neverending stuffy nose -- so tired of it!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by kbaldwin, Mar 30, 2009.

1. kbaldwin

kbaldwin Well-Known Member

Does anyone else's nose stuff up EVERY night, with no actual cold virus in sight? Since the very early days of this pregnancy, I wake up at three or four in the morning, unable to breathe and sometimes to fall back asleep, which is SO frustrating. I have a humidifier right near my head, and I try to get as much out of my nose before I go to sleep (TMI, but always big, gross boogers), but I can only get sporadic good nights' sleep -- and I'm sure this will only feel worse once I feel movement and get larger. Anyone happen to have any advice (or empathy?!)? Thank you!

2. Jooles

Jooles Active Member

I totally feel your pain. I had a cold back in October and my congestion never cleared up. I swear I should buy stock in the Kleenex company I go through so much of the stuff. I hear the congestion is caused by increased blood flow in the body. The bright side is it should go away once the babys arrive.

Hang in there. I know it is not easy.

3. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:hug: I had that during pregnancy. <_< No one ever mentions that this can happen during pregnancy, right? :laughing: I hope that it eases up for you a bit so you can breathe and sleep. :hug:

4. lewis514

lewis514 Well-Known Member

Yep, I've had nasal congestion - it is considered normal to have during pregnancy.
    Just keep tabs on how you're feeling. I ended up with a sinus infection 2 weeks ago due to it. I just thought I had hit the wall of getting to the end of the pregnancy but after antibiotics, I felt like a new woman.

5. kbaldwin

Thanks so much, all, for your quick replies! :) I guess I'll take this over the terrible, persistent headaches I had with my previous pregnancy, but I had no idea about this congestion issue.... ugh. So sorry that others have to suffer like this as well. And thank you for the warning about signs of illness -- I'll make sure not to "blow" it off! (Ha!)

6. boog9902

boog9902 Well-Known Member

Oh i remember those nights all to well it wasn't great ... I will tell you this after you have the babies you will notice the difference right away i know i did the first night after i had my boys my nose was nice and clear for the first time in months :) Hang in there !!!

7. kbaldwin

So glad to hear that it clears up right away! :) (I just wish I weren't only 16 weeks!)

8. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

Ahh.. I had a stuffy nose for months on end.. no one told me this could happen! I can't even imagine how many boxes of tissue I must have went through. :laughing: Hope it clears up for you soon!

9. cassier17

cassier17 Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat. I chalked it up to allergies. I actually went to the doctor, he thought I had a possible sinus infection too, cause my headaches were SO bad. But antibiotics did no good, so I stopped those, tried benedryl, NOTHING helped. I was exhausted.

The headaches were the worst part, I mean headaches where I cant get off the couch, and I have a 2 year old to care for all day. I finally tried wearing my glasses all day, since the headache was behind my eyes (sinusy), and voolah, the headache was gone (for the most part). I wear glasses for reading, thats it....but now I ahve to wear them all day every day.

My point is, pregnancy does weird things. And I still wake at 2-3am, and the nose fills up, and I go through boxes of tissues a week, my husband is in disbelief with me. :0

10. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

I had that my whole pregnancy plus nosebleeds!! It did clear up pretty fast after delivery. Saline drops helped a little but Im sure you are already doing that :)

11. jvanmourik

jvanmourik Well-Known Member

I have the congestion, headaches and nosebleeds big time! One thing that has helped a little at night is putting a little peppermint oil in the humidifier at night. I feel your pain and can't wait till it ends either!

12. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

oh i've got those stuffy nose joys made worse with crying spells.

oh and i tend to salivate a lot more and my husband now complains that i spit on him when i'm talking to him.

13. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

QUOTE(agentplatypus @ Mar 30 2009, 06:18 PM) [snapback]1251150[/snapback]
    I have the congestion, headaches and nosebleeds big time! One thing that has helped a little at night is putting a little peppermint oil in the humidifier at night. I feel your pain and can't wait till it ends either!

nosebleeds? i thought that was unrelated to pregnancy! glad to know i'm not having them randomly for no reason. seems to only occur after a shower though as i'm blowing my nose. ughhhhhh the joys of pregnancy!