NUBY Sippy Cup HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Debbi and A.J., Nov 29, 2006.

1. Debbi and A.J.

Debbi and A.J. Well-Known Member

OK, I ordered the sippy cups yesterday and I was so excited when they came TODAY!!

I ordered the two packs with no handles and then I ordered 2, 7 oz. cups with handles.

I put 1/2 water and 1/2 grape juice, and then got it all over me, Sally and then Sophie too. I smell like a grape.

OK- so here is my issue. How come it leaks through the seal? I see how I have to line up the nipple so it fits with the little side raised bumps, but it still isn't sealed right. It doesn't leak through the nipple, but through the seal.

I finally fixed the two 9 oz, no handles (for now)--- and I am not sure how, other than luck... and then I moved on to the ones with the handles. Same issue with the seal (which i am guessing is because I am not putting it on tight enough?) So, when I screw on the Nuby lid for the cup with the handles, the nipple is over one of the handles and not aligned properly.

HELP!! Do I return them, or is there a trick that I am not understanding.

Good news is that Sally and Sophie are drinking from the no handle cups and they are loving it!

They drink well on their back and/or reclined. How do I help them understand gravity so that they can drink sitting up or in their high chair? Same problem with the bottles...

Thanks!

2. Debbi and A.J.

Debbi and A.J. Well-Known Member

OK, I ordered the sippy cups yesterday and I was so excited when they came TODAY!!

I ordered the two packs with no handles and then I ordered 2, 7 oz. cups with handles.

I put 1/2 water and 1/2 grape juice, and then got it all over me, Sally and then Sophie too. I smell like a grape.

OK- so here is my issue. How come it leaks through the seal? I see how I have to line up the nipple so it fits with the little side raised bumps, but it still isn't sealed right. It doesn't leak through the nipple, but through the seal.

I finally fixed the two 9 oz, no handles (for now)--- and I am not sure how, other than luck... and then I moved on to the ones with the handles. Same issue with the seal (which i am guessing is because I am not putting it on tight enough?) So, when I screw on the Nuby lid for the cup with the handles, the nipple is over one of the handles and not aligned properly.

HELP!! Do I return them, or is there a trick that I am not understanding.

Good news is that Sally and Sophie are drinking from the no handle cups and they are loving it!

They drink well on their back and/or reclined. How do I help them understand gravity so that they can drink sitting up or in their high chair? Same problem with the bottles...

Thanks!

3. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I always had to make sure that the nipple was smooth all the way around and that the little bumps were lined up. Other than that, I can't think of what the problem would be. I never had the ones with the handles, so I can't help there. I hope you get them fixed soon so that you can use them!

4. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I never used those type of Nubys, but I do use their straw cups. We switched to the straw cups because I couldn't get them to drink out of the regular ones without reclining. They wanted to walk around and drink and they just couldn't get the hang of tipping their heads back to drink. Anyhow, I hope you figure out the leaking problem.

5. denali_ice

denali_ice Well-Known Member

These are the handled cups that we use. http://www.babybungalow.com/nu10oznospcu.html I don't have any problem with lining up the tops. Now, sometimes I have a bit of trouble with screwing on the top...and the boys like to bang them on things which will cause milk or juice to go flying out.

We also use these and I haven't had any problems with them, but I do think that the tops are a looser fit so I have concerns about when they figure out how to unscrew them. http://www.babybungalow.com/nunosp10ozgr.html

I do prefer this second cup right now, though

6. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

quote:

First off, congrats on getting them to use sippies so soon! That's awesome. Mine didn't grasp the concet of using a sippy until around 12-13 months. Then, even at that, Morgan didn't understand the whole tilting the head and tilting the cup to get it to come out until around 14 months. Reagan understood and used a regular sippy. Morgan used those Munchkin brand straw sippies until she got the hang of the regular ones.

The only cups I ever found to NOT leak at all are the Gerber ones, but they have to have a pretty good suck on it to get liquid out.

Never used the Nuby's and even the straw ones would leak periodically.

Goodluck!

7. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Personally I hated the Nuby's as they always leaked for me. NOt sure what I was evder doing wrong? I made sure it was lined up, made sure it was not screwed on too tight or too loose and finally gave up on them. I prefer the Playtex ones. I hope the mystery gets solved for you Debbi!

8. CCJN

CCJN Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by Debbi and A.J.:

Thanks!

Debbi this is how my guys were so we also got some of the straw cups I think by munchkin. Nathan's ST also said using staws helped with the preemies and their oral motor muscles which helps with their speech development. So maybe mix it up a bit and let them use the regular sippies in the chair when reclined and the straw cups in their high chairs.

9. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

Sorry, I hate Nuby sippies. they tump over and leak like crazy and so I threw mine away and got some Munchkin ones. Sorry no help. Try Munchkin if you can't get them to work.

10. cellomom

cellomom Well-Known Member

We happily use the NUBY sippies without handles - I don't even worry about the little bumps lining up - and don't tend to have leaking problems. The handled ones are a pain in the butt, IMO, b/c the spouts never line up properly.

Some thoughts about avoiding leaking: make sure the tops are dry when you screw them on, and don't overtighten the tops, or the spout part can buckle under the lid. Also, it could be that b/c they are new, the plastic spout inserts are stiff, and not sealing well?

After we fill them, we turn them over in the sink and give a shake or two. This gets the drips out, and they are generally ready to go.

HTH

-Karen