New here

Discussion in 'General' started by LaRae81, Aug 5, 2008.

1. LaRae81

LaRae81 Well-Known Member

Hi my name is LaRae. I am 27 and think it's ready to start my homeschooling. I just don't know how to start. Any advise. My twins are almost 2 and a half.

2. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

At 2.5, it really is all about fun. You can get into curriculums if you want or just make every day life learning fun. Find the number/letter game at the store, measuring cups when making meals, counting steps as you climb them, adding buttons together, sorting paperclips, all of those just as examples.

3. slr814

slr814 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with what pp said. At 2.5 school should mostly be about fun. Studies show that young children learn best with hands on activities. So I wouldn't worry about work books right now; but instead do a lot of block building, play-doh, and finger paint. Other things like kid friendly nature hikes, and story time at the libray are great too. And of course reading lots of story books and singing songs help with reading down the road.

4. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

I agree with both of the pps. Depending on how vocal your kids are you can work on getting them to sing the ABC's if you repeat it often enough (or find a wonderful toy that sings it at the push of a button) they will naturally pick up on it. You might want to introduce the pencil at this age. Just give it to them with a blank sheet of paper and let them scribble. You really want to focus on building fine motor skills. This is as easy as dumping a handful of Cheerios in a bowl and having them move them back and forth between bowls (make a row of different looking shapes like tall cups, short cups, big bowls, colorful bowl, etc to keep it interesting). If your kids are like mine though you might have to use dried beans, cause Cheerios only go one place and that is in their mouth :rolleyes: . Again depending on vocal skills (mine were/are all speech delayed which is why I qualify everything), you can also work on color recognition. Easily introduced by making sure you say the names of the colors of crayons before you hand them over. Eventually switch to making them ask for the right color. Ok I am running out of ideas so I will stop rambling now.