Night time settling down for 15 month olds

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sottovoce, Aug 6, 2008.

1. sottovoce

sottovoce Well-Known Member

For the past nine months or so, I have read to the children 20 minutes a day, 3x a day - before each of two naps and before bedtime. They sat in their bouncy chairs and I put them in the bouncy chair harness and they pretty much tolerated it. My DS would squawk more than my DD but he was usually super tired and would settle down quickly. They would often fall asleep before I was done reading.

Lately my DD really did not seem to like the routine so I thought perhaps they have outgrown it -- and so I went somewhat in the other direction. Now for the past two days, I have read to them -- sort of library style -- and let them roam around the room. It isn't particularly rewarding for me. The kids don't seem very interested in what I am reading and just go around the the room jiggling the drawers and pulling things off the book case and using their bouncy chairs as little mini trampolines. I still read to them 20 minutes and then before the last book, which is always Time for Bed by Mem Fox, I tell them this is the last story and then I read it and then sing my usual songs.

So there they are fully alert, engaging their environment and then I say "time for bed" and give them a kiss. So I don't feel very settled and they don't seem very settled but after all of this they are probably asleep in 5 to 10 minutes (with some serious squawking at the beginning).

I worry they will never come back to books but deep down I know they like their books because they engage them at other times during the day.

Can you all suggest more soothing/unwinding approaches to bed time for 15 month olds? I feel out of my element now.

Thanks!

Sotto

2. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

Reading on your bed with the lights dim and only a light to read the book. This would mean less play activities and only the book is the main focus. Possible bath before bed to use up some last bit of energy and also wind down. Some lavender baby lotion...

3. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

Do you think they could be ready to go down to one day-time nap instead of two? I was really nervous about dropping a nap but I have to admit I LOVE the one-nap day! We made the switch at 14 months - I was so sick of fighting their afternoon nap and bedtime. Now they nap at noon and go to bed for the night between 6:30 and 7:00. They go down for their nap MUCH better now.

Maybe my response is slightly off topic, but I remember being soooo frustrated with my pre-sleep routine (I do read too, as you know) and switching to one nap has helped a lot. And with time the single nap has become pretty long in duration (phew!) so I end up with a pair of happy, well-rested boys most days.

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

That was about the age that I thought about abandoning the whole book reading in Mommy's lap thing. And I let them roam for one night and that was that. They went back in my lap and they just needed to learn that this is what we do at night before we got to bed. 20 mins might be too long...we do 3 quick board books and 3 songs. Be consistent and they will learn. Mine still sit in my lap at 20 months.

And to a PP a great suggestion about going to one nap...might be a good possibility.

5. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

We sit in the floor and the boys sit between my legs and I hold the book out for them. We use dim lighting, enough to read, and they point things out and turn pages for me. I found that helped mine to focus on the book. If I let them roam, they get wound up and won't focus on the reading time and won't wind down for nap or bedtime.

6. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

the girls get a bath and their jammies,

then we sit on my bed and read a story. Much easier when DH is home, he holds them and I read.