Ok, I got the worst mother award the other day

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by twins2008, Feb 12, 2009.

1. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

It has taken me this long to post about it without crying. I had Cami and Kyle on the couch in their Boppy's like usual, they had just finished their bottles and were having some Cheerios. Kyle was trying to reach his bottle which I has put behind him on the couch, in the meantime Cami pulled one of her trademark lunge off the Boppy and try to get what she wants moves. I couldn't get myself turned around fast enough and she fell off the couch. I have tried so hard to keep this from happening, and it did anyway. I felt terrible, like the worst mother in the world. I know it happens, but it was terrible. I am not totally sure how she landed initially but she was on her back when I got myself turned around. She didn't cry at first but then she she screamed and didn't stop for a while. Of course I was crying too so I don't know if that made it worse. I didn't notice anything right away but then her nose looked red. She had a little bit of blood on the inside but nothing was coming out. When she finally calmed down I layed her down and ran throught the shower. I took her to the ER because I was so nervous about it. Our floors are plank so they are not soft, we do have an area rug, but it is thin and not fluffy so it did not provide much cushion. So I took them all to the ER and the lady at the reception desk was helping someone and said that there were four other people waiting. There was a nurse doing triage and she said that as long as she wasn't acting groggy or unlike herself she was fine and they wouldn't do anything for her nose if anything had happened to it. I decided to take her home rather than wait to hear the same thing from the dr. She had been crawling and babbling before we got there so she seemed fine. Her poor little nose still has marks on it like rug burn and a little red one on the outside of her nostril. My poor baby :(

Jen

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

:hug: I totally know how you feel, and it's awful! When Kaylyn was 5 months old I brought her in my bed in the morning to feed her. Apparently I fell asleep and she rolled off my bed (a good 3 1/2 ft drop!). I was hysterical!! But she was just fine!

I hope her little nose feels better soon! :hug:

3. mollyjm

mollyjm Well-Known Member

I understand. When Ella was about 9 months I had her on the changing table. I turned around only for a sec to grab the diaper behind me. In a split second she had roled off the table. As I was turning back around I could see her going down but it was too late and I couldn't stop it. She hit the side of her face on the diaper gene and then roled and landed on her back. I freaked out! She screamend and then get very sleepy. I actually called 911. The ambulance came and the EMT's checked her out. They said she was fine and didn't feel I needed to take her to the ER. She did however get an ugly big bruise on her right check that stuck around for a long time. So, if you holding the "worst mother of the year" award, Im standing right there with you.

4. MikTayMom

MikTayMom Member

I know how you feel. 2 weeks ago Taylor, my adventerous 5 month old, "rolled" her wait out of her boppy, fell out and bumped her head on her sister's boppy. I was changing her sister on the changing table when this happened. She paused and then screamed too! I freaked out too. She was fine the rest of the night and since. But ever since then she gets strapped in!!!!! Mikayla doesn't try to wiggle out of hers - yet. It's scary when something like that happens - especially the first time! You're not a bad mom.

5. twins2008

QUOTE(Kyrstyn @ Feb 12 2009, 11:12 PM) [snapback]1188209[/snapback]
    :hug: I totally know how you feel, and it's awful! When Kaylyn was 5 months old I brought her in my bed in the morning to feed her. Apparently I fell asleep and she rolled off my bed (a good 3 1/2 ft drop!). I was hysterical!! But she was just fine!

I hope her little nose feels better soon! :hug:

That must have been awful. I guess they aren't as fragile as we think they are but boy do they make us worry. I am sure her nose will be better before I stop saying "be careful of her nose" to dh :lol: . Thank you so much.

Jen

6. twins2008

QUOTE(mollyjm+2 @ Feb 12 2009, 11:17 PM) [snapback]1188216[/snapback]
    I understand. When Ella was about 9 months I had her on the changing table. I turned around only for a sec to grab the diaper behind me. In a split second she had roled off the table. As I was turning back around I could see her going down but it was too late and I couldn't stop it. She hit the side of her face on the diaper gene and then roled and landed on her back. I freaked out! She screamend and then get very sleepy. I actually called 911. The ambulance came and the EMT's checked her out. They said she was fine and didn't feel I needed to take her to the ER. She did however get an ugly big bruise on her right check that stuck around for a long time. So, if you holding the "worst mother of the year" award, Im standing right there with you.

