nighttime diapers vs regular?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by newtothis, Sep 19, 2010.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

my LOs for the past two days have been waking up wet.
    is there a difference between the nighttime diaper and a regular diaper as far as absorption goes? i know some people go up a size in a regular diaper? not sure what to try.

2. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

I had looked at the nighttime diapers at one point but didn't end up buying them.. we tend to just go up a size when the leakage happens. I know that I'll eventually use them all and won`t waste money!

3. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I never used the nighttime ones either, they were hard to find and cost so much more. I would just lather then up with Vaseline or diaper cream.

4. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Like pp we just go up a size bc I know eventually we will use them.

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Normally i say go up a size. But my ds twin is super super skinny, and size 5's are already huge on him, yet he's soaking wet by morning, so we bought the size 5 nighttime diapers. Right out of the packaging they are thicker in the front and bottom than the regular diapers are. He's still soaking wet by morning but it's not soaking through, which is a big deal.

The going up a size worked for all my other kids but Liam is just so skinny that the size 6's were humongous on him and there's no way they would have held in a poopy butt ;)

6. HoneyBear23

HoneyBear23 Well-Known Member

I went up a size for at night for a long time. I've been using the Huggies Overnights for quite awhile now and have worked well. However, now they are leaking even through the overnights. :headbang: So I dunno what I'll do now.

7. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

We swear by Huggies overnights too. My kids are also very skinny and at some point going up a size just meant gapping and leaking. I think the best way to do it is to buy a small pack of each and see what you like, but I definitely think there's a difference.

8. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

The overnights have not worked - we just go up a size. But, since girls are tiny sometimes there was still leaking due to the bigger diaper. Babies R Us carries these maxi pad looking things. They are cheap, like $3.00 for a pack of 30. They are to put in the diaper for overnight and they work great! I have only seen them at BRU in the diaper section.

9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've had luck with going up a size and using diaper doublers (or maxi pads) and also found Pampers Extra Protection to work well too. My kids always seemed to leak through Huggies overnights, I think it's just the way their bodies are shaped that the Huggies did not work for them.

10. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

My guys leaked through regular Huggies diapers, but do really great with Huggies Overnights. :pardon: I usually buy cheaper generic diapers for daytime, but they leak right through them (even a size up) at night. The overnights work great.

11. mommyto3boys

mommyto3boys Well-Known Member

All of my boys have always been heavy night wetters. We have been using overnight diapers ever since they started sleeping through the night, as they soaked through regular diapers. I have found the Pampers Extra Protection to work better than Huggies Overnights, but the Huggies Overnights still work better than any daytime diapers.

12. Tracy5780

Tracy5780 Well-Known Member

i started using them when my girls were about 8 months as they were leaking through regular diapers....I have not had one leak since...I use Pampers xtra protection or huggies overnights.....they both protect up to 12 hours....I also do not pay any more for them then for regular diapers. The overnights are on sale along with all pampers diapers at my shoprite this week for 8.99.....with a $2 off coupon i paid 6.99 i dont think thats too bad at all

13. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

Going up a size didn't work for us either. Besides being huge on them, they were still wet in the morning(mostly my boy). We use the pampers overnights and it is very rare that either of them are wet in the morning.

14. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

We are a big fan of the Huggies Overnights too. They just feel so much thicker than regular diapers. A couple of months ago we were out of those so we just used a regular diaper and the boys woke up totally sopping wet on their belly! Occasionally, maybe once or twice a week we'll have a slightly leaky Huggies Overnight diaper by morning, but it is nothing like a regular diaper. I also figured that if I went up a size there would be more gaps for pee to leak out of. A box of 64 Huggies Overnight size 4 diapers cost $19.99 around here, and I usually have a $1.50 coupon. So it is under $20 a month to wake up to usually dry babies - worth it to me!

15. tpowers

tpowers Well-Known Member

I used overnights for awhile. I may need to go back. I found that I liked Pampers better and they seemed to work better too. I have used Huggies overnights especially if I have a coupon.

16. bsteg

bsteg Member

We use three different diapers at our house. During the day, both of my babies wear size 3 Pampers. My daughter wears size 4 Pampers at night. My son wears the Pampers Extra Protection size 4 because he was still wetting his clothes in the regular Pampers at night.

17. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

We have done all 5 ideas and all of them helped for awhile.

1) Stay with current diaper add padding.
    2) Go up a size
    3) Go up a size and add padding.
    4) Use current size overnights
    5) Go up a size overnights

The padding can be bought at BRU but it is way cheaper to buy it from their website by the case. I stopped using the padding when they were starting to pull at their diaper at the waistband.
    Overnights are expensive, but certainly have helped BIG time.

Also keep track of when their last drink of the night before bed is... this might be part of the story. Good luck!

18. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I used the Pampers extra protection for a long time (they're sold at Target and BJs), until they changed them... Now I use Baby Dry and they never leak, even if they are really full.

19. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

we used the Huggies Overnights starting at about size 4 because they were waking up and I swear the diaper weighed more than they did LOL! They didn't have the Pampers version of overnights when my kids were still in diapers...

20. Sisrea

Sisrea Well-Known Member

I started by going up a size and that worked when they were little and then it stopped working. Then we had to move to overnights. We do Huggies overnights, and we go up a size in the overnights as well. When we aren't using cloth we use size 4's during the day and size 5's overnights.

21. Double Vision

Double Vision Well-Known Member

We use Huggies Overnights for our girls, but just at nightime. We went up a size in diapers and the 5's were too big. At night is when we see the most leakage so we only use them then.

22. pandax3

pandax3 Well-Known Member

My two year old uses the Fisher Price Happy Nights nightime diapers. $5.99 for 16. And it worked as well as the Huggies Nightime but it is much cheaper.

23. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

I use Huggies overnights too. We cloth diaper during the day, Parents Choice (Walmart) size 3 if out of the house, and Huggies overnights size 4 at night. Once in a while one will wake up leaking, but usually they are just really full and squishy.