Oh Christmas Tree...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by debbie_long83, Nov 8, 2009.

1. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

I knot it's not even Thanksgiving yet, BUT

Last year the girls tried to mess with the tree a good bit. Neither was walking and Hailey was only trying to crawl. Well, with Hailey going full speed now and Hannah getting into everything even as a crawler, I'm trying to figure out how our Christmas tree will survive along with the ornaments. Last year we were able to keep most ornaments out of their reach but to do that this year we would only have ornaments on the very top, lol. I'm considering using our superyard and putting that around the tree if we have room. Any other ideas?

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Last year we put our tree up and didn't have a whole lot of problems. We didn't put any of the glass ornaments on the tree, but other than that we just watched them. They really didn't mess with it a whole lot.

3. cheesehead4girl

cheesehead4girl Well-Known Member

i'm wondering what to do as well. last year, i downsized to a small tree to avoid problems. now i'm trying to figure out where to put the small tree! we have a small house so we don't have a lot of options of where to put a tree. i may end up having to use my dining table to keep it out of their reach. i don't really want to do that but i don't want to have to wonder if they're going to take it apart when i need to use the bathroom!! :)

tanya

4. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Mine are quite a bit younger, but we were thinking of putting our superyard around it...I'm not sure if that's the best most attractive idea...but i'm so excited to see how they react to the tree this year!

5. I have been wondering how I was going to put up a tree at all this year. Our Twin boys will be 2 just before Christmas. They absolutely love to get into everything and climb on Anything. I am thinking of at least trying to put up the tree, but decorate it with things that they can help put on the tree. I just hope we can keep them from climbing the tree. The super yard doesn't keep them away from anything.

6. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Last year I used the superyard and they were 11 months old. This year I plan on putting the tree in a corner (not because of them) and I'll see what happens. They will be almost 2 and if I need to, I'll use the superyard again. They have become really good lately at listening. But then again, Jake get's really excited when he sees all the trees in the stores.

The first level of our house is mine :p and they have the entire basement and a playroom upstairs along with their bedroom. Except for eating and when we go out, they don't spend a lot of time on the main level.

I was just thinking that I will not be putting up a lot of the things I usually do. I put decorations on the coffee & end tables and I won't be doing that this year. I usually decorate the basement but since it's now their playroom there really is no point in doing it.

7. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i'm also going to give the superyard a go. my girls aren't really climbers though so i'm fairly confident it will work. i am scaling back on the rest of the decorations in the room though - just not worth the hassle. i'm so excited about Christmas - it's my favorite holiday. :D

8. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I think I won't even put one up. Not enough space, and my kids can get to anything. They have to enjoy the tree at Grammy and Grampy's.

9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Last year, we did put a tree up and did not put ornaments on the bottom. We put their toy box in front of it and that blocked them from it, last year. This year, we'll see how they do and if they are too crazy with it, we'll put a gate up.

10. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

We have ended up putting our tree up on top of our square coffee table for many years, just seemed easier with dogs & cats etc... it also helps to only have to get a 4 to 5 foot tree instead of a 6+ foot one! anyway, I'm sure we'll do the same thing again... but might also have to resort to a superyard too... especially since my husband likes to put out a train set around the bottom of the tree... and that might be too tempting.

11. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

No tree for us this year... not worth spending money just to have something else the kids can get into!

12. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We're just going to put one up, hold off on the glass ornaments, and wish for the best!

13. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Last year my girls were just about the same age as your girls are this year. We put our tree in our living room and didn't put a gate around it. We had no glass or really heavy ornaments on the tree (*sniff sniff for me because I heart my ceramic snowmen*), and didn't have a lot of ornaments on the bottom of the tree either. The living room isn't their main playing room, so they were only in the living room supervised. That said, they did like taking the ornaments off and then redecorating the tree. It wasn't as bad as I anticipated and the tree survived all the toddler attention. Maybe try it out and if they are really into messing with it, put a super yard around the thing. GL!

14. bkpjlp

bkpjlp Well-Known Member

We put our tree up in the finished part of our basement. We normally aren't down there much, so it won't be a problem.

15. marcymiller

marcymiller Well-Known Member

We are going to put the superyard around the tree! Won't be the prettiest thing but it is necessary! Maybe I'll put garland or ribbons on the superyard to spruce it up!! Then again, they'll just make a mess of that too.... but at least it's not breakable and they won't be tearing into gifts and chewing on the wire for the lights!!!

16. Rach1137

Rach1137 Well-Known Member

I am planning to put the tree up over Thanksgiving weekend. I have realized that my boys spend a lot less time messing with things when we don't make a big deal out of it. I don't think I will be putting anything breakable within their reach and am comtemplating not putting any of our normal glass bulbs on it at all this year. We have a lot of ornaments that won't matter if they touch or play with them, so they will be on the bottom of the tree. I'm also hoping that by putting it up early, they'll have time to get used to it being there and won't be so excited to mess with the trees everywhere else we go over the holidays.

If they bug it too much, the super yard will go around it.

17. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

DH and I were just talking about this. Last year they were immobile little bundles, sitting in their bouncers and staring at the lights. This year they are psycho toddler-bots, rampaging through the house. They run over to the electrical outlets, mess with them, and say "no no" while giggling. :faint: So "teaching" them not to touch the tree may be a futile, destructive process.

I think we're going to have to put the superyard around the tree and hope for the best.

18. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

Hmm.. last year we didn't decorate for Christmas because we moved on the 27th [kinda pointless]. Currently we have a superyard around our t.v. to keep them from messing with it. We're going to try to put a tree next to the t.v. and have it enclosed by the superyard as well. We'll see how that goes, but that's the plan [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

I have a small 3ft tree that I am going to use this year. We are going to put it on top of our tv stand so we don't have to worry about any of our kids pulling it down on them.

20. Bridgett

Bridgett Well-Known Member

I was also curious what others were going to do. We are also going to put up a tree and hope for the best. I am not putting on breakable ornaments. We are going to try and avoid putting up a gate around it since we don't use gates normally but we will see what happens. I'm so excited - can't wait to see their little faces. They will be so excited!!

21. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

I have a small, square table in a corner of our lounge that Im planning to put our tree on. The playpen is in front of the table so Im hoping that will be enough. They dont ask to go into the playpen much so Im going to risk it. Im sure DS will find a way though as he cant resist lights! LOL! Luckily the playpen is just too big and heavy for them to move. We´ll see! Im also using an artificial tree!

22. laurenlantz

laurenlantz Well-Known Member

This is the first year that we will have to deal with mobile babies and the Christmas tree. I'm planning on using my superyard. My friend enforces a one finger touch rule with her toddler. She allows her daughter to touch with one finger. It will take some training and work on your part for them to understand what that means, but it may be worth it.

23. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

Hmmm - I am thinking we will have to use our play yard - but my issue is the only place to put the tree is far away from where we normally use the play yard to block the fireplace and entertainment center. I really dont want to buy another play yard just to block the tree. Guess I better get creative.

24. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

At 25 months, we really thought we could put up a tree. When they broke ornaments, we moved a couch to block access. Didn't work. They would move the couch. It all came to a head when DH saw out of the corner of his eye the tree go by the kitchen door. They were hauling it to their room.

The next year, at 3 yrs 1 month, they did much better. My advice for the 1-3 age range is to skip the tree.

25. debbie_long83

:woah: Not cool for you at all, but the visual of that made me giggle. :)

Thanks everybody for the tips! Still haven't completely decided what to do.

26. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

OMG, that is the funniest thing I've heard all day! At least you have a good story out of it. ;)

27. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

That's my plan, too - I have gates keeping them out of the living room (they have run of the rest of the first floor) because I'm nervous about the fireplace in there anyway so I figure that's a great place for the tree. Then they can see it when we are all there as a family (2 on 2, better odds!).

I completely agree. I'm going to try to put some light weight fabric or plastic ornaments on the bottom of the tree and then just try to downplay the whole thing. I'm ok with them redecorating as long as they don't try to climb it!

I missed the quote somehow, but thanks for the story about the kids hauling the tree - I can completely picture that. Mine just teamed up on me last night - they have a wooden quilt rack in their room with the (overpriced and unnecessary but who knew?) quilts that came with their crib sets and a few handmade blankets on it. They both squeezed their way behind it and pushed in unison. It was crazy to see this huge thing covered in heavy blankets go flying across the room...they are too strong together and could totally move a tree!

28. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

we are going to tie ours to the wall. We are going to put a bolt/hook type thing in the wall and wrap a rope/string around it,inside the branches so it can't be seen, so they can't push or pull it over. All breakable ornaments will be at the top.

Dianna

29. debbie_long83

Dianna, that's funny that you said that. I had mentioned the Christmas tree thing to MIL the other day and she told me of a relative whose child knocked over the tree a couple of times so they actually hung if from the ceiling! lol... I think your idea may be a bit more practical!

30. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

Yeah it does seem practical. I really don't want them pulling the tree down. But I also don't want to have to end up taking it down early.

Dianna

31. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

I'm just starting to panic over this. Last night while trying to sleep I came to realize all our ornaments from years past are breakable or too
    sentimental to break. I need to find indestructable(can't spell) ornaments that will last the next 3-5 years that I don't hate.
    I don't think the superyard will be enough next year given they are trying to jump off the back of the sofa already at 14 months.
    I can't imagine not having a tree at all. Oh boy! Such blessings we have now ... and the things we took for granted our pre-twin days.

32. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Over the last two years, I have bought a slew of shatterproof ornaments on sale after Christmas. We used those last year when the boys were 22 months old, with some lights and that was it. I missed having my "nice" ornaments up, but the boys did really well. We told them they could look but not touch which worked moderately well. They had a tendency to move some of the lower balls from branch to branch but nothing too bad. If the lights were on the tree, they didn't seem to mess with it much...we would look at it and say "oh...pretty" and they pretty much left it alone.

However, this year I'm scared to death of my little ms. nosey...but alas...the ornaments are shatterproof and if the tree becomes mangled, I suppose I can unmangle it.