No more thumb sucking...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by debid, Nov 22, 2006.

1. debid

debid Well-Known Member

Both of my boys found their thumbs at 4 months. I was relieved because they slept so well with a "pacifier" that couldn't be lost but other people worried and made remarks about it. I kept reciting the statistic that 90+% quit on their own when the need to suck decreases but everyone seems to know someone who had horrible teeth presumably because they sucked their thumb too long.

Anyway, Trevor quit spontaneously at 8 months and Trent just quit this week. They're growing up too fast! [​IMG] BUT, at least DH can quit worrying so much about it. He was so sure Trent would be the only kid in his highschool still sucking his thumb [​IMG]

2. debid

debid Well-Known Member

Both of my boys found their thumbs at 4 months. I was relieved because they slept so well with a "pacifier" that couldn't be lost but other people worried and made remarks about it. I kept reciting the statistic that 90+% quit on their own when the need to suck decreases but everyone seems to know someone who had horrible teeth presumably because they sucked their thumb too long.

Anyway, Trevor quit spontaneously at 8 months and Trent just quit this week. They're growing up too fast! [​IMG] BUT, at least DH can quit worrying so much about it. He was so sure Trent would be the only kid in his highschool still sucking his thumb [​IMG]

3. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

awww. it's a sad day when they start showing so many signs of growing up.

4. HBMOMOF2SETS

HBMOMOF2SETS Well-Known Member

Wow, they do grow up fast!
    I remember when my oldest Jack decided on his own at age 4 that he was no longer going to suck his fingers!!!
    Christine

5. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Aawwww! Mine also found theirs' at 4 mo., but stil suck it during sleepy times. My DD actually has sores on her thumb from her teeth rubbing on it. They grow up so fast, don't they?

6. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

That's pretty impressive... my ds went through a phase where he was sucking it a lot less...but now at 20 months he is still going strong! Thumb sucker..so hard he has blisters on both thumbs..and his thumbs seem like they are permanetly curved. He's always been a really big eater ...like the need to have something going in ALL the time... he's not overweight at all...just a really fast metabolism like his daddy... so I think the thumb thing is a comfort if he's hungry too..

7. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

That is impressive!!! WTG!!!

I have one thumb sucker - Reagan. I have u/s pics of her with her thumb in her mouth, so not a big shocker there. She only sucks it though when she is tired. I don't even think she sucks it, she just has it in her mouth. I'm not too worried about it. I think it's a HARD habit to break in kids. Knowing my history of jaw problems, mine will both probably end up in braces (I had braces 2 times and then went on to have my jaw broken and wired shut b/c of TMJ) anyway. Ha!

Congrats on no more thumb sucking though, that's awesome!

8. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

[​IMG] [​IMG] Bittersweet, huh?! I think it's great that they stopped on their own. There was a girl on the shuttle bus last night (going to get our car) that was at least 8 sucking her thumb. It looked pretty sad!