Not Diaper Rash...is it a yeast infection?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by carlaj23, Jun 22, 2009.

1. carlaj23

carlaj23 Well-Known Member

One of my DDs has a red mark on her. Its roundish and red, skin color in the middle though (it almost looked like a mosquito bite at first). It seems to be growing and now there is another red spot. It doesn't look like diaper rash (and diaper rash creams do nothing for it). It doesn't seem to bother her like diaper rash would when I wipe her and apply the cream. I've never seen a yeast infection on a baby before. Is this what it looks like?

2. aandja79

aandja79 Well-Known Member

It could be. If you google it and check the images box, you get to see a really wide variety of examples to compare to

3. carlaj23

Most of the pictures I saw showed a lot of small bumps. My DD's just has two spots...one about the size of a dime and the other slightly smaller. Its not on her bottom area, but more on her labium.

4. msamoyedny

msamoyedny Well-Known Member

Sounds like it could be ringworm. My son has a similar sounding rash and my sister in law thinks it is ringworm. I've been researching it and I read that it can be round with red edges and skin color on the inside. I'm bringing my son to the doctor and I'd suggest the same for your daughter.

5. ohjojo

ohjojo Well-Known Member

sounds like ringworm to me too. DD had a patch on her face and the doc rx'd nystatin cream for it and it cleared up in a couple of days. i would have the doc look at it..

6. mrschenoweth

mrschenoweth Well-Known Member

My first son had something similar and the dr. thought it might be ringworm at first but the medicine didn't work. Turned out it was a form of eczema (lunal eczema or somehting like that - named for its round shape) and it was always in the diaper area. It would often start small then get bigger. We had to get steroid cream for it. It could be a lot of things though. I'd say definitely take her in to get it checked out.

7. carlaj23

The thought of ringworm had run through my head too b/c of the circular shape. Although I wonder how in the world it would get there since only DH or myself ever change her diapers and neither one of us have it. I guess I'll be putting in a call to the pedi, although I hate the thought of a $30 co-pay...oh well!

8. Kaelan

Kaelan Well-Known Member

It sounds like a ringworm mark, but knowing your babies are 5 months old and that ringworm comes from allowing children to play outside in dirt where an animal has peed....i seriously doubt it. Both of my boys had what i thought was a bad diaper rash, but thier pediatrician said it was a fungal infection because it was raised and not flat like a diaper rash. He said it was common in babies because its moist and dark there, and gave a cream that took it away rather quickly.

Kenneth and Ian are 2 months and 4 days old

9. carlaj23

My pedi is treating her for a fungal infection. If the antifungal cream doesn't clear it up in a few days, I'll bring her in so she can check her further...so far it looks like the cream is helping!

Thanks ladies for all your experience....I love it!

10. divababy

divababy Well-Known Member

I just took mine into the pedi today for the same thing. It started with one patch on DSs bum. It's stayed the same on his bum but now DD has about 4 spots which has spread into a bunch of little yeast infection dots.

They are treating it like a fungal infection and said to use lotrimin instead of nystatin.

I don't know how they both got it because it's not like they share diapers or wipes but I guess this is a sign that all of the caregivers need to be more careful about handwashing between changing both babies

11. kittenkills

kittenkills Well-Known Member

if you have pets its probably ringworm. dd is just now getting over it, she had a rather large rash on her tush, dr perscribed som clotrimazole. works like a charm. go take her into your ped. maybe see if he/she/it could refer you to a childrens dermatologist to be sure. 3 differant drs told us three entirely differant things.
    Good luck.

12. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree that it sounds like ringworm. It's quite common but you will need an antifungal cream to get rid of it. Left alone it will get bigger and it is contagious, so wash your hands after touching it!