Now that my twins are older, I still can't figure out...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by megkc03, Oct 27, 2010.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I can't figure out their clothes! Oh my goodness! You would think that after three years I would have figured out some sort of system. Nope. I have been better about doing their laundry and folding it. It's the putting it away, and neatly, and orderly that gets me every time! And let's not even talk about the stuff they've outgrown, or the summer clothes either. Some of those will still fit next year, so those are in a giant laundry basket too.

And poor Annabella. I still have most of her summer clothes in her drawers. When in the world do you deal with all of their clothes?!?!?!

Ok-so maybe my kids have a lot of clothes too... this could be the issue! :laughing:

Next....

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's a tough one for sure!!!

I use the guestroom dresser to put their out of season clothes, as their dresser is too small for two (too many windows in their room to put two dressers, so we'll just buy nice bed sets when we split them in a couple years). I didn't even sort them, I figure I'll see next Spring what still fits and what doesn't. I have a little plastic dresser on top for diapers/PJs. Forget neatly folded though, my kids often pick their own clothes (well, DD does, DS couldn't care less), so it's a mess all the time anyway. I have a big open bin in the guest closet where I put the stuff that is too small or hand me downs that I don't like (ok... by now it's mostly a pile of clothes with a bin somewhere under). The stuff they are too small for still is in two plastic bins in their closet.

I do have two baskets of laundry to sort though... lol. Doesn't help that dh never ever puts his clothes away.

3. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

I have plastic bins for each one of them with 1) clothes for next season that will still fit or 2) clothes to grow into. For outgrown clothes/shoes/etc., I just put them into one giant bin to sort at a later time. We have a local twins group clothing/gear sale every 6 months, so I am able to unload a good portion of clothes (after passing somethings along as hand-me-downs). The rest go to Goodwill!

Now that my twins are older, I still haven't figured out A LOT! I will have to think about it more and post later :)

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Organizing their clothes is also a big problem around here. I only have one dresser for them (used to be their changing table), and I don't use their closet efficiently at all. All the out of season clothes go in boxes in the shed, but their drawers are a mess, especially since they now have opinions about what they want to wear. I need to get them separate dressers or drawers soon though because they wear different size pants, but constantly want to wear the pants that don't fit them.

5. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

their MEALS! :laughing: It's a given that at least one (usually two) meals a day, I spend 20 minutes just standing in the kitchen trying to figure out what to feed them. It's easier because they all eat most of the same things but trying to remember what fruit they had for breakfast so I don't serve it again isn't easy for me! LOL I do try to plan ahead that works for a couple days but then I forget to plan ahead and I'm back to where I started.

As for clothes-- I'm just NOW getting the hang of it and the biggest thing that has helped me is to decrease the clothes they have. I also make sure to have the storage bin in the closet for clothes that don't fit, are out of season, or I just don't like. I also use a closet in the playroom for all jackets and sweaters and a closet in the hall for all of Aly's dresses. Sadly both of these closets are totally full :lol:

6. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Toy storage, art supply storage, and getting them to clean up either of those things.

I'm pretty good with clothes. Things that they're currently wearing are in the closet (dresses), in small drawers in the dresser (underwear, tights, etc.), or folded on open bookshelves (pants, shirts, shorts, skirts, PJs). It's really helpful to be able to see almost everything. And it's nice that they can reach things themselves (except the dresses -- though they're getting tall & agile enough to stand on a stepstool and do that too). They do make a mess getting stuff off the shelves, but I just fold it back up.

We keep things that are more or less the right size, but wrong season, in drawers in their bedroom dresser or in a storage box in the closet. Things that are too big are in storage boxes in the garage, sorted by size. Things that are too small get handed down immediately to younger cousins or friends.

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have a pretty decent system with clothes. When the seasons change, I usually store the season's clothes away (glad I did not do summer just yet) and if I think the kids will be grown out of the clothes by the next season, I either give them to my BF or donate them.
    I still cannot figure out what toys they would like to play with and sometimes I just don't understand why they point rather then tell me what they want.

8. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have the clothes under control since I got pregnant and we bought them each their own dresser. Since I have plenty of drawer space now I separate all of their underwear, shirts, pants, etc. Even their toddler sheets and towels have their own drawer. Actually folding and putting the clean clothes in the correct drawer is another story. :laughing: I use their closet for dresses, coats and shoes only. I've already gone through and gotten rid of all the summer clothes. I felt a panic around labor day to get it all done.

Meal time is another story. I never know what to make them b/c they are so picky. I still make 2 meals most of the time, one for them and one for DH and me. Also we flip-flop back and forth b/w insisting they at least take 1 bite and letting them do whatever they want at meal time.

9. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Shoot, I feel like I am still in 'survival mode' you know the one everyone talks about in the first part of the first year!! :laughing:
    We are lucky we make it out the door at all in the mornings let alone on time!

I had a singleton first and I had that down pat, I thought I was super mom and then when the twins came along that threw a wrench in the whole deal!! I dont even know this person I am anymore! Ha! :wacko:

10. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

I still cannot figure out how to find time for myself! I work full-time, so that is technically "time for myself," but I need to learn to give myself permission to do things just for me. And I know this is something that every mom struggles with whether they work at home, stay at home or work outside of the home.

Anyone found a good solultion? Plus, it does not help that my husband is a complete home-body, so I feel guilty even thinking about stepping out in the evenings to do something fun!

11. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

clothes... I have 3 drawers in the closet
    #1 for now its got 1/2 boy shorts, 1/2 girl shorts/skirts
    #2 drawer for girl shirts - I fold them small so that I stack them vertically? so that you can see 1" of the shirt fabric from front to back in the drawers. this way I can see all the possibilities. I have 3 stacks, left is the ones that are tank tops, then in the middle tshirts, then right side is nicer shirts.
    #3 similar to drawer #2 but for boy shirts (button down shirts, polo type and then tshirts)

then in the closet I have 3 shelves, again one for boy, girl and mixed. I have the shelves labeled for jeans, long pants, matched outfits etc.

I also have 3 hanging racks in the closet, girl, boy, and future clothes...

then in the changing table I have the top drawer for PJs, middle drawer for undies bottom drawer for sheets etc.

I have a couple of large plastic tubs for clothes that I'm either saving, or are too big and I try to keep those labeled.... that's hard though! I definitely have too many clothes!

I've found that for me and the others who put clothes away for me, I have to have the drawers labeled, it really helps me keep things organized. I wish the rest of the house were so organized!

12. traci.finley

traci.finley Well-Known Member

how to make them stop crying all. the . time.!!!