Off Topic: Camcorder

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by mintpint, Nov 18, 2011.

1. mintpint

mintpint Active Member

Hi All,

Sorry, this is an off-topic but I was wondering if you can share the experience of your camcorder. What brand and model you have and how happy you are with it. I intend to use it for recording the twins general day-to-day activities.

Thanks.

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have a Sony Handycam DVD recorder and I love it:) But for day to day things I usually use my Flip video! I love it, its small enough I take in my purse whenever I bring my camera....which is always it seems;)

3. Silly_Putty

Silly_Putty Well-Known Member

We have the Canon Vixia HFM40. It's very, very nice- has built in memory but you can add more, records in HD. Lightweight, easy to figure out, you can delete scenes. I love it. It also has built in stabilization so when you watch it doesn't have that shakiness that you often see with home video. There are less expensive models that still feature the stabilization, which really is very, very nice to have.

Canon Vixia HFM40

Editing to add- it is also fantastic in low light. It has a large lens which means it takes in more light. When we record video with our camera (Canon G9) in dim light, the video is always darker than the actual lighting. This video comes out lighter so you can see clearly what is going on (like low light shots on television). Great for going into the kids room and recording them when they are just waking up, when the lights are out and shades are drawn. Or sneaking in while they are asleep :)

4. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

We love our Flip video too. The software that comes with it makes uploading videos to my YouTube and Facebook accounts so easy.

We also recently got a Motorola Xoom tablet, and the video quality of that is VERY good, better than the Flip. But the Flip is still pretty good. And the Xoom doesn't fit in my purse like the Flip does :)

5. mintpint

mintpint Active Member

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am leaning towards the Flip video because I want to be able to carry it with me every time. The video that I made with my camera are so dark and of bad quality. The twins are at such a cute age and I don't want to miss any moment.

Thanks again.

6. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

About 6 weeks ago Woot.com had Flip MinoHD 4GB Camcorders (3rd Gen - Newest) for only $40, and they were new (not refurbished). I pounced on that and bought my mom one for Christmas. She loves to take short vids of the boys with her Kodak digital camera (which is a hand-me-down from us), and the quality just is not good, and dark like you say. We paid over $100 for our Flip 2.5 years ago, so $40 was a super deal. Anyway, if you have time and aren't in super hurry to get one right away, keep your eyes peeled for daily deals at woot.com, slickdeals.net, and the like. I'm a daily deal junkie! LOL GL!

7. mintpint

mintpint Active Member

Thanks for the websites. I'll keep an eye.