No sick but vomiting:(

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by nikki_0724, Dec 21, 2010.

1. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

Ty will be 2 in a few weeks. This evening he started vomiting:( Hes not sick, has not been sick, is not acting sick just vomiting. 4 times in the since 7:30 this evening its now 930.... No one else in the house has been sick either... Any ideas???

2. Cristin322

Cristin322 New Member

this happened to us 2 weeks ago. apparently there is a stomach bug going around that causes nausea and vomiting. my son (17 months) vomited for 5 straight hours the first night and then only once a day for a few days after that. he was pretty much himself the first night but then he didn't want to eat or really sleep for the next week and a half. he only had a fever of 99.7 one night and it was a week into it. the doctor said that it could take up to two weeks for him to get his appetite back and feel like himself. after a week and a half he was back to normal. they told me to just try to get some liquids down but to make sure to wait an hour after the last time they vomit. he ate when he wanted. his twin sister never got it, but his dad and grandparents did. however, in adults it only lasted 24 hours.

goodluck!

3. kgar

kgar Well-Known Member

That's definitely stomach flu (or stomach virus, whatever you want to call it). It's extremely contagious. I catch it every time my kids get it, and I always have it much worse than they do. One of my girls has had it twice in a month. She'll throw up once or twice and then be absolutely fine. She's up playing within 5 minutes of puking. She has no fever, no other symptoms, except maybe a runny nose. Then 2 or 3 days later she'll do the same thing again. It's usually over at that point. My pedi said that infants/toddlers often react this way to stomach flu. They throw up everything in their stomachs and the amount of virus in there is mostly eliminated. But if there's any left it will take a couple of days for it to reproduce enough to make a kid sick again.

About an hour after a vomiting episode, I start slowly giving fluids - water or Pedialyte - a teaspoon or 2 at a time every 10 minutes or so. If they keep that down, after a couple of hours I start giving an ounce or two at a time. I always withhold food for at least 8 hours after vomiting because the stomach needs to rest after vomiting. Then I give BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) food until 24 hours has passed since the last vomiting episode.

4. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

We've had 3 bouts of strep throat in the past 6 months. Only once was there fever. The other 2 times was vomiting with no other symptoms, not even a sore throat.

5. BaileyandMarleysMom

BaileyandMarleysMom Well-Known Member

One of my twins had this about 2 weeks ago too. She seemed absolutely fine, no fever, trying to play, wanting to eat, etc... Then she vomited about 5 times over the course of about 8 hours. I started giving her only ice chips and crackers, but she even vomited that up. We ended up taking her to urgent care because she did not wet any diapers during that time frame and we were afraid that she was getting dehydrated.

When we got there, there were at least 2 other kids suffering with the same ailment. The doctor said it was a stomach virus and they put my daughter on an IV to push fluids. She didn't vomit any more after that, but it took her about a week to get back to normal eating and drinking and activity. The doctor also said that it was highly, highly contagious and to really ratchet up the hand washing for everyone in the house, including the sick child to try to ensure that the rest of us stayed well.

No one else ended up getting sick.

Good luck and I hope your child is well soon.