Not wanting to nurse, eat solids, sleep or poop

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by leaudemiel, Nov 26, 2010.

1. leaudemiel

leaudemiel Well-Known Member

We had been doing really well. Then last week one baby screamed through an evening cluster feed. Now it happens often, but only in the evening. They had been in to cereal but now they are crying through the whole thing ending in meltdowns. Getting them to sleep has been hit or miss (thanksgiving eve ted screamed for two hours while we took turns holding him!) and pooping is now once every three days (joe is on day 5, calling ped today of he doesn't go). They also seem to get crankier faster than usual... They're 5 months and three weeks. Anyone else go through this? Is it a growth spurt? Teething? Its pretty miserable.

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Sounds like teeting to me. The not eating, crankiness and non sleeping are all classic signs of cutting teeth. They are also in the right age for their bottom 2 teeth to cut. If it is indeed teething, once they cut through the gums, it should go back to normal for you.

3. fannymercier

fannymercier Member

It s funny I m going through the exact same thing.Our boys must be really close in age, mine were born on the 4th of june (37 weeks like you)
    We ve been really lucky as well, great sleepers great eaters and now for the last 2 days it s all falling apart...
    I m sure it s teething. I have to change their clothes every 2 hours they re drooling so much.

Hopefully It won t last too long . Good Luck

4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Try at little bit of tylenol before feedings and/or bedtime so they can get some rest. If they're not pooping they might be a bit dehydrated and you'll want to try and make sure that they get as much fluid as possible. Let them chew on a frozen wet washcloth or something cold during the day to relieve their gums too.

5. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Yeah I remember it was horrible from 5.5-6.5 months. They were super cranky, needy, cried all the time. Then around 6.5 month, their bottom teeth pooped up. Then they turned to super hahhpy until now. They are so so fun now. My boy is teething for his 2 upper front. He is drooling like crazy, but not cranky, needy like before. Thanks god!!

You said they didn't poop. It might be another reason for it. It might be the cereal. Do you give them rice cereal? They usualy get constipated with rice cereal. If my kids don't poop for 1 day, they will be cranky the next day. They poop 2x/day now. Some days if my son doesn't drink enough milk, he will be constipated as well. I insert glycerin suppositories laxative (cut 1 half). He will poop in 30 mins.our pedi let's us do that once for a while. He used to do it often when they first started on solid.