not sure how to deal with this

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by ljcrochet, Aug 5, 2014.

1. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yesterday in the car, Dani started to tell me something that happened at bungee in camp.  I asked her what happened, she then  started to complain about why the kids chewable tylenol says her weight is an 11
    year old weight.  I told her that is is an average.  Both of my girls are over 75% for height. 

She didn't say anything else, but then last night she pulled aside to start to tell me what happend at bungee.  Apparently there are different size bungee's and the bungee counselor made her go on the one for 100 pounds or higher .  She weighs about 85 pounds.  I tried to find out how she knew that the bungee was for 100 pounds.   
    I think I said something about how the higher weight one probably let her jump better.  I asked her if she had fun on the bungee, she said no she was too sad to enjoy it.   She felt singled out since in her mind she was the only one who had to go on the larger bungee.  

2. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:(

Do you think she wanted to be with friends that were in the lower weight group?
    Is she worrying about her size? 
    I tell my kids who complain about the opposite (they are very small for their age and get mistaken for much younger kids, and dont always get to participate in things that have a height requirement) that everyone is made differently and everyone grows at different speeds and typically it all evens out eventually.
    I'm sorry she was sad and didnt enjoy her bungee camp. 
    I wonder why they put her on a bungee for 100lbs when she only weighs 85??? You are probably right in that it would allow her to jump better. 

3. TP

TP Well-Known Member

Hi
    May be the larger bungee was due to a combination of height and weight?
    And with my daughter ,I just take a matter of fact approach about feeling sad . I tell her its Ok to be sad . Sometimes she just needs that validation.
    About size, I have a peanut who gets teased that she needs to take baby dose and I tell same as Lesley that all people are made different and show some large/small/tall short people in our family who are still healthy.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Lesley and TP.  I would assure her that people come in all shapes and sizes  and that probably the counselor was not trying to single her out on purpose but put her on the bungee that would be safer for her & where she could get a better jump.  I am sorry she felt sad about it :(

5. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

She didn't mention anything about it yesterday other than she got to jump higher.    Both of my girls are the same height but there is a close to 30 pound  weight difference.