Although there are way better awards to be holding, at least we are not alone. That must have terrifying though. I am glad it turned out ok.

Jen

7. twins2008

QUOTE(MikTayMom @ Feb 12 2009, 11:18 PM) [snapback]1188220[/snapback]
    I know how you feel. 2 weeks ago Taylor, my adventerous 5 month old, "rolled" her wait out of her boppy, fell out and bumped her head on her sister's boppy. I was changing her sister on the changing table when this happened. She paused and then screamed too! I freaked out too. She was fine the rest of the night and since. But ever since then she gets strapped in!!!!! Mikayla doesn't try to wiggle out of hers - yet. It's scary when something like that happens - especially the first time! You're not a bad mom.

It is funny how one is always more adventurous than the other. Cami has always been the first to do something scary. Kyle undoubtedly is not too far behind, but he is not in as big a hurry to move so it takes him a while to catch up, thank God. I am glad Taylor was ok, so scary. Thanks.

Jen

8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Definetly not alone. When my ds was 10 months old he fell out of his crib. To this day we have no clue how, there was nothing to stand on in it, the mattress was already on the lowest setting and the crib rail was up around his shoulders. But he was mad because we were making him cry it out and somehow crawled up and out of it! I felt so awful I had to leave dh to deal with him because I was crying so hard!

Then when he was 18 months old he fell forward off the bed in the camper, onto the step, and got his first black eye. I had to leave the camper that time too.

AND my dd fell off that same dang bed (it's cursed) at about 10 months old, and bruised her cheek.

It happens, don't feel bad :hug:

9. twins2008

QUOTE(Danibell @ Feb 12 2009, 11:38 PM) [snapback]1188250[/snapback]
    Definetly not alone. When my ds was 10 months old he fell out of his crib. To this day we have no clue how, there was nothing to stand on in it, the mattress was already on the lowest setting and the crib rail was up around his shoulders. But he was mad because we were making him cry it out and somehow crawled up and out of it! I felt so awful I had to leave dh to deal with him because I was crying so hard!

Then when he was 18 months old he fell forward off the bed in the camper, onto the step, and got his first black eye. I had to leave the camper that time too.

AND my dd fell off that same dang bed (it's cursed) at about 10 months old, and bruised her cheek.

It happens, don't feel bad :hug:

Wow, they are little escape artists aren't they. If dh had been home I probably would have had to leave to, who am I kidding I probably still would have been hugging her and crying hysterically.

I am glad your little ones made it relatively unscathed.

My older ds is accident prone. He has had so many accidents you would think I would be used to it. As much as I got upset when he got hurt, it just seems worse when they are so little.

Thank you for the hug.

Jen

10. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Sorry Cami fell!! Don't sweat it...babies are way tougher than we think they are. One fall does not make a bad Mommy..if it did I'd be a really bad Mom.

11. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

:hug: You are not a bad mom. Accidents happen all the time. Glad she is okay.

12. two4one2008

two4one2008 Well-Known Member

It must be the week for falls. I was playing with Ethan and Aidan on the couch Tuesday. They were both laying and I was on my knees in front of the couch playing with them. Ethan spit up and I reached to get a rag right beside him and Aidan lauched himself and rolled right off on the hardwood floor. I don't know how he got turned around, but he landed on his butt and then smacked his head. We had the "silent scream" for about 5 seconds. then the crying began. There was a little red spot where his head had hit the floor. He cried for awhile and so did I. I still feel guilty. I think I'll feel guilty when he's 20. :hug: Hugs to you and I'm glad your kiddo is okay.

13. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(nifer @ Feb 12 2009, 11:08 PM) [snapback]1188202[/snapback]
    It has taken me this long to post about it without crying. I had Cami and Kyle on the couch in their Boppy's like usual, they had just finished their bottles and were having some Cheerios. Kyle was trying to reach his bottle which I has put behind him on the couch, in the meantime Cami pulled one of her trademark lunge off the Boppy and try to get what she wants moves. I couldn't get myself turned around fast enough and she fell off the couch. I have tried so hard to keep this from happening, and it did anyway. I felt terrible, like the worst mother in the world. I know it happens, but it was terrible. I am not totally sure how she landed initially but she was on her back when I got myself turned around. She didn't cry at first but then she she screamed and didn't stop for a while. Of course I was crying too so I don't know if that made it worse. I didn't notice anything right away but then her nose looked red. She had a little bit of blood on the inside but nothing was coming out. When she finally calmed down I layed her down and ran throught the shower. I took her to the ER because I was so nervous about it. Our floors are plank so they are not soft, we do have an area rug, but it is thin and not fluffy so it did not provide much cushion. So I took them all to the ER and the lady at the reception desk was helping someone and said that there were four other people waiting. There was a nurse doing triage and she said that as long as she wasn't acting groggy or unlike herself she was fine and they wouldn't do anything for her nose if anything had happened to it. I decided to take her home rather than wait to hear the same thing from the dr. She had been crawling and babbling before we got there so she seemed fine. Her poor little nose still has marks on it like rug burn and a little red one on the outside of her nostril. My poor baby :(

Jen

You are not a bad mom! I just let Jack fall out of a chair the other day because they have been doing really well getting down from chairs, so I wasn't watching as closely. She's fine - it's awful when they get hurt, but they will get a lot of bumps and bruises in childhood. :hug:

14. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: It was probably harder on you than it was on your daughter. Accidents happen, don't beat yourself up over it! One of mine fell off the couch this week too, and has a rug burn on her forehead in the pattern of my area rug.

15. Boni

Boni Well-Known Member

I totally understand you you feel. but accidents will happend and you dont hav to feel bad. its all part opf growing up

16. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry but these things do happen! When DD was three months old I left her for only a few months in the Boppy newborn lounger on the couch while I got their bath ready...I'm gone for 2 seconds when I hear a plop and a cry...the Boppy had slid off the couch and landed on top of her. I was hysterical, calling the pedi, DH, holding her...she was shaken and crying, but eventually fell asleep and awoke all smiles. I learned a lesson and moved on. We're only human and we're doing the best we can. You sound like a wonderful, loving mother to me:)

17. mommy1005

mommy1005 Active Member

We all have those moments. On the morning of my DS's 1st birthday party I left the gate at the top of the stairs open and he fell down 14 steep steps and landed on the hardwood floors at the bottom. It was horrible and I felt so guilty about it that I initially lied to everyone at the party about why he had a huge bruise on his head. I eventually fessed up, but I just felt like the worst Mom ever!! Thank God he wasn't seriously hurt!

18. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: It's happened here-when Sophia was about 4-5 months old, we finally figured out that we could no longer occupy her with the boppy on the couch because she would wiggle her way out of it and fall down. She's fallen off the bed, Luke has gone down the steps because he figured out how to get around the gate. Doesn't make the guilt any easier but I know now I have to have eyes and ears everywhere. You are a great a Momma, don't doubt that for a minute!

19. Bridgett

Bridgett Well-Known Member

(((HUGS))) I posted something very similar to this when my girls were around 3 months. I used to put Madison on my bed with pillows around her for naps so they would not be in the same room. It was never a problem until one day I heard a "thud" and a few seconds later following by her crying. She had kicked the pillow and rolled off. Never again did she nap on the bed. Just about every mom I have to talked to has had something similar happen. I can totally see Madison trying to climb out of her crib one day. Hasn't happened yet but she is a little monkey!

20. AngelKLP13

AngelKLP13 Well-Known Member

I think every baby falls off the couch at some point. With my DS he was four months old. I was sitting next to him on the couch, he was laying down. His paci fell in the floor and I bent over to get it. Somehow he rolled off the couch, it was a split second. He cried and I felt horrible and cried too....IMO I think it scares them more than hurts them. You are not a horrible mother!! Please don't beat yourself up about it.