Older Kids and Booster Seats

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by heathernd, Mar 1, 2007.

1. heathernd

heathernd Well-Known Member

My boys are 5 years old and the law here in Virginia is 4' 9" and 80 pounds. At the rate my kids are growing they'll have to take their own booster seats to the DMV when they apply for their driver's license. Jaydon is currently 33 pounds and 42 inches tall, Jackson is bigger at 38 pounds and 43 inches tall.

Did any of you have kids that stayed in a booster seat for a long time? If so, how old were your kids when they met the safety requirements of your state?

I should probably add that 4' 9" is almost "full grown" in my view. I am the tallest female in my family and I am only 5' 0". My DH is short too at 5' 7".

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Here in NJ it is 56" (4'8"), 80 lbs. OR 8 years old. So kids are basically in up here until they hit 8--although Jon is so tall, he may be out of one sooner. A police officer told me that the height is the most important factor because of how the shoulder belt fits. Marcus is the same size as Jackson.

3. momofangels

momofangels Well-Known Member

In an article asking parents if they've allowed their children to stop using a booster seat before they should have, it said something to the effect that the part of the belt that crosses the chest should NOT be resting on the neck instead. That belt should be squarely over the chest (try to imagine if it would be an effective restraint in a crash). The article also said that if the parent is unsure, they could ask at a fire station, etc. My ped. also said that if their legs stick straight out in front of them, they're not tall enough to ride without a booster. Hope that helps.
    I think part of the problem might be that children are reluctant to use boosters if they see their friends not using them, or if they think they're too old or too "cool" to need them. You have to decide for them; if their height/weight make the decision unclear, it's a balance between safety and their "coolness".

4. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

My DD is nearing 7 and is still in a booster most of the time. She is finally hitting 50lbs, but she is really tall (her size 8 pants are just the right length for her). I think she will have to come out of her seat soon as the belt is starting to come across her arm instead of her shoulder.

5. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

My son Jackson has consistently been the tallest kid in his class, 90+ % in height at checkups, and it still took him until age 8 to hit the 4'9" limit. I kept him in the booster until he reached that height.

6. Tripsmommy

Tripsmommy Well-Known Member

My boys are nearly 7, but not too tall either. They weigh about 47 lbs. About avg in their class, but we are a short family like you and DH. They are still in the high back boosters and don't seem to care. They know that they can see better out the window if they are in them. I help w/ carpool time at our school and have noticed alot of "bigger kids" still using something.

7. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Melody will be 9 in May and is still sitting in a booster. She is 4ft 1 inch and about 52lbs. None of her friends still sit in a booster. She protests but I'm keeping her in it for awhile. Our van has headrests so I did let her switch to a backless booster.

Julie