Neosure constipating? And reflux question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Cocosmomma, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Cocosmomma

Cocosmomma Member

My twin boys were born 2 weeks ago at 35 weeks. One of them hasn't had a BM in almost 48 hours. Should I be concerned?
    Also, he seems to have some reflux issues. Can spit up pretty badly after eating. We feed him slowly, burp often and keep him sitting upright for 30-45 mins after feeding, but he still loses it. We've tried Mylicon, but it doesn't seem to help. Thought we'd try Gripe water next. Thoughts?

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

:welcome: Congrats on your babies!

I wouldn't worry about the bm just yet. If he seems to be straining or it is hard when he does go, I might be a little concerned.

As far as the reflux, I would put a call into the ped and let him/her know what is going on. Is he fussy with the spitting up? Arching his back? Gripe water didn't work for us, but I know some swear by it.

3. Cocosmomma

Cocosmomma Member

He writhes around a bit, but doesn't seem to be in terrible pain and eats every bottle like it's his first and only!

4. hsuter

hsuter Well-Known Member

I agree...put a call into the pedi just to let them know and see what they suggest. Some babies are happy spitters, but often its the case that all of that spitting up will wear on the esophagus, so be on the look out for reflux symptoms-arching, crying, refusing, ect.
    As for the bm, if he seems to strain or be uncofortable due to it you could call and ask the pedi what they reccomend. The basic formulas I think can be constipating, particularly for preemies. Maybe concider a gentler formula?

5. oh-baby-baby

oh-baby-baby Well-Known Member

BTDT One of my girls didn't go for 9days! I talked to my ped and she said just as long as they were having wet diapers that everything was fine. But like PP stated, check with your ped. Have you changed type of feedings? I was in the process of weening from breast to bottle when mine didn't have a BM. Good luck!

6. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wouldn't worry too much about the bm, unless he seems to be uncomfortable or his belly seems hard. But I would definitely check with the ped about the reflux to see what he/she recommends.

7. ohjojo

ohjojo Well-Known Member

like the pps, i wouldn't be too worried about the poopin' unless he seems to be in pain and trying to go, but can't..

how much is he eating at a time? if he is eating more than his little tummy can hold that my cause him to spit it up. but do keep and eye on it and let the pedi know, that way if it does develop into something more there will be some history there. if he starts crying with feeding, refusing bottles, arching his back, you will want to call asap. i hope that he is just a happy spitter, though.

congrats on your boys!! my twinks came at exactly 35 weeks too!

8. ymillenbaugh

ymillenbaugh Well-Known Member

Both my boys had really bad gas and had really irregular poop habits on Neosure for the first month, month and a half they were on it. Pedi always told me not to worry. Mylicon did work well for us for the gas tho.

Neosure is really heavy on their little systems, but they do get used to it. I begged the pedi to switch they to a gentler formula and he told me to give it a while because the benefits outweighed the negetives. He was right....