2007, 04:50 PM) [snapback]207186[/snapback]
    It depends how long the trip is. We traveled from WA to FL when they were 19 months old and we had the car seats on the plane. I would not have done it without them. It was key to the successful trip.

the trip is 2 1/2 hrs

4. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

At 16 months, I can't imagine holding one of my kids on my lap for 2.5 hours, particularly in an airline seat that doesn't even have enough leg room for one adult. People do do it and live to tell the tale, but if you can afford the extra seats, IMO you should get them.

5. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

I would check with the airline. I think that after they are 1, you are required to have them in their own seats.

6. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

It's after 2 that they must have their own seats. That's a pretty short flight, I would probably try it without the seats.

7. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

We did lap sitting at 18 months for a 2 hour place trip and I will say my experience was not great. Looking back, I wish I would have gotten them their own seats. But it is definitely doable-- just exhausting! Plus yours are 3 months younger so maybe it won't be a problem for you.

8. AliPaige717

AliPaige717 Well-Known Member

I flew from NY JFK airport to Ft Lauderdale last year when the girls were 9 months old. I got them their own seats on the plane. They did stay in them most of the flight but when they got fussy we took them out and walked a little with them.

I am flying next week to Seattle and they will also have their own seats. I can't imagine holding them for that amount of time. I am also hoping they will sleep since the flights are around bedtime.

9. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I guess it depends on whether or not you can afford 2 more seats. If you can then you may want to go ahead and get them each their own seat. If money is an issue then I think holding them on your laps is doable. We flew when ours were 10 months old, I know not the same age, but we held them in our laps and it was fine. Personally if they can fly for free I would rather not spend the money on plane tickets for them, then you have more money to spend on vacation, that is just me though.

10. debid

debid Well-Known Member

We did a 2-hour flight at 15 months in a packed plane with them in laps and it was OK. Mine are VERY busy boys but I broke up the time by bringing their lunch onboard. They drank water from straw cups on takeoff, fell alseep for 45 mintues, then I got out the lunches and they ate, we tore up the in-flight magazines, they bugged some people next to us, and next thing you know we were on approach for landing and it was licorice time.

11. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

Personally I'd go nuts with them in my lap! BUT, I know it's a lot of money to buy TWO extra seats. Maybe you could try the Baby B'Air things so they still feel sort of restrained and might not fight too much about getting down but they can be in your lap.

12. mommy2btwins

:itwins: thank you everyone for ur suggestions... we did go ahead and book them two seats... i was getting anxiety just thinking of them harassing us on the plane.. lol hopefully it should work out .. ill let u all know... !! lol B)

13. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

If you can afford it get them seats and bring their carseats! We did lapinfants at 23.999 months and it was NOT FUN. Doable as we booked an evening flight and the boys fell asleep. But I had to pee and was naseauted but with a sleeping boy in my lap I could do nothing about it. :eek: On the way back the plane was not full and they got seats and their carseats and what BLISS :D