Newbie Here--headache question

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by annacard, May 31, 2010.

1. annacard

annacard Member

Hi everyone. My DH and I found out at our NT screen that we were having twins! Now that the shock has worn off, we are starting to get excited. Unfortunately, I have been terribly sick this pregnancy. (First with nausea/vomiting, and now with awful headaches.) The headaches start in the back of my head at the base of my neck and work up my head. Anyone else have this problem? How long did it last, and did anything help? (I am currently just taking tylenol and drinking lots of water.)

Thanks!

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I didn't have headaches with my twin pregnancy but am having pretty bad headaches this time. I've had a headache on and off since last Thursday. :( I put a call in to my OB about it on Friday and was told I can take any tylenol product. In my case, I think it's sinus related b/c it's been storming here every afternoon and I think the change in pressure is what's giving me the headaches, so I've been taking tylenol sinus. Mine are at the front of my head, over an eye, not in my neck.

If your headaches don't go away soon I'd definitely call your OB and find out what else you can take, b/c tylenol doesn't always work.

3. jrg9171

jrg9171 Well-Known Member

Hi, I am also due November 20 with twins and have been having the most incredible headaches. And from what you are describing mine start and end up the exact same way. Some days I wake up with them, some days they don't come on until late morning or early afternoon, but I get them almost every day. I asked my OB about them and he told me that they were either stress or migranes and aside from Tylenol there wasn't much I could do about them except try to sleep them off. I completely feel your pain and if anyone does have any suggestions they are very welcome. I just keep telling myself that somehow they have to be temporary so good luck to you. I just try to drink as much water as I can, eat healthy and do everything I'm supposed to but it still doesn't help.

4. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

Mine get that way too sometimes. A lot of times when I have them the way you're describing it's a stress headache. I will have usually ate really bad the last few days, been overwhelmed, stressed out, and not drinking enough fluids. I would mention it to your obgyn next visit. I had some horrible headaches the first tri and beginning of second tri and they have gotten better. Good luck! :)

5. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great excuse for a massage. Seriously, it sounds like stress, and relaxing the muscles should help. Tylenol probably won't help because all it does is dull the pain recepters...you need to get rid of the cause.

6. annacard

annacard Member

Thanks everyone for your advice. After speaking to my OB, I stopped taking Zofran and my headaches have been much better...unfortunately my nausea is back with a vengeance. :nea: Oh well, hopefully that too will end soon. Again, thanks everyone for the advice.

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I got them almost every day with my twin pregnancy until about 16 weeks and Tylenol didn't help at all. I hope they ease up for you soon. :hug:

8. jessietrio

jessietrio Well-Known Member

Hi Anna...Zofran gave me terrible headaches, like clockwork, when I needed to take it during non-pregnant times. Just curious...did your doc offer an alternative med to Zofran for the nausea??

For a few weeks now I have been waking with headaches and finishing the day with headaches. I finally went to get a massage on the head, neck, shoulder area and WOW was it fantastic. The massage therapist worked on the 'headache' muscle and I could not believe how tense my neck and shoulders were [still are...I will go again next week].

I bought a sinus ice-pack from Amazon as well...and at night I tried sitting comfortably with a really cold ice pack at the base of my skull...afforded me time to watch important television like 'The Real Housewives of NYC' while listening to my husband talk. As long as I do not move, laugh, or talk too much it helps a bit.

Hope you are feeling better these days. I'm a newbie as well and feel your pain.

9. kcur21

kcur21 Member

I had the same horrible headaches too until about 16 weeks. I still get the occasional headache, but nothing like those early week headaches!!! It does get better...btw, the only thing that helped a little was to take 2 Tylenol and sit with a bag of frozen veggies on the back of my neck! Good luck!!

10. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

I also had aweful headhaches until 15-16 weeks? I drank Vitamin water with added B12, B6 and it did help a little. It's not like a real painkiller, but took the edge of pain.

11. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I had horrid headaches in the 2nd trimester with my twins. My OB said to drink coffee. I don't, but did start drinking Dr. Pepper or taking excedrin. Up til then I'd sworn off caffeine during pregnancy. The caffeine really helped. Opens up the capillaries or some such thing. They only lasted a couple of months and gradually eased up.

12. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

Mine were sinus and stress related. I alternated hot and cold packs for the former. I got prenatal messages for the later. I hope you feel better soon!