No NAP at all???

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by frain2005, Nov 29, 2006.

1. frain2005

frain2005 Well-Known Member

My twinkies are 13 months. For the past week they are refusing naps. I put them down, and they just cry. Does anyone else have this? They used to be great nappers, and they do still sleep all night from about 8-7am. We tried an earlier bedtime, but they just wont do it. I guess I got a couple of Insomniacs on my hands [​IMG]!

Any idesa on how to get them to nap? I tried to get them down between 1-2. They refuse to go. Then they fall asleep at 5-6 at the dinner table. They cat nap and wake back up til 8pm. I tried putting them down at 6:30, but then they would get up an hour later and not sleep til midnight!...UGGG...just when I thought I had them figured out... [​IMG]!

2. frain2005

My twinkies are 13 months. For the past week they are refusing naps. I put them down, and they just cry. Does anyone else have this? They used to be great nappers, and they do still sleep all night from about 8-7am. We tried an earlier bedtime, but they just wont do it. I guess I got a couple of Insomniacs on my hands [​IMG]!

Any idesa on how to get them to nap? I tried to get them down between 1-2. They refuse to go. Then they fall asleep at 5-6 at the dinner table. They cat nap and wake back up til 8pm. I tried putting them down at 6:30, but then they would get up an hour later and not sleep til midnight!...UGGG...just when I thought I had them figured out... [​IMG]!

3. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Were you on one nap or two? Mine also started refusing to nap, and that's when we did the two naps to one transition. Then it started again, and I had to move naptime back, from 10:30 to 12:00, and then again to 12:30.
    Our basic sleep schedule is now 6:45 wake, 12:30-3:00 nap, 7:00 bed.
    I guess try playing with the naptime. Good luck, it stinks when they don't nap.

4. candctwinfactory

candctwinfactory Well-Known Member

Yes, we've had a few of those days with no naps, and it was NOT FUN!!! I just added a pillow to Chloe's crib and that has helped her to snuggle up and go down easier for naps. It doesn't always work, but seems to help. My me project today is to make some nice pillow cases that are warm and snuggly for her.

5. frain2005

We went from 2 naps to one...now to none. I tried to put them down between 1 and 2 and it isn't working. I am about to try putting them down now, it is 3pm here. I will let them sleep for about an hour hour and a half, then wake them, if not I am afraid they will be up to midnight again. I don't know what else to do. I know they are so tired, all they do is cry and whine. I just wish I knew something that would help. Do you think myabe it is the teething? Should I try teething medication or tylenol? I just don't know what else to try, and it is making for VERY LONG DAY! Thanks for letting me rant on!

6. thompsontwinners

thompsontwinners Well-Known Member

To get naps back on track do start with the early bedtime and just let them CIO. I would also do 2 naps still. We tried one nap at 13 months and it didn't work so we waited till another month passed and it worked then around 14 months. Try not to keep them up longer than 3 hours. I would also limit that morning nap to one hour to preserve the afternoon nap and get them down on time. If they wake at 7 bedtime should be 7 and no later for right now. Those are some of the techniques I used to keep my girls sleeping. Good luck!

7. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I would try some Tylenol to see if it is teething. I would also say that you should try to get back to 2 naps. We tried one nap around that age and it didn't work out for us. I think they were about 16 mo when they went to 1 nap. Just be consistent and put them down every day at the same time. If they choose to cry during their first nap, let them until nap time is over. Then try again with the second nap. I would say that most likely after a couple of days they will get the idea that they can either cry or nap during that time. Good luck.

8. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by FirstTimeMom814:
    I would try some Tylenol to see if it is teething. I would also say that you should try to get back to 2 naps. We tried one nap around that age and it didn't work out for us. I think they were about 16 mo when they went to 1 nap. Just be consistent and put them down every day at the same time. If they choose to cry during their first nap, let them until nap time is over. Then try again with the second nap. I would say that most likely after a couple of days they will get the idea that they can either cry or nap during that time. Good luck.

Ditto Trish's advice. 13 months does seem very young to be thinking of elminating naps. Good luck! [​IMG]

9. frain2005

Thanks for the replys. We did get a nap in yesterday, and today! WOOHOO!!! They refuse to go down any earlier then 3pm. I let them sleep til 5pm. I woke them up when my DH came home, we had dinner, and they played and bathtime, and to bed at 8. That is 2 days the same schedule. Since it seems to be working I am going to go with it. I just hope it stays consistant for awhile. I am going to gradually try to get it to an earlier nap time to get them into bed a little earlier, but we will see how it goes I guess. I wish they would go back to 2 naps...I got soooo much more done that way. But I will take what I can get...LOL!