New book to suggest for those interested

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by 5280babies, Feb 8, 2011.

1. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

I have the luxury of living by a neighbor/friend who is a family and parenting coach. Kind of like nanny 911 meets reputable child developmental psychologist. Anyway, she is wonderful and had referred the book Siblings Without Rivalry which I consider one of the best books out there for parenting. Anyway, I have another book I just finished and it blew my mind so I thought I would refer it. It is called Parenting from the Inside Out: How a deeper self-understanding can help you raise children who thrive. I will warn you. This is a book that forces you to reflect on yourself, acknowledge your childhood, your habits, etc. It is an emotional read - just like Sibling Without Rivalry. It covers several topics, from how we perceive reality, how we make attachments and connections, how we remember experiences, etc. So what will we do differently with our children based on our childhood and what will we pass along out of habit because it is too difficult to change or remember even. Powerful stuff. But it makes you think. I love the example of parents who repeat behavior that they didn't like even though they don't want to...I can relate to this and fight it all the time...a.k.a. yelling when I am tired! My family is full of yellers and I detest it and I don't want to become it. The authors are Daniel J. Siegel, MD, and Mary Hartzell, M.Ed. if you are interested. Thanks :)

1 person likes this.
  2. betha

betha Well-Known Member

Hi Betsy, I've read this book, too (and several other by Daniel Siegel). I'm a clinical social worker and I started reading his work when I was a therapist for children and families. I've seen him speak at a training on the topic of parenting, and he was fantastic. The crowd was a mixed group, both parents and professionals. I think everyone appreciated his He is very low key, but really inspiring and insightful. He does a lot of speaking engagements in LA, and I hope to see him again someday. Thanks for the reminder, I might try to read his book again (in my spare time!). I'm sure it would have a whole new meaning now that I am a parent.

3. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

Oh gosh - I would LOVE to see him speak. I will have to look up to see if ever comes through Denver. Thanks :)

4. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I think siblings without rivalry is a great book so I might have to check that one out! :)