Night training

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Rollergiraffe, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I need help. The boys are not night trained, but they have been potty trained during the day for about 7 months (with the occasional accident). Austin is occasionally dry, Miles is almost never dry at night. We've tried restricting liquids, we've been talking up the idea of getting up at night to pee and wearing more comfortable underwear to bed. Miles especially seems really into that idea, but we can't get him up at night at all. If we do, he screams and will stand there forever without peeing. He is quite stubborn about going to the bathroom during the day as well, although he rarely has accidents.

I don't know whether to wait and just find something more absorbent than a pullup (diapers don't fit them anymore, so .. umm.. depends? I don't know). I am afraid of going cold turkey, because I tried that with daytime training and the boys proved to be incredibly stubborn about it. I can't face weeks on end of laundry.

I have used an entire tin of laundry soap in the last month; it normally takes me four months! I bought brand new quilts today because the old ones have had the stuffing washed out of them, and Miles already has a wet bed at 11 pm. They're really good about changing themselves in the morning, but they set their pullups on the carpet before they throw them out, and their jammies go in their closet, and it smells like pee everywhere. This wasn't in the parenting manual. HELP! 

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Are they wearing pull ups to bed?

You can't train overnight pottying. Their bodies are either ready or not. Anna has been in underwear overnight for years. Jack is still in pull ups at 5.

2 people like this.
  3. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I would go back to pull-ups at night for the time being. DD has been night-trained for quite a while (they both daytrained early), DS is nowhere close: He wanted to try when DD moved to underwear at night, but after a soaked bed several times per night over a few weeks he decided to go back to pull-ups (I had suggested that before but he is very stubborn too). So now he often gets up once a night to pee, but the pull-ups are still pretty wet most mornings and sometimes soak through everything, his body just is not ready yet and I don't want to turn this into a battle. Our pedi said boys' bodies often take longer, it's a hormone-regulated thing.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Jen, I would try the goodnights overnight pull ups, if they no longer fit in the regular kind.
    Overnight training is something you cannot train, they will be ready in their own time.  

Before Luke started staying dry at night, I used a mattress protector on the mattress, then the sheets, lined the top of the sheets with the blue chux bad and cover the pad with old towels.  It did help with the wash, the only things that had to be changed were normally the chux pad, towel and child.

2 people like this.
  5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I 2nd Goodnights. They go very high in size.

6. rrodman

We also use Goodnights.

7. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

Goodnights leaked for the boys.  We used pampers underjams when Huggies nighttime pull ups stopped working. The only way the underjams worked was to put on underwear over them to stop the gaps.  My two are super thin but tall so finding something that would cut down laundry due to leaks was a challenge.

My boys just stopped pull ups at night this week.   A friend of mine's DD is still in night time pull ups at age 7.  Not at all unusal for nighttime body awareness and control to lag behind daytime potty training. 

8. Rollergiraffe

They are in pullups at night, I guess I'll try goodnights! Thanks for that suggestion.. (as I sit waiting for another round of laundry to finish).

I also don't want to push anything if it's not going to work, it's just another one of those parenting areas where I am not sure fi I am doing it right or not. It's like having infants again all of a sudden; night wakings because they're wet, and laundry galore! But I guess we can just ride it out. At least they're interested in the idea; that was more than I ever got out of potty training!

9. rrodman

We have even had a couple months where Jack was in underwear and then accidents again. Just watch for dry mornings and encourage them to get up if they need to. When you start having dry mornings, time for underwear!
    We have even had a couple months where Jack was in underwear and then accidents again. Just watch for dry mornings and encourage them to get up if they need to. When you start having dry mornings, time for underwear!

10. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

My boys are fully daytime trained and have been for about a year, but still wake up soaked every morning.  They are 50 and 45lbs, and we use Pampers Underjams.  So far, only a few leaks, mainly when I let them have too much to drink in the evenings, or if I don't make sure their PJ bottoms are below the top of the underjams.

I keep hoping they'll nighttime train soon.  DS2 woke up dry one day this week, and I celebrated, but then it was back to business as usual the next couple of nights, so it seems like a fluke.

11. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Like others have stated, you cannot train for nights.  Some kids (my oldest boy) just sleep so soundly that they don't know it is happening.  Clayton was 5.5 when he was finally night trained.  He potty trained day at 3 years, 1 month.  Until they are consistently dry overnight, use a pull up or something absorbent.  Limiting liquids at bedtime (after supper) is crucial.  My mom believes that all kids need a drink right before bed.  That backfired on her one night.  She slept with him and had to change sheets, his jammies AND hers.  He had a pull up on that night.  Just try to be patient.

