Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by KarenL, Aug 25, 2011.

1. KarenL

KarenL New Member

Hi Everyone! I'm Karen. My DH and I have been married 4 years and have a beautiful 16 month daughter. Well this has been a crazy month for us. In the beginning of August, we were surprised to find out I was pregnant. My due date is April 10th. Then last week we go and get an ultrasound at 6 weeks for dating purposes and Surprise! Surprise! - TWINS! We were extremely freaked out and scared when we found out. We were told baby A was measuring much smaller (6 weeks) than baby B (6 weeks 4 days). Had a repeat ultrasound. Baby A is catching up with Baby B. They both have great heart rates and are di-di. We are so happy everything looks good. The shock is starting to wear off and I'm starting to get excited. We are a little nervous about finances and providing for everyone but I know it will work out. I'd be interested to know how others prepared their older children for the babies and kept them from feeling left out or neglected. DD is a mild mannered sweet girl who entertains herself easily. The twins will be born a few weeks before her 2nd birthday. I just don't want her to get lost in the shuffle. Thanks! I look forward to chatting with everyone!

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:welcome: to TS!

Congrats on your babies. Mine were di/di and a good 3 days apart as well, at first. It was nothing for us to worry about; I just have had a smaller boy from the get-go. :)

I didn't have older kids when they were born but a lot of ladies here did so I'm sure you'll get some good tips as far as that goes.

3. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

COngrats and welcome to TS!

As for including your DD, what I did with my DS, who was around the same age as your daughter is when I found out I was having twins, I let him help out wiht putting baby stuff away. I bought him a doll to hold and love on. I let him touch my belly when the babies moved. I ended up on bedrest at 24 weeks so at that time I read him books when he got home from daycare, watched his favourite show with him. He turned 2 two weeks before the twins were born. Hope this helps!

4. Lindala25

Lindala25 Well-Known Member

My DS was 2 years 3 mos when my di/di boys were born. I told him there were babies in my belly while I was pregnant and talked about it frequently but I don't think he really got it. Honestly, I think at that age they can't truly understand it and what it means for them. On the flip side, I think he was too young to feel true resentment about how much of our time they take up when the twin arrived. He adjusted very well. DS is a very rambunctious, high-energy child so our biggest problem is getting him to be gentle enough with the twins but overall he loves his brothers and they smile and laugh at him. Congrats on your twins!

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hi Karen and welcome to Twinstuff! :welcome:

6. KarenL

KarenL New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. DD is a real easy going kid and I think she'll adjust well. She'll probably do better than me. lol. We plan on including her as much as is appropriate for her age. Im just really glad I found this site! Thanks again everyone!

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:welcome: to TS, Karen! Congratulations on your pregnancy and I wish you a healthy and happy one!

8. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Welcome. Those US measurements can be off by quite a bit, so try not to get too worried about them.

Have a happy, healthy pregnancy!

1 person likes this.
  9. luvrkids

luvrkids Well-Known Member

:welcome: Karen And Congrats, I'm pg also and due April 14th my first appt isnt until Sept 2nd I will be 8 weeks.

10. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Hi Karen, Congratulations for your pregnancy and welcome to twinstuff!

11. Tobaira

Tobaira Well-Known Member

congratulations and welcome!