Night Terrors Ear Infection From HELL

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by fancybeltran, Jan 26, 2011.

?

Which one do you deal with the most?

1. night terrors

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. ear infections

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. fancybeltran

fancybeltran Well-Known Member

My TS has had an ear infection well all the kids have had the

1. Scarlet Fever
    2. Head Colds
    3. Ear Infections
    4. Stomach Bug
    5. Ear Infections

All in that order since the beginning of Dec.
    Has anyone dealt with this the twins have been on amox. for the ear infection the first time.
    One of them cleared right up the other well his isnt GOING AWAY.
    They up his Rx. to something stronger but it made him sicker so I took him off and asked for stronger amox. which did nothing but make his stomach more upset and made him not want to eat.

I dont want to put tubes in their ears for many reasons. But I think at this time the Drs are a little worried. Has anyone else dealt with this problem.

Plus on top of that he wakes up with Night terrors it seems like it. He just doesnt respond to being held or trying to talk to him. He literally just screams for about 15 mins and slowly wakes up and grabs his ear and just screams and then will maybe go back to sleep usually it takes about an 1 hour to get him back to sleep.

His sis is not like that she pretty much sleeps through the night.

2. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I haven't dealt with ear infections, thankfully. We have had a GI bug colds/flu and teething the last 3 weeks though.

My oldest had night terrors and they were horrible. We ended up seeing a Naturopathic Doctor and using homeopathy to stop them. One dose of his homeopathic remedy and the night terrors stopped...I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it happen. Could also help with the ears if you're looking for alternatives to the tubes.

So sorry about the ear infections...I hope everyone gets better soon.

3. fancybeltran

[quote name='E's 3' date='26 January 2011 - 09:06 AM' timestamp='1296050766' post='1752574']
    I haven't dealt with ear infections, thankfully. We have had a GI bug colds/flu and teething the last 3 weeks though.

My oldest had night terrors and they were horrible. We ended up seeing a Naturopathic Doctor and using homeopathy to stop them. One dose of his homeopathic remedy and the night terrors stopped...I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it happen. Could also help with the ears if you're looking for alternatives to the tubes.

So sorry about the ear infections...I hope everyone gets better soon.
    [/quote]

How do you find the Naturpathic Dr.?
    The Drs want to give him an antibotic shot but I am not into introducing alot of medicine into a young child body.

4. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I'm in Canada...there is a Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors and also one specific for Ontario so you can find one that way. I see you're in the US so I'm not sure what to suggest. You could try searching on the internet but you want to make sure they are accredited and licensed to practice so you have to be careful. I wish I had a more helpful answer for you. Do you have any friends who may have used one in your city?

5. mnm000

mnm000 Well-Known Member

Ugh, Sick babies is so hard!

I have one DS who has struggle with ear infections since about 6-7 months. Last year in Oct he got his first ear infection, and he would finish a course of antibioitics and then be okay for a few days then the infection would start building. We ended up getting tubes in January of LAST year because he was basically on antibiotics for 4 months. All of the antibiotics were hard on his gut - diarrhea and poor appetite. He didn't sleep well, and he wasn't talking.

Let me tell you - since the tubes, he has started talking, hasn't had an ear infection since and went a year without having to be on an antibiotic....

Leading to now, his tubes just fell out, and he got his first ear infection in over a year and we are back to the same thing. The way the pain in his ears wakes him up, you would think it was a night terror, but it's the pain! When the tubes were working, he never woke up screaming the way he did when he got this ear infection. And now that the antibiotics are in his system he's sleeping better again. Poor kiddo. Looks like we are heading back for a second set of tubes.. It was a quick and simple procedure, and I think the benefits for a child who has recurrent/unresolved ear infections outweigh the risks. So my vote is that if the screaming/night terror behavior just started with the sickness/ear infections, I think it's highly likely that it's ear pain!

It's crazy, because his fraternal twin brother has never had an ear infection!

6. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Ear pain is one of the worst pains you can have. He is in SEVERE pain!! I would tube him or make sure he's getting that infection cleared up. He can have permanent hearing damage from scarring cuz his ear drum will eventually burst. Poor guy!!

We tubed our boys and it has been WONDERFUL to not deal w/ EIs all the time!

Good luck. Ear pain is HORRIBLE!

7. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

My little sister has hearing loss from ear infections. We had jessy tubed at about 3.5 I think and it really changed her. She didn't have as many night terrors and started speaking better quickly. We had her tubes put in in office with only a local. It took less than 5 min and she cried very little.

8. fancybeltran

My son speaks clearly and much better than my daughter. he can count to 5 in english and spanish and he can put things together. pretty easy

I guess I am scared to do the tube thing because in my family the tube thing requires speech therapy and some sign language some to communicate.

Have you had to deal YET with the Speech therapy part?

9. fancybeltran

I have since changed and took them and hte rest of the family completely off of the milk. to see if the milk and him being lactose intolerant is causing his system to slow down to the point of not getting over this infection.

10. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Jessy has no problems speech wise. In prek the who school is evaulated to make sure all the kids who need it get help. It could be that other family members already had a lot of hearing loss by the time they were tubed. Whit has 30% hearing loss in both ears and can't hear certain tones. We all started learning sign thinking she'd need it but with speech therapy she functions

11. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

We have been lucky in that our boys' ear infections have been fairly mild, as far as how they react to them. We were actually surprised to find out at a WBV that Brandon even had an ear infection, because he had shown no signs of one. The doctor prescribed an antibiotic then, but B did not tolerate it well that time (he had amox a few months prior and did ok, but not this time). So I decided if he wasn't in obvious discomfort I would just stop w/ the antibiotic and let it clear up on its own (which it did). Now if he was having night terrors or just crying all the time, I would have definitely tried to keep giving the antibiotics!!

As for ear pain, I wholeheartedly agree with it being one of the worst pains you can have! About 6 months ago the whole family came down with a cold including me, and my cold dragged on for over 2 weeks. Then one night (near the end of the cold) my left ear just started building up with pressure. I had not experienced a true earache/ eardrum rupture since I was 18 (and I'm 36 now) but it was as painful this time as it was back then (which I vividly remember). As the pressure built and built it became unbearable. I took a hot steamy bath hoping that the steam would lessen the pain (heat does usually help w/ ear pain, but didn't help me then), and I took a lortab leftover from my DH's previous surgery (which didn't even touch the pain, at all). I literally rocked back and forth with tears streaming down my face just begging my eardrum to go ahead and rupture. When it did the pressure finally alleviated as I expected. Anyway, I can honestly say that that earache/eardrum rupture was FAR more painful than any pain I experienced during the birth of my boys!! More painful that the labor, epidural, and pushing. WAY more painful!

Though not all kids' ear infections are that bad or result in a ruptured eardrum. Just saying that if it is a really bad infection, I can totally understand why they wake with what seems to be "night terrors".