Night Potty training

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by marcymiller, Jun 14, 2012.

1. marcymiller

marcymiller Well-Known Member

Both girls are day trained. Brooklyn has been for quite some time. Kaimely struggled with it for a long time. She seemed unable to tell when she had to pee until she was already peeing. Time and patience on my part has finally cured that! She's been doing GREAT for about 4 months now!! So, they just turned 4 and are wearing pull-ups at bedtime. It has occurred to me that I am very likely the reason they are not night trained! It has also occurred to me that aside from limiting their fluid intake after a certain time in the evening, I have no idea what else to do to help with this! They both wake up wet 80% of the time. Someone, please advise:)

2. paulacraft1

paulacraft1 Well-Known Member

Mine are 4 1/2 and still in pull-ups at night. Been day trained for over a year.... So def looking for same advice !!!

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I really think night training is something that they have mature to and every kid this happens differently. Other then restricting fluids after a certain time, I am not sure what you can do to help them stay dry at night. My two did it on their own. The 3 day program suggests to have them go potty 1 hour after bed and 1 hour before waking for the day, but I am not sure how you would feel about waking them 2 more times overnight. For both of you, have your children had any nights where they have stayed dry? Maybe you could make a big deal about having underwear at night and that the underwear wants to stay dry overnight.
    Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You can't actually train a child to stay dry at night. It's a developmental milestone that has more to do with sleep & the ability to wake up when they need to go to the bathroom than anything else. You can encourage them to get up & use the potty at night while they're still in pull ups & see where that gets you. Also, I don't think pedis consider it a concern until children are 7 or 8 years old.

3 people like this.
  5. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

My daughter is 4 yrs 3 months, and nowhere close to being night trained. She wakes up wet 90% of the time, and the times she wakes up dry I think is just luck. At our 4 year pediatrician visit I asked what we should do. She told me until they're like 6 or older, it's not really a concern. It's just something their body needs to do on it's own. She said until she was waking up dry more consistently (like 75% of the time), she wouldn't even bother with watching fluid intake and waking her at night to go.

My son did it himself while he day trained. He's a light sleeper though.

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ditto the other's, unlike day training, nighttime training is a developmental thing, some kids get it early, some don't. I also wouldn't start restricting fluids until they are waking up dry most mornings. And I agree that dr's won't even consider it an issue until they are in the 7-8 range. There's a good reason they have the goodnight's for older kids ;)

Unfortunately it's just one of those things you gotta wait for their body to mature to ;) My dd is fully day trained, and is only damp in the mornings very very rarely, so I could probably have her in undies overnight. However, I'm in no real rush, since we have some camping trips this summer and I don't want to have to bring extra sheets in case of an accident, not to mention waterproof sheets or chux pads to put under her. My son is nowhere near potty trained (although he'll poop in the potty, but is too lazy to pee), and he wakes up soaking wet every morning. Not really pushing him either, although i do wish he'd stop being lazy and finish daytime training! :lol:

7. marcymiller

marcymiller Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the valuable and greatly appreciated input!! I will be patient and begin (or continue and exaggerate) discussing how amazingly big girl it is to wake up and use the potty in the middle of the night! I'll also put up a new cool night light in the bathroom since they are both recently afraid of the dark (we already have a night light in there for them... but the new really cool one might make a world of difference!)

1 person likes this.
  8. abrinka

abrinka Well-Known Member

My kids love to drink water so limiting is not an option. How can I say: "sorry B, you can't have water anymore?". They drink milk like 1/2 hour before bed and then water right before bed, then go pee and sleep through the night, sometimes when it's hot like now, they would get up at night asking for water, so I do not expect them to be dry in the morning.
    Like PP night time potty training will happen on it's on when they are ready, so nothing for me to worry or do about it at this time. Just encourage,make a big deal when they get up dry and that's it.

9. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Of my 6, the first two were night trained within a year after being daytime trained, probably before they were 4. Adam was dry at night before he was daytime trained and never needed pullups at night after he decided he was potty trained, a month before he turned 3. The girlies? They're 6 1/2 and still in pullups at night. Otherwise I change sheets 4+ times/week. Spencer is daytime trained and still wears pullups at night. But he just turned 3.

I think it's more a developmental thing than anything else.