Nicole Johnson

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lauravic, Apr 12, 2011.

1. lauravic

lauravic Member

Hey all,

Can anyone out there vouch for Nicole Johnson from The Baby Sleep Site? My husband and I are attachment parents, but we are having zero luck getting the babies to sleep through the night. We are hoping to find a way to reconcile attachment parenting philosophies with some form of sleep training.

Thanks!

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I haven't heard of her, but I know some parents on this site have gone the attachment method route so hopefully they can help out! How old are your LO's? What kind of things are you finding difficult? Perhaps someone has some advice.

3. lauravic

lauravic Member

Hi Jen,

We have boy/girl twins who are just over 9 months old (7 months adjusted). For a while we seemed to be making some progress on getting them to sleep through the night, but there was a period about 6 weeks ago where they caught a couple of colds back to back which really disrupted their sleep (due to breathing difficulties) and we haven't recovered since then!

Now we can get them to sleep quite easily most of the time (our little girl on daddy's chest as he walks round the room, and our little boy is nursed to sleep). The problem is that they wake about 45 minutes after they are put down and then every hour or two during the night. We can usually get them back off to sleep quite easily using the same methods as above, but putting them back down in the crib or on the bed is not so easy (we have been doing a mix of co-sleeping and trying to transition to the crib).

We suspect the problem is that the twins have developed strong sleep associations with rocking/nursing, but there don't seem to be any methods that break these associations without crying, which we want to avoid if possible. However, the constant sleep disruption is affecting both me and my husband - we'd be okay if there was an end in sight, but it sounds as this could go on for years from the research we've done!

We'd love to hear from any parents who have used the attachment method - how did you solve your sleep problems?!

Thanks

Laura

4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

There are books out there like the No cry sleep solution that I know other parents have had a lot of success with.

We got into the same scenario at roughly the same age as your twins.. one cold turned our world upside down and we found it impossible. We ended up having to CIO as they were so accustomed to rocking that we just couldn't get a break. However, that's not to say that there aren't other methods out there that will work. Whatever method you choose, remain consistent and don't feel guilty about it.. it's very important for you to get rest too so you can be a functional and happy mom!

5. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

I second the No Cry Sleep Solution book. I believe the author is an attachment parent and she has a lot of suggestions for gradually transitioning your babies from parent led sleep associations to baby led.

6. lauravic

lauravic Member

Thanks - we've been using the No Cry Sleep Solution, which has some great suggestions such as the nighttime routine, that have helped.

The problem is that she doesn't have any great ideas for breaking sleep associations such as nursing/rocking to sleep. The method she suggests is to put the baby down drowsy and then comfort if she stirs. In our case, if the baby isn't completely asleep when we put him/her down, they immediately wake up, and then we are back to nursing or rocking (which I am worried is just strengthening the sleep association). The alternative is to let the baby cry, which we'd rather not do, but feel as though we're running out of options.

7. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

She has a suggestion that I used for breaking one of my twins from being dependent on the pacifier to sleep. I think its called Pantley Pull Off and I think she says it can be used to help break the nursing to sleep habit. It helped my twin- he uses the pacifier to fall asleep, but doesn't need it to stay asleep now.

8. kma13

kma13 Well-Known Member

Hi!
    I am reading The Sleep Easy Solution (forget the author(s) sorry!) but they have what they call "least cry" methods. And I really liked the formula for getting rid of unnecessary night feedings. They might have something for you. The pediatrician said she really doesn't need 3 feedings at night any more (6 mos 16 lbs). But that we should keep at least one feeding to ensure my supply so I only read that part but I am sure she has more stuff!

9. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I love Nicole Johnson's website! I would totally recommend her. I have read many of her e-books as well. She works with parents of various philosophies. If you'd like more help than what she has for free on her website, her e-mail consultations are reasonably priced. She also has someone working with her now who is a mom of twins.

10. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Before CIO, we did sleep train our twins. We rocked them until they were drowsy but not asleep yet. then we put them down in cribs. patted their butts. they fussed. its ok. If they woke up, then we repeated the process over again until they completely fell asleep on their own in the cribs. But then around 5-6 months, they were teething so bad. And we had to drive them around so they could fall asleep. I couldnt live like that anymore so at 6.5 months, I decided CIO. And it worked wonder. They sleep at night and nap in the days so well. They still sleep like 15 hours/day now (10-11 hrs at night, 2-3 hours first nap and 1-2 hours second nap) I was like you, totally against CIO. But i am so glad I decided to do it. It saved our family. And it was the best for the twins as well. GL!