Night wakings re-incarnated!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Danibell, May 17, 2010.

1. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have been blessed with 4 kids who sleep fantastically! I'm not bragging because I'm as surprised as the next guy! But that's why this is so frustrating and strange to us!

But for the last couple of months, 2-3 times a week Liam will wake around 12:30-1am and be up randomly for at least an hour but sometimes several hours, before he finally falls asleep exhausted! I figured teething....but tylenol, motrin, and teething pills don't help. I wondered if he was thirsty/hungry but drinks of milk, water and some applesauce don't help. I considered he was cold so I put warmer jammies on him, nope....still randomly up. It's not usually 2 days in a row, but just here and there with no rhyme or reason.

I tried getting him up and snuggling him, tried taking him to bed with me, nope. He lays back down immediately when I put him back into bed. They both have 2 paci's in bed with them and he usually has one in his mouth when he's crying. It's dark, it's cool, lullabies are playing, white noise fan is going....

I'm at a loss. And more than a little frustrated! Last week he was up from 1:30am until 4am! I had to get up at 7am with my older son for school! Last night he was up from 12pm until about 1:30-2pm! I've tried going in, my husband has tried going in, we both go in, we've tried letting him cry (which backfires by waking the other 3 kids up).

He's waking up Rylee most of the time too since they share a room, and moving her isn't an option, we're already out of rooms in our house! :lol:

MAYDAY MAYDAY anyone at all have sleep issues at this age that don't seem to relate to anything at all?

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

what are his naps like? have you noticed any correlation between less-than-great nap(s) & the night wakings? :unknw:

3. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Here!! :wavey:

Jack has always been my worst sleeper, and he will have random night-wakings that just confound us. They normally don't last more than a couple of days (except for the major spurt when he started walking/cutting teeth where he didn't STTN for 3 months. :wacko: ). To add to the confusion, Nate has been waking on and off for the last week as well, and he's pretty much STTN since he was 4 months old! :gah:

These night-wakings never seem to occur when you'd expect them; teething/colds/changes in temperature or light don't seem to trigger them. The best I can figure it's bad dreams. :pardon: My nanny says that one of her sons went through "growing pains" where he literally was growing so fast that his legs would ache very badly and wake him up at night. She finally figured that out when he got old enough to tell her.

We usually go in and rock for a few minutes, then whisper that Mama and Dada need to sleep, that they need to sleep and that we're putting them back in their cribs now. Most of the time they go back down without more than a whimper. It's taken a while to get there though; night wakings used to last 1-2 hours when they occurred. :(

Good luck figuring this out, and I hope that it's a short-lived phase. :hug:

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

They only take one nap, usually lasts 1.5-2 hrs, and doesn't seem to differ on days that he sleeps great at night. They sleep from 9-9:30 at night until 9:30-10 in the morning, then go down for nap around 2pm until 3:30-4pm.

They've been doing one nap a day for about 2 months now, it took about 3 weeks to get them napping good in the afternoon but ever since then their naps are very consistent.

Valerie i'm sorry you went through it too, but I'm glad I'm not alone! :lol: I've been letting him cry more before I go in, hoping he'll figure out that he needs to go back to sleep! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! :headbang:

5. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

:hug: I'm sorry you guys are going through this!! The only thing I can think of is when mine hit a new milestone they go through a week or two of wacky sleep. Is he in the middle of learning something new? My youngest is started to get close to walking and he's started waking up an hour earlier, I'm not positive those are related but they sure do seem to go hand-in-hand. :headbang: Good luck!