1 person likes this.
  12. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Like everyone said you can't train it.
    I would also watch for what the pull ups look like in the morning. Mine all trained overnight early (boys the latest at 2.5 with occasional accident until 4!) but what we noticed when we yanked the pull ups at 2.5 was that the pull up wasn't soaked, it was just peed in...and warm. So we assumed they were waking up dry (because occasionally like 2-3x/week they were dry) and just peeing because they were lazy or didn't know any better. It took a few weeks between each of them waking wet before they did settle in and stay dry:). Just thought Id give you one more thing to look for while you watch the dryer spin;)

13. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ditto everyone.

And I'll just say, Liam is 4.5 (will be 5 in march) and still has day accidents, and soaks his pullup nightly.  *sigh*  I don't think this child is ever going to potty train.....

14. Janclamat

Janclamat Well-Known Member

Have you tried putting a potty in his room? We did that with our daughter, and explained that if she had to go in the middle of the night to get up quickly and go in there. She still is the only one who gets up at night to go to the bathroom.

15. Rollergiraffe

The last couple of nights have been better. I have been getting them up to pee and being more diligent about restricting their liquids. I have also been reminding them to pee first thing in the morning and change their pants right away; Kim, I think you were right that they were laying in bed in the morning peeing! Argh.

16. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Personally, I think you just have to decide night diapers or Not! If you decide No more diapers/pull ups. Stick with your gun. Be strict!

My kids were 100% day trained around 2 yrs 10 months. And 100% night trained in may or June something. I don't remember correctly but in summer. All I did was stop giving them liquid 1 hr before bed and took them to bathroom at night night for 2 weeks. We did have accidents after that. But I just dealed with it. And we never went back to night diapers!! Now at 3.5, they just wake up and go to bathroom if needed all by themselves. No more accident! And they do drink milk before bed. In aug-sept or even oct, my daughter got so many accidents. It's because of the new school and being separated from her bro. But now all good. :) and I never left a potty in their room. We didnt use potty at all, just toilets!

Asian we train kids very early. I was told the longer we wait, the harder to train them. I don't know if that's true. But I can tell you that I'm very happy now that I don't have to pack extra clothes (in case they have accidents) when we go out like before. And I don't have to ask them "do u need to use bathroom." Or check heir underwears Every 30-60 mins. Now we are totally off that problem!

Good luck!

17. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls didn't night train until about a year after they day trained. Cooper has been day trained since he was 18 months old, but he wakes up every morning in a soaking wet pull-up. He is just now to the point where he doesn't wet at nap time.

I haven't tried to do anything about it, I don't see the point, he doesn't wake up. I just had to run to the store last night at bed time because we realized we were out of pull-ups.

18. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

My kids have been day trained for almost a year, but night time is another story.  Caitlin wakes up dry in the morning or she will wake us if she need to go to the toilet, but she still wants to wear a pull up.  We are going into summer now and I thought when we have used the last pull up, I will just not buy more for her. Gareth still wakes up soaked in the mornings.  The only way I get him to be dry is if I restrict his fluid intake. I don't want to wake him up in the night (sleeping well has been too much of an issue in our house) to go to the toilet.  I will wait until he is ready.

19. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

If they wet their pull-ups at night, then yes they are not ready. But if they first wake up and pee right away in bed, then time for trainning. My boy used to wake up and pee right away before he even moved. In this case, its just a habit. After I realized that, that's it no more diapers!!

20. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

I hope this doesn't scare or depress anyone.  My girls were day trained at 2 1/2.  One became dry at night at around 5 years on her own but still wanted a pull up to keep her sister company.  Shortly after I noticed a mild rash on their privates, maybe due to the heat (we live in the tropics) or some new reaction to the pull ups.  Anyway they asked to wear panties to bed and I'd wake them and take them to the bathroom in the middle of the night.  Mostly once a night was enough but sometimes the non-dry one would have an accident in the early hours of the morning.  Last summer, aged 8 1/2, I read on FB (don't know how true it is) that milk takes longer to convert to pee, so we stopped giving milk at dinner time, only water (sometimes 3-4 glasses of water).  She has been dry every since.  The couple of times she's had milk with dinner -- wet sheets.  Could be a coincidence, could be something else, in any case, it's worth a try.