Night training

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Poohbear05, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

So while I was gone over the summer (deployed) DH decided to try to night train the girls (3.5). I'm not sure exactly how many accidents they had - or if they are regressing now that I'm home, or what, but so far this week I've washed bedding no fewer than 5 times. It's not the same kid every time, and both of them will generally go 2-3 days w/o an accident, but they are having a minimum of 2-3 accidents a week at night time.

Are they just not ready for night time training??

DH never put a potty in their room and was still locking their door (so they really had no way of using the toilet at night) since I've been home I've put the training potty in their room and emphasized if they need to go potty to try to use that. They have a couple of times. I don't make a big deal if they do have an accident - I leave each of them a change of underwear and new PJ's on their nightstand and tell them to take the wet pad off and change and just go back to bed. For the most part they will but like last night - NO ONE slept because when 'T' woke up to change, she woke her sister up, which caused them both to be up for another hour or so and made DH fall asleep with them....

I'm thinking we should put them back in diapers for a while longer. They've been daytrained and nap trained for about a year and a half now (daytrained since the day they turned 2, nap trained since about 2.5) but I think the night training is just going to take a bit longer - what do you think???

2. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

My girls have been day trained since they were 2. However, they still can't hold it all night long and they are 4. Some nights they wake up dry. But it isn't consistent enough for me to risk having to strip sheets in the middle of the night. Our pedi. said that night time is developmental. Some kids just have smaller bladders.

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If they are having an accident 2-3 times a week at night, I personally feel they are not ready to be in underwear at night, I'd put them back in pull ups at night.

4. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Amy.

My boys both wear pull ups at night. My daughter started wearing underwear at night over the summer. she has an occasional accident, but her twin brother wakes up with a wet pull up pretty much every morning. He is 5. He just sleeps so soundly that he doesn't realize. My 3 1/2 year old has an occasional dry night, but has a wet pull up more often.

5. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Night training is a maturing thing. You can't train them they can only train you and since they are locked in it sounds like torture all around. That said jazz was 4.5 before she could go all night

6. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Ian is 4.5 and I still put him in pull ups at night...more for security than anything...

7. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

If your DH is sure about it, I'd give him laundry duty. I agree with the pp's. When they're ready and the sheets are consistently dry, they're ready. 'Til then, they're just not ready.

8. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am a firm believer that you can't really night train a child. How can they learn to not wet the bed when they are asleep a the time? It is totally a maturity thing & I left mine in diapers or pullups until they were staying dry every single night for a month or so. I figured it has to be upsetting for them to wake up in a wet bed when they can't do anything to control it, so we just didn't make a big deal out of it & eventually they started staying dry.

1 person likes this.
  9. Jen620

Jen620 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Annie is almost 8 and is still wet pretty much every morning. The little girls are always dry. It will happen when it's time. I don't worry about it.