OMG, I know why he was waking up at night - hair torniquette!!!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by kendraplus2, Mar 4, 2007.

1. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

Poor baby!!!!!!!! Since Thursday night something was up with Chase, he would only sleep about an hour or two at night before waking up crying, and I was wondering what was up with him ... well, this morning I had him on the changing table and he was fussing which was unusual for him, he loves the changing table, and I went to pull fuzz out from his toes and there was a thread wrapped around two of his toes!!! [​IMG] It was so tightly wrapped that it was embedded in his skin, we had to use clippers to cut the thread and tweezers to get all of it off, and under his little toesies is all raw and open from the thread [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I feel so terrible!!! He stayed at my parents the night before last and was up crying all night over there, they didn't see the thread, and I didn't see it last night, and when I think of all the times I just put a pacifier in his mouth and tried to sooth him back to sleep or got mad because he was constantly up and there he was, in pain and momma didn't realize it ... [​IMG]

Poor kiddo ... the doc said to keep an eye on it for any signs of infection. [​IMG]

2. cclott

cclott Well-Known Member

Poor thing!! I have heard of this happening quite often actually. I shed so much that I always keep an eye out for somehing like this!! I'm glad his little toes are alright! And don't beat yourself up! It could happen to anyone!!!

3. Ruth K.

Ruth K. Well-Known Member

This happened to us. We had friends over, and the mom and both daughters have long hair. Next night, Matt was really fussy. At bath time, I found hair wrapped around his finger so tight it had cut into his skin. I had to take him to DH and the paramedic in the station got it off but it indeed had cut into his skin, plus it took 2 men to hold the baby down because it hurt really bad to pull the hair up enough to clip it.

4. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

Oh, doesn't that just break your heart?! Poor baby...and poor mama...I'm sure that hurt you even more than it hurt him! Glad it's resolved. I will definitely remember that a little bit down the road when I've got a "fussy" baby.

Reyna

5. Brockgirl

Brockgirl Well-Known Member

We had that happen too with a hair on my daughter's toe! However, we didn't find it in time and ended up having to go to the emergency room as our pediatrician couldn't get it off. It took three doctors to get it off. They said to watch toes, fingers, and boy parts...for those of you with sons. Makes you feel so bad!

6. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

Man, of all the things you think about or worry about, a thread getting tied around their toe was NOT on my list ... poor kiddos! Who knew it was so common ... it was actually a thread, like from clothing, not a hair but they still call it a hair tourniquette. He's going to the doc later this afternoon because he still seems in pain and the toes are still red and raw looking. [​IMG]

7. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

This happened several times to us(probably because me, my mom and my sis have long hair). I was glad that I was at my parents at the time because I'd of had to take them to the e-room if I'd been alone because I would have been scared to remove it on my own.

8. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

Poor baby! I would never even think to check! I'm glad you found it!

9. twinboymomma

twinboymomma