new to bedrest with dynamic/funneling cervix

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Zevy, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Zevy

Zevy Active Member

Hi ladies,

I have been browsing the forum for awhile, but as of today decided it would be better to post. I had three severe bleeding episodes early in this pregnancy (second pregnancy: I have a 20 month old son). Had an u/s at 17 weeks and confirmed everything was ok and I was having two girls, most likely fraternal. My OB was surprised, as she was already expecting to see cervical changes.

Well, today we saw them. My cervix has funneled slightly (going from around 2.5 cm to .5 at the smallest). I am now off work completely and on strict bedrest at home. I can shower, sit, and can move from room to room (and up stairs if necessary...bathroom is only upstairs) but that is it. I see my OB again in a month to check and make sure my cervix is not softened and is still closed, and then another ultrasound in four weeks. She said to bring a bag and expect to check into the hospital for at least a few days, where they will give me steroid shots and monitor me more closely. In the meantime I will also be on progesterone suppositories. No clerage since she thinks it may cause more bleeding and irritation.

Like I'm sure most of you are, I'm generally a very active, Type A person. I have a toddler, but luckily also have a nanny so I dont' have to worry about childcare. But not interacting with him as much as I'd like will be very difficult...he can't understand why I can't pick him up or really do much with him. My husband is also a very active parent and will be taking over all of the household duties.

Just thought I'd introduce myself. Any tips, recommendations, etc., would be most helpful. To be honest, I'm afraid to do much baby planning, although I should probably get over that. Its hard to even try to enjoy this pregnancy now since I'm so scared something will go wrong...

2. calimom

calimom Member

How many weeks are you now? Honestly, I am very surprised that your next check is in 4 weeks. I am seeing the doc every week to get checked and for the last few weeks had to go 2x per week. My cervix is not funneling but has shortened (now .9) and I am feeling the contractions I am having. I have been on bedrest for 7 weeks now when my cervix went from a solid 4+ to 2.4 in a week at 22 1/2weeks. I too was told my cervix was dynamic. During my 5 min ultrasound last week it went from 4.1 to 1.9cm. Now it just stayed at .9. You are lucky to have your toddler taken care of. I am in similar situation. My son turns 2 tomorrow and it has been hard for him to understand why I can't get up all the time to play or hold him. I am normally very active- do marathons and triathlons and already have our triple jog stroller waiting to go. SO, this is SO HARD to sit still. But, we put an extra queen size mattress on the living room floor and that has made things easier b/c at least I am down at my son's level and he can come play/snuggle with me on the mattress. Are you having contractions too, or just cervix changes?

3. Zevy

Zevy Active Member

I'm not getting other checks because it wouldn't change the course of treatment. I am not a candidate for a cerclage, so if anything were changing there isn't anything that could be done anyway. The error in measurement would also come into play, and changes of even 1 cm can be relatively meaningless, especially if your cervix is dynamic. Thus, more u/s wouldn't give any additional information. There is also concern that multiple u/s could actually irritate my cervix and make things worse, as would the constant traveling/sitting for appointments. I am getting an internal in a week to check for dilation, but no u/s until the end of the month. At that point I will be viable, and I'll be starting weekly checks since at that point the babies actually have a shot at survival and the benefits outweigh the risks. Right now, the risk of me going in is higher than any benefit since the additional information wouldn't add anything.

No, no contractions. I actually feel fine other than regular pregnancy aches/pains.

Triple job stroller! Interesting. We have a single now and haven't thought yet about what I want for after they are born. I am able to lay on the couch while my son plays near me so I do get a little of that...but it is just so hard to not be able to do everything I used to do with him. I feel so guilty about that.

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

Stop! Or try not to anyway. :hug: You are doing the very best you can right now, and he is not going to remember these very few short months(although not short while you are on bedrest!). My son was about 2 when I went on strict bedrest for 9 weeks.

I would spend as much time as you can in the horizontal position, as that will take a lot of the pressure off of your cervix. Hang in there, I know it's hard. :hug:

5. Zevy

Zevy Active Member

Thank you. That really is the hardest part. I know he won't remember, but I will and i feel bad for missing out on this special time....once I am up I'll have the twins so things will be completely different.

last night my MIL, my husband, and my son were leaving to go out to dinner. I was laying on the couch. My son came over to me and started pulling on my arm, saying 'Mommy, mommy', meaning he wanted me to come and why wasn't I getting up to put on my coat. :(

I cry just thinking about it.

6. becky5

becky5 Guest

I know exactly how you feel. :hug: Bedrest was one of the most difficult times of my life, but it's SO worth it in the end. Not only is just laying there difficult(who would have thought it?!), but the amount of time to constantly worry about everything is enough to drive a person :crazy: ! Try and take it one day at a time, and ask your husband if he can order in next time. :hug: