Nighttime diaper recommendations

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ariel53098, Mar 16, 2008.

1. ariel53098

ariel53098 Well-Known Member

My girls (ages 6 months - 12 lbs and 14lbs, 8oz.) sleep about 12 hours each night (Please don't hate me!!! :) ). What results is wet and/or messy backs in the morning. This morning was really bad. Since I'm overseas, the most affordable way for me to get diapers is at buythecase.net. I've tried the huggies and the pampers. Pampers seem to do a little better but still leak. Any ideas?
    I noticed that Huggies has overnights but they start in size 3. The girls are in size 2 right now. Of course, I'm at the point, I'll use packing tape to keep it on if it will keep them dry!!! :)
    Any ideas???
    Rachel

2. Zabeta

Zabeta Well-Known Member

I started using the overnights when they fit T but were still too big for J - no problems at all and they saved me a lot of early-morning clothes changes. I think J was probably about 15 lbs when we started using them.

It may depend a bit on how big they are around the middle. Is there ANY way to buy a smaller packet to test them?

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

How about tryinig a Diaper Double?? It looks like a maxi pad that goes right between the crotch for extra absorption. And you can also go up a size diaper for the nights too.

4. benderboys

benderboys Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Mar 16 2008, 12:42 PM) [snapback]671524[/snapback]
    How about tryinig a Diaper Double?? It looks like a maxi pad that goes right between the crotch for extra absorption. And you can also go up a size diaper for the nights too.

Ditto this! Been doing it this way since 4 months and everyone is happy.

5. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

I, too, second the Huggies Overnights, even if they don't seem like they should be in a size 3 yet. That's what we use - started when they would roll over and leak through the front of the Pampers.

I have a bunch, if you would like me to send you a couple so you can test them before you buy a big case, PM me - I'd be happy too. I understand the overseas with the military and not being able to get stuff easily.

Erica.

6. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

MIne have been wearing their night time diaper for about 13 hours each night. They sleep 12 straight and get changed about an hour before bed. I have never had a single leaky diaper. We use the COstco Store Brand!

7. gottagiggle&twins

gottagiggle&twins Well-Known Member

I honestly thing different diapers work well for different kids. My kids do the 12 hour thing too, and they fill their diapers so full during the night, but they don't leak through Huggies. They did, however, leak like crazy with the Costco brand. Go figure! I have heard wonderful things about the Huggies Overnights.

8. Stephanie1074

Stephanie1074 Well-Known Member

Honestly, my boys are 4 months and they weigh 14 & 16 lbs... One of them, the bigger one is a VERY HEAVY wetter at night... They sleep between 8-10 hours a night and they have for a long time... I am lucky I know!!! We had wet mornings all the time until I swiched to cloth... You may feel that cloth is a lot of work, but I swear it isn't! They are great and I wouldn't go back if someone said they would buy all the diapers we would use for the rest of the time they are in diapers... At night I use a BumGenious pocket diaper, the new models 3.0 come with 2 inserts and at night I use both and wehn they wake they are dry! It is really not hard to do cloth and you will save a ton of money! Even if you only use them part-time! The bumGenious pocket diapers are one size that you can use from 5 lbs to 35 lbs! Most likely by the time they are 35 lbs they wont be in diapers anymore!

As far as the laundry goes, I do an extra load a day becuase I only wanted to buy a days worth of diapers and I stuff them while I watch TV at night... I do stay home with them right now, but I have a 4year old as well so it's not like I have a bunch of free time around here, it's worth it! Make the swich, it is healthier for your kids, better for the environment and easy on your wallet!

9. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

My girls are about the same weight and I was using the huggies overnights and they were wetting through those as well. I tried Pampers Baby Dry and we havent had a leak yet, its been about 2 weeks. My girls wear size 2 diapers during the day but I put them in size 3 at night, I just make sure they are fastened well.
    Good luck!

10. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I ran into the same problem when my girls were sleeping like that too. When my girls were in size 2's I went right into the size 3 Huggies overnights. I have used them ever since!! I LOVE them!!

11. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We tried size 3 huggies overnights when the girls were still in 2-3 and it was GREAT!!! Not only are they thicker, but they also have elastic at the top of the back and that really prevents those up the back blow outs. I've never tried diaper doublers, but have heard good things about those too.

12. poppan

poppan Well-Known Member

I agree with the PP who said different diapers for different babies... I tried the huggies overnights and hated them, could not wait to finish the pack so I could go back to pampers. DS, who never leaked in Pampers (I use Swaddlers/Cruisers at night), leaked soooo many times in the Huggies Overnights. Plus I found the printing (the animal prints on the diaper) was of poorer quality on the Huggies and they made a yellow stain on all their PJs right in the crotch area, it's on the inside but it still looks so gross because it looks like a pee stain or something. I'm sticking to pampers cruisers, one size up.

13. ariel53098

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Mar 16 2008, 05:42 PM) [snapback]671524[/snapback]

I tried to google this and got nothing. I never heard of this. Is there a brand name or something?
    I'm going to try a sample of the Huggies overnights from a fellow generous TSer but I'd like to know options! :)
    Thanks!
    Rachel

14. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

I have not read pps but we had a similiar problem with DS. Not so much with DD. We started using Huggies overnights and they have been great. The smallest size they come in are 3s but they fit much earlier than we thought they would. Besides, the trick is to get diapers one size bigger for night time. Mine were belly sleepers so we were sure to put it higher in the front than the back. I wonder if the opposite would be true for a back sleeper.

HTH
    Amy

15. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

Have you triend to fold down teh back inside the diaper. I have done this off and on for the front and back depending on who/where was having a problem. If it get really wet by the end it turns out and then leaks up. If you fold it down then it keeps it from bowing out and keeps it dry. Might be worth a try. Mine are still in 2 Huggies, are about the same age, and sleep 12 hours as well. The huggies folded keep us dry.

16. benderboys

benderboys Well-Known Member

QUOTE(RachelAKAariel53098 @ Mar 16 2008, 03:23 PM) [snapback]671659[/snapback]
    I tried to google this and got nothing. I never heard of this. Is there a brand name or something?
    I'm going to try a sample of the Huggies overnights from a fellow generous TSer but I'd like to know options! :)
    Thanks!
    Rachel

Try this...http://www.epinions.com/review/Diaper_Doublers/content_237009407620

I think there is a link to purchase at the bottom.

HTH!!!

17. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

I've been using huggies overnights for the past month or so and my boys weigh about 14 lbs a piece. They're a bit big, but they work great- no more leaks!

18. KellyJo3479

KellyJo3479 Active Member

I say go up a size at night. and go with the Huggies Overnights. My DD had the same problem and that fixed the problem for us. Good Luck!!!!

19. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

I would try the overnights or one size bigger diapers.

20. poppan

poppan Well-Known Member

21. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Ditto everyone else that said go up a size. I had a friend who gave me a couple of the huggies overnights and they weren't as impressive as I thought they'd be...plus huggies always fit my two a little weird...my boys are quite slender and it seemed like huggies didn't fit well, while Pampers fit better. When we start leaking through at night, we go up a size and it fixes the problem!

22. ariel53098

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to try the fold down idea and the size bigger idea.
    I'm getting some samples of Huggies overnights and will try those too. If none of that works, I'll try the diaper doublers!
    Rachel

23. nadana77

nadana77 Well-Known Member

My twins both weigh around 16 1/2 lbs and we use huggies size 4. I put two diapers on them at night and have had no leaking problems at all!
    They work great for us so, I would give them a try!

24. jjokitty

jjokitty Well-Known Member

We also use the size 3 Huggies overnights. My girls are in size 2 Pampers Swaddlers during the day. I tried some regular Huggies during the day and they routinely leaked through those during naps so I was reluctant to try their overnight diapers, but I have to say we have not had a single leak.

Jen