New vs. Used

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Michelle B, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

I have been going through all my baby stuff that I had stashed away from my dd. I kept it all with the intention of using it with subsequent children. However, I am pregnant with two boys and all the pink just will not suffice! I did get a lot of yellow stuff with my dd that I could use again for the boys, but I find myself wanting to buy all new BLUE stuff for the boys. I know this is such a waste of perfectly good stuff and lots of hard earned money. I keep telling myself to be practical and re-use the things that I can, but then the devil sitting on my other shoulder keeps trying to convince me to buy new stuff!
    Any one else out there having this same dilemma??? [​IMG]

2. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

I have been going through all my baby stuff that I had stashed away from my dd. I kept it all with the intention of using it with subsequent children. However, I am pregnant with two boys and all the pink just will not suffice! I did get a lot of yellow stuff with my dd that I could use again for the boys, but I find myself wanting to buy all new BLUE stuff for the boys. I know this is such a waste of perfectly good stuff and lots of hard earned money. I keep telling myself to be practical and re-use the things that I can, but then the devil sitting on my other shoulder keeps trying to convince me to buy new stuff!
    Any one else out there having this same dilemma??? [​IMG]

3. MyRiley

MyRiley Member

I am in the same boat as you. I have a 2 1/2 yr old DD and I'm pg w/ twin boys. I went through all my DD's clothes that I saved and sold them to a consignment store last week. I only kept the newborn clothing that a boy could wear which was not much. I say keep the yellow and any mint color stuff for the boys. Although, if you have money to spend then go have fun buying new stuff for the boys.

Michelle

Riley Michelle 2/20/04

EDD 3/17/07

4. Mommy2PJ

Mommy2PJ Well-Known Member

I'm in the same dilemma, but even worse - I have a 11 month old DS, so I have all of his boy stuff, and I'm expecting twin boys... but I still keep buying more stuff!

I've bought preemie clothes which of course is justified just in case. But I'm also buying semi-matching stuff... I'm not totally into dressing them identical, but I'll buy the same thing, just different colors, etc.

So yeah, I'm really nuts, don't feel bad! [​IMG]

5. anglinstork

anglinstork Well-Known Member

I'm in the opposite boat!!! We were done!!! LOL!!! So I've gotten rid of EVERYTHING from my three previous kiddos!!!!! UGH!!! The only thing we kept was the crib!

So...we're in BIG trouble. Thank goodness my neighbor is throwing us a twin shower on Jan. 7th...I'm PRAYING we get most of the things on our list.

I would keep the yellow and green and then buy some more fun stuff!! [​IMG]

6. MommyWannabe

MommyWannabe Well-Known Member

Well, to justify the new stuff, take all your pink stuff and sell it to a consignment shop and use the profit to buy some boy stuff. Then splurge some more because every baby deserves at least a few (or 10-20 LOL) things that are just theirs and theirs alone.

7. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I know how you feel!! I have 3 boys! everything was BLUE but with these girls I just had to have GIRLY everything!!!! So that's what I did!! the consignment shop idea is a good one - I wish I had thought of that!! I gave all of my boy stuff away!!

8. Marbear

Marbear Well-Known Member

I think you are completely normal. My son was born in February 04 and these twins will be born in February. DS had twice as many clothes as he needed thanks to relatives buying stuff in addition to me preparing. I am not buying anything new (except maybe some newborn stuff since I didn't have that much) and tonight I told DH I feel bad because the twins are getting hand-me-downs from DS as far as clothes and are getting all of DS's used gear along with used crib and gear from friends and acquaintances who are finished with having kids. I think we feel like we have to do something special to prepare like we did the first time to be fair. I'm too broke to be fair right now, though!

9. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Well, I can relate to some degree. My DS, from the time he was a month old, wore one size larger than my DD. I could have easily reused some of the clothes, but I didn't. I wanted her to have cute new things, and I wanted Ben to wear jammies covered in dinosaurs. I did not want to have to buy gender neutral clothes knowing that Hannah would eventually wear them.

So I say get new things and donate or sell the old stuff.

10. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I have a lot of gender neutral newborn things b/c we did not find out what we were having with the twins. I'm expecting again and we're not finding out what we're having. I have TONS of clothes, but I know that once that baby is born that I'll be tempted to go buy some cute little blue or pink things for the new baby, but probably not too much! I'm hoping that my twin sister (who is due 6 weeks before me) has the opposite sex so that our babies can wear all of the cute coordinating things I have for my b/g twins!

11. amily1974

amily1974 Well-Known Member

It is hard. I love to shop, and clothing/accessories for babies/toddlers is too much fun to buy. They fit and look cute in everything! (unlike me). I have 2 sons, and the second has worn a lot of hand me downs, but still has a lot of newer stuff, a lot due to the fact he is in different sizes at different seasons, although at the rate he's growing (21.5 lbs at 9 month) he'll soon catch up to my oldest (28.5 lbs at 2.5 years). Our twins are both boys, but I feel like being twins they deserve some special things... plus, they are getting many twice handed down items...

Budget wise though, I understand and agree, keep what you can; sell what you can. I love shopping at outlets, clearance racks, and even thrift stores. Its like a treasure hunt to find nice things I normally couldn't afford!

DS Caleb 6/30/04
    DS Aidan 2/22/06
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. Beebs

Beebs Active Member

Oh Michelle- I relate! I went through all of my (two boys!) clothes and kept the things I loved and was planning to take the rest to the consignment store- but first I let my cousin take what she wanted just in case she has a boy- now I need to take the rest to the store.

Or we could trade! [​IMG]

But I have to tell you that I've had SO much fun buying gymboree stuff on sale and pottery barn kids crib stuff (totally could have used my old stuff!)

I hate to spend the money too, but it's just so fun! And I do think the girls (and your boys) deserve some of their own new stuff!

13. Merijo

Merijo Well-Known Member

Momm2PG - Just be careful buying too many preemie things. I had a preemie and he was in NICU for 1 month. He wore alot of hospital clothes even though I had tons of cute little outfits there in his drawer. The reason I think was that if he got wet or messy through the night, it was easier for the nurses to put on one of their one piece gowns than struggling with my cute outfits. Then when I came to visit, I didn't want to disturb him by changing him for no real reason. I did buy some beautiful preemie clothes but then he was 10 lbs by his due date - those didn't fit anymore!!

Not saying it's not fun and you won't need some, just keep it to things you really love?

All the best and here's hoping we don't need any preemie clothes!!!
    Merijo