odd question about bunk bed/ceiling height

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by MichelleL, Jul 2, 2011.

1. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

We might be getting a set of hand-me-down bunks from my bro and SIL. The top of the bunks measures 75" (at the very top post, not top of the mattress) but our ceilings are only 90". Doesn't that seem a little too close to the ceiling? Do you have any idea how many inches are between the top of your bunk (from the top post) to the ceiling?

2. r-twins

r-twins Well-Known Member

Well the post probably isn't a big deal, it's the distance from the mattress I would think. Our post is 33 inches from the ceiling and the top of the mattress is 40 inches. Good luck, hope it works out. :)

3. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

depends on whether or not you have a ceiling fan in their room and how far the bed is from the fan - friends of ours have their kids (not twins) in bunks and the fan has to be off at night!

4. Sue1968

Sue1968 Well-Known Member

I agree it's the mattress height and the not post height that counts, but it still might be a tight squeeze. You really need enough room for the child to be able to sit up in the bed. Also, consider that your child is going to get taller as time goes on. We have 96-inch ceilings and this bunk bed from Ikea. I haven't measured it myself but the website says it's about 62.5 inches high.

5. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

It sounds like it may be cutting it close with the height. Definitely measure everything out before you bring it in, because bunk beds are a pain to deal with, even when they do fit, lol.

6. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Apart from ceiling fan issues--I remember from my dorm days, that the top bunk had to allow you to sit up and have 6 inches of clearance over your head. If the RA thought your loft looked too high they measured. It was a fire saftey thing, in order to get out in a hurry you had to have that much head clearance. Same goes for the bottom bunk--I've seen bunk beds for sale here in Mexico where no adult would be able to sit up in the bottom bed let alone have 6 additional inches of clearance.

7. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

So based on what you are all saying, they are too high. That was exactly my initial thought too. I don't know how tall my Bro and Sil ceilings are, but they are significantly higher than ours so it wasn't a big deal for them. But I remember thinking "these would never work in my girls' room" the last time I saw them assembled.

I appreciate your input! :thanks: