Not giving up hope - 2 sacs - 1 only with heartbeat

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by strell0316, Jun 3, 2010.

1. strell0316

strell0316 New Member

Hi, we find out at 5 weeks that we're having twins. At the last ultrasound @ 7 weeks, the doctor performed a transvaginal and we saw both sacs, but only one had a heartbeat and the other didn't. Is it still possible to find the heartbeat on the other sac later?? I'm devastated, but I'm praying that when we go back in 2 weeks, they'll find the other heartbeat..

Has this happened to anyone else??

I won't give up hope!

2. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congrats on your pregnancy. I have ready MANY stories on here where the hb has shown up later. You just never know!!! I hope you get great news at your next u/s.
    Did the other sac have anything in it at all? A yolk sac or fetal pole?

3. strell0316

strell0316 New Member

I was just reading all the posts similar to mine...I couldn't see anything and my doctor(love her - she's awesome), said she didn't see anything, but we should wait 2 weeks and see if anything changes..

I'm praying for a heartbeat!

4. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

1st of all congrats on your pregnancy and the heartbeat. I'm so sorry about the 2nd sac w/no heartbeat. my friend just went through seeing a sac at 5 wks and then no heartbeat at 7 wks. she only had 1 gestational sac at 5 wks and 1 at 7 wks. she went for a 2nd opinion at wk 8 to a perinatologist who she'd seen w/her 1st pregnancy, he suggested waiting 2 wks, for my friend it never got better. in fact at some point the sac divided and you could see 3 sacs, but it was just a weird thing and never did develop.

i don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but a sonographer friend said that in my friend's case that it was not a good sign. my friend eventually had to have a D&C.

While waiting for news during my friend's case we did see a few cases on the internet where the heartbeat could be delayed. I will be hoping for you, but also hoping you are given peace in this situation if it doesn't work.

The worst part I found was the "wait for 2 wks" that the doctors say, but it probably is the best advice so that if anything is going to grow and develop you are giving it time.