Okay I will start the S/O of tvs in bedrooms....

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by brianamurnion, Mar 26, 2008.

1. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

This was mentioned in the other thread about TVs in the bed room. So who gets to do what on the computer at your house??

My DD#3 RaeLynn is 4 and actually the only kid to use the computer at our house so far. Only because she is not in school and never has computer time anywhere else. She gets to go on to NickJr.com and play the games there. DDs #1 and #2 play at school everyday and have only played once at home each, because that is the only time they ever asked. Also I think it has a lot to do with location of our computer... it is in our office down the hall from the toy room, but it is locked unless Dh or I are in the room (ammunition and gun parts... okay they would have to be a gun technician to actually get one together, but still it is locked :D ) I am sure if the computer was in the toy room or living room it would be a different story.

NEXT...

2. dtlyme

dtlyme Well-Known Member

It's not an issue here yet - but I know that I always read about how you should keep a desktop in a centralized place like the living room/family room so that you can keep on eye on things.

So scary what our kids will have to deal with that we didn't! aahhh!

3. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting the spinoff - I mentioned it but never got around to actually doing it!

DH and I have debated this topic to death and still don't have an answer. Logistically, we like the idea of everyone in the house having their own laptops, with one central printer/scanner etc. that we can dock to when needed. This is how DH and I do it now.

But it also really scares me to think of what the kids can get into online if we're not able to see what they're doing. To see what they're doing, we need a centralized desktop, or rules about when and where they can use their laptops (which really defeat the whole flexibility of having laptops in the first place).

We have a few years before this will become an issue for us, so I'm really curious to see what people whose kids are already into computers have done.

4. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

Our desktop is in the den. DS2 recently bought his own laptop. His is wireless, using our router. At 9 p.m., the router goes off, so no more internet access. He is not allowed to be behind closed doors with his computer. At the moment DS2 is all geek, and more interested in gaming than some of the, ahem, less savory internet options. DS1 has sneaked onto ours in the middle of the night once or twice, but he didn't cover his tracks well at all and we hashed all that out. The mouse comes in with us at night now, just in case. (DS2 will be 14 in July; DS1 is 16.)

The girls don't really use the computer yet. They are 5.

5. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I think that once we get to the age where this is an issue we will have ample software in place to protect them and ourselves. I think the looking over the shoulder method is fine but I think it can lead to trust issues.

6. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Right now, the only working desktop is in my office, and the boys are allowed to use it. They play computer games or go to kids websites. They are pretty good on the computer.

7. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

We dont have that problem yet, but our computer is in the dining room, out in the open so everything can be easily monitored.

8. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

We have a desktop for the kids which is in our fireplace room. This is open to the living room & dining room. I can always see who is on the computer. DH & I both have laptops, but the kids do not use them.

All our kids can use their computer, but we are very aware of what they do and for how long.

9. Cindy H

Cindy H Well-Known Member

My oldest who is 9 is computer addicted. Our computer is in the upstairs game room. We have picked websites that they can play on....only ones on the faves list are allowed. They have all been prescreened by me. We also set a 30 min time limit. That worked better when the timer worked...the kids broke it and I have not gotten a new one. It was easy when we had soccer 3 days a week to keep a limit on the time, but soccer just ended so I need a new timer.

I have a set on rules posted above the computer on internet use. Like never using your real name, do not give phone #, address or even your school name. We actaully have not had to worry yet... my kids do not do chat rooms yet, but it is aroudn the corner.

We actually had to set the rules after my 4 year old son bought a webkins online at Target before Christmas....I was Shocked. I learned that target keeps your payment info...I had just ordered something the week before. I foudn out how to change the acct at target so my payment info is not there anymore. But needless to say we had a BIG talk aroudn here. The older 2 kids watched or helped my 4 year old buy this online so they got in trouble too because NOBODY told me! They should have stopped him or come told me. The things you learn from your kids.

Cindy

10. ehm

ehm Banned

Computer is in the dining room (always has been, has nothing to do with visibility etc just the only place to have it). The children can use it to play games here in the arcade and playhouse disney they just have to ask first. I don't put a time limit because they don't abuse the privilege. I will have no problem setting a limit if that changes though.

11. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

Our time-limit policy is: no computer until all chores/homework are done. If you have an A average at school, you may set your own time limit. Otherwise, we will set it. The lower your grades, the shorter it will be. Also, I have automatic "first dibs" on the family computer, so if I need it, it's my turn. DS1 is a lot less interested in computers. He has a myspace (set to private), and he likes martial arts videos on youtube.

I gotta say, it's great to have a geek around. Now that DS2 is the GeekSquad, I just have him install things/repair things, etc.

12. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

QUOTE(FirstTimeMom814 @ Mar 26 2008, 06:10 PM) [snapback]688909[/snapback]
    I think that once we get to the age where this is an issue we will have ample software in place to protect them and ourselves. I think the looking over the shoulder method is fine but I think it can lead to trust issues.

Software is fine as long as you are certain that you know more about computers than they do. My DH was a "hobby hacker" (Hacking just to prove he could, not to destroy or steal) in high school and laughs at those "protection" software programs. He says that anyone with any desire to do so can easily learn to hack them. I won't be putting my trust in them.

Besides, if they know we are watching, where do the trust issues come from? It isn't as much about what they are knowingly doing wrong as what they are getting caught up in. The could be having what seems to them like an innocent chat. But, to an adult, it can be obvious that there is more going on.

When the time comes, they will have computer access in the common areas only. Better safe than sorry. But, for now, the only computer time they get is sitting on my lap and playing games or typing in Word at my mom's house.

13. Angelasbabes

Angelasbabes Well-Known Member

My dd is 11, 6th grade and she had her own computer at age 5 - mainly for computer games and the like. This year we allowed her to be on the internet (she's in middle school, have to chat with the other girls that are on the computer! LOL)

We have the computers in the formal dining room, which we use as a computer room/study. It's in my eye-reach and I don't have to worry about what she's online doing, I can pop in at any time without being known.

My boys are almost 4 and they aren't allowed on the computer. No reason.

At this time in my/their lives, the computers will remain where I can see them, and not allowed in the bedrooms.