Need suggestions on a birthday party without gifts.

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by siobhan, Oct 27, 2010.

1. siobhan

siobhan Well-Known Member

I know it sounds crazy, but my girls birthday is right after christmas and I feel like they have so much toys already and I know there is alot of kids out there who don't have any anyway how do I go about wording an ivite" no gifts" did that when they were 2 and people still bought gifts. I'm not sure how to go about it.

2. KimberlyF

KimberlyF Well-Known Member

This is what I wrote on my children's invite:

Can you believe Eli and Natalie are turning 4?

Please don't bring any presents, just come play with us!

We can't wait to party with you all!

Their birthday is coming up on November 15. I also figure I can't really do anything about people who bring presents anyway. I know already there will be two such people. We're having the party at a park, and I plan on thanking the person for the gift when they hand it over, then putting it away in the car, so they're not on display. Other people seemed to be relieved not to have to buy presents. We'll see how it goes. :unknw:

3. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I've heard of some people doing a donation gift... they bring a new gift for you to donate... maybe that way people would feel like they could bring something...

4. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest people bringing a donation also. You could even make it a special gift. "Jesse and Joshua would like you to bring your favorite book for a local shelter. They have so many blessings, they want to bless someone else."

5. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Or what about everyone bringing a small unisex gift (say under $5 or $10) and then do a game, and everyone gets to go home with a gift. I think that would be so much fun as a kid, to bring a present to someone else's birthday party and then go home with a little gift!

6. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

I think that is a great idea, I might steal it :D AND, then you can skip the hassle and expense of putting together gift bags. :banana:

Last year I did something similar with a book exchange, I asked everyone to bring a wrapped book in excellent condition from home (some brought brand new, I'm sure). I numbered the books and then had all the kids pick a number.

7. siobhan

siobhan Well-Known Member

Thank you guys so much for your suggestions I love them...

8. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

that's a neat idea with the gift exchange or book exchange! that's a great idea for playgroup get togethers for Christmas too!

9. traci.finley

traci.finley Well-Known Member

I went to a party once that was a "book exchange" where you all brought a wrapped book and left it on a table and picked one up when you left ... that way, people got to bring a gift but also got to take one home and you get out of buying goody bags ;) Was a cute idea ...

I, also, did a "no gifts" party for my 3 year olds and several people brought little things (little flower bracelets or someone brought each of them a pair of bloomers) but most people did not bring anything ... they got enough gifts between aunts/uncles/grandparents that they did not know the difference. I just simply wrote "please, no gifts" on the invite!

10. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

great idea I'm going to steal that one too!

11. lizgoh1

lizgoh1 Member

We are attending a birthday party in November where the parents have asked everyone to bring a donation to the food bank.

Elizabeth

12. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

one of my friends did the book exchange and I really want to do it for J/B's 4th birthday, my husband is opposed right now because what 4 year doesn't like getting presents - but with it being two kids and we are probably inviting the whole school, I like the book exchange.