Not quite crawling

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Buttercup1, May 5, 2008.

1. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

Julia has been trying to crawl but it's really worrying me. She's pretty much been dragging herself around with her arms and pushing with her right leg, always dragging her left leg behind her. She pretty much looks like a wounded soldier who's been shot in the left leg. This has been going on for a week now. I thought that maybe I should call the pedi. She moves her left leg fine otherwise and does not seem to be in pain.

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

They are 8 months adjusted right?? Just curious.

As for the wounded soldier crawl my cousins girl twin did that too. She did that the whole time until she walked. My boy Derek did the army crawl where he would just use his arms to pull himself all over the place and then after about 4-6 weeks of that he got up on all 4's. Cant hurt to ask the Ped either. Good to see you around.

3. EricaG

EricaG Well-Known Member

were they preemies? My nephew (not a preemie) didn't crawl until at least 10 1/2 months and never on all four but he was still walking by his first birthday so who knows.

I guess it would hurt to ask the ped

Erica

4. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

All babies crawl differently. My friends boy would do the army crawl (not moving legs at all) until he walked. My DD use to bounce on her bottom to get around... until she crawled..

I dont believe there is a problem. And if they are 8 months adj she is still doing pretty good for crawling! :D

5. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

I have a couple of friend's who's babies did that and they're totally fine and walking now with no issues. They're just clever in how they get around! If you're concerned, though, definitely ask your pediatrician!

6. serranoboys

serranoboys Well-Known Member

Braxton has been doing exactly what you're describing (I think) for 2 months now. Just today he crawled on all fours but he cried the entire time (and it was a very brief crawl). I'm not really worried about it. Now Caleb...that boy doesn't want to move for ANYTHING! He does a VERY slow arm stretch 1, arm stretch 2, kick off both toes and puuuuul. It's hilarious. He's in PT but from what I understand, as long as they are making attempts to get from point a to point b, they're fine. As many others have said, plenty of babies don't ever crawl. Now this is coming from someone who called out the SWAT team when here baby wasn't sitting up at 7 months so please know that I am all for calling ECI to ease your mind. But I really think he's fine. If you go to my blog, click the April archives and scroll down to Here Comes the Braxtinator, you'll see a video of him doing what I think you're describing. Even though I KNOW he's capable of getting on all fours and moving, he prefers this method because it's quick and comfortable. I think that's all that's going on with your baby too.

7. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

DS does that. But I read on a milestone chart that the crawling off belly isn't until 10 months but every baby is different and some don't crawl but go right to walking! I would call the pedi just to check!

GL

8. Ericka B

Ericka B Well-Known Member

My son James did the "army" crawl until he was about 9 months while his brother was zooming around everywhere on all fours. Now James is walking everywhere and Jack is still crawling. I think all babies are different, I personally wouldn't worry especially if they were born a little early which I thought your little ones were(could be wrong?).

9. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

yes, I forgot to add that Julia is about 8 months adjusted. I'm not worried that her crawling is late, just that there might be something wrong with her left leg. Thanks for your replies! I think I'm going to email the pedi.

10. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I doubt it's anything to worry about. My older DD knew how to crawl just fine, but she preferred to do a funny-looking scoot where she dragged one leg. She did this until she walked at almost 15 months.

I'm sure I have video of it somewhere, so if I find it I'll post a clip. But, no issues -- her legs were totally normal. Babies are just funny!