Oatmeal question...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by WinterJAM, Nov 28, 2006.

1. WinterJAM

WinterJAM Active Member

What kind of oatmeal do you serve? Regular oatmeal from box, packets, flavored, or regular? Also, do they feed it to themselves or do you feed it to them?

My 3-kiddos eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast, and we use the packets. I make 2-regular, and 1-flavored (brown maple sugar, I believe). Also, I give them 2 whole bananas sliced. I have a 2-year old and twins that are 1.

I'm kinda concerned because of the sugar content. I tried to switch to all regular, but they looked at me like I was crazy, and stopped eating half way through.

Also, I feel guilty feeding it to them. It is so much easier than to deal with the mess, and I feel that their breakfast is their one substantial meal. They can be picky eaters for lunch & dinner because they feed themselves.

Please share, and thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. WinterJAM

WinterJAM Active Member

What kind of oatmeal do you serve? Regular oatmeal from box, packets, flavored, or regular? Also, do they feed it to themselves or do you feed it to them?

My 3-kiddos eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast, and we use the packets. I make 2-regular, and 1-flavored (brown maple sugar, I believe). Also, I give them 2 whole bananas sliced. I have a 2-year old and twins that are 1.

I'm kinda concerned because of the sugar content. I tried to switch to all regular, but they looked at me like I was crazy, and stopped eating half way through.

Also, I feel guilty feeding it to them. It is so much easier than to deal with the mess, and I feel that their breakfast is their one substantial meal. They can be picky eaters for lunch & dinner because they feed themselves.

Please share, and thanks in advance! [​IMG]

3. MTBx2

MTBx2 Well-Known Member

When I give my girls oatmeal it's the brown sugar packets, and I usually feed it to them. I figure I give them plenty of chances to practice with their spoons and forks when I give them stuff that's not so hard to clean up. LOL

4. Angie26

Angie26 Well-Known Member

My kids eat Apple Cinnamon. I did just recently buy the different flavors and they like them. I feed them their oatmeal, but they still make a mess. [​IMG]

5. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

We make crockpot oatmeal using Alton Brown's recipie: Overnight oatmeal

You can substitute the cranberries and figs for whatever dried fruit you want. We've experimented with various combinations, I really like apples and cranberries, also cherries and golden raisins.

The kids like it too, and there isn't any added sugar, unless the dried fruit is sweetened, which it is sometimes. I can't go back to eating instant oatmeal after having it this way. Sooo much better!

Just a warning though: Turn the crockpot off as soon as you get up and take the lid off. Otherwise, it is nuclear and it takes while to cool down.

6. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

If they don't eat a lot of sugar otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. If they do and you are looking to cut back, this would be a good place to try because you can add sugar yourself and cut it back gradually.

I am just starting with oatmeal -- we use Quaker quick oats (not instant) but I add brown sugar & milk to it. I think the texture is a little too gummy for them still, but I'm hoping they'll get used to it.

And I do feed them. Well, I feed Sarah -- Amy will only eat it with her hands. [​IMG]

7. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

We use the packets for sure convience. We actually don't eat it for breakfast, but as a quick--"I'm hungry now!" snack. I make one packet for the both of them, divide it into two bowls, then ad a big dolup of plain yogurt in the middle. They've been eating by themselves since they were about 10 months old.

8. Steven_Keirra

Steven_Keirra Well-Known Member

We like peaches 'n' cream here. It was always a favorite of mine when I was growing up, and now that the kiddos have given it a chance they love it as well.

9. mesamama

mesamama Well-Known Member

If you buy "quick oats" at the store it takes hardly any time to cook them...it's a 2 to 1 situation: 1 cup of oatmeal to 2 cups of water. Boil, turn down to simmer for just a few minutes. That way you add what you want to: milk, maple syrup, sugar, friut, nuts- whatever. I personally think the packets are gross. Just MHO.

10. Marian

Marian Well-Known Member

If you're concerned about the extra sugar, what about mixing some fruit into it--unsweetened applesauce or pears come to mind.

11. MeldieB

MeldieB Well-Known Member

We use the quick oats. I think the packets are yucky. And I like to really know what my girlies are eating. I like to do the adding. The quick oats are super easy. I think just as easy as packets. I just pop the oats/milk in the microwave for 2 minutes, add a little brown sugar or maple syrup and cinnamon and voila. Easy.

12. Whoa Mama

Whoa Mama Well-Known Member

We only eat the Quaker old fashioned oats (I buy them at Costco we eat so much!) and I either put chopped dried fruit or raisins, mashed banana, or 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce and a dash of cinnamon in it. So, I make it a little sweeter by adding those things, but I'm not adding pure sugar. Try something like that and see if they like it.

13. kelly79

kelly79 Well-Known Member

We use the regular oatmeal. You can put so much stuff in it to make it taste "better" than the packet stuff, which is full of sugar. Here I usually put some fruit and yogurt in it, it cools down the oatmeal fast so I dont have to hear them fussing for food, and it also makes it a tad sweeter too.

14. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

I loved oatmeal packets as a kid, and so do my boys. Hayden and Brady eat flavored oatmeal several times a week. They tend to go for the cinnamon roll or apple cinnamon, and then they usually want either raisins or sliced bananas added.

15. WinterJAM

WinterJAM Active Member

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for the replies!!!

mollysmom: That's exactly how I feel about the mess too, LOL!

Angie26: My DH accidentally bought the apples & cinnamon instead of the brown sugar one...and it tasted really good!

Snittens: Thanks for that recipe link! It looks real easy to make. I might just try that!

Minette: I guess I'm not going to worry too much since they do not eat a lot of sugar. They have fruit for sweets on occasion, and that's it. My DD only drinks apple juice 1-2x/week, if that, and my boys haven't had any yet.

Meximeli: Hmmm...I never even thought about adding plain yogurt. That's another great idea! I'm envious that your twins are eating oatmeal by themselves at 10 months, to boot!!!

Steven Keirra: YUM! I loved peaches & cream growing up too!

mesamama: Yes, that does seem really easy too!

Marian: Actually, I do add sliced bananas every morning. When we run out, I add apples, peaches, or pears to it. They do LOVE fruit!

MeldieB: Another mention of the quick oats??? I must give that a try!

Whao Mama: I like that idea too! Ya know, I gave them the fruit on top first, and then the oatmeal. But, if I mix it all in, and tried all regular, perhaps, it would be better. Silly me!!!

trystero: Thanks! Most do it that way too, so it must be worth a try!

jxnsmama: I never had a problem with the packets myself. I could always try all regular packets, and then mix fruit in, and see if they like it.

Thanks again for all the replies!!! I've got some experimenting to do now! [​IMG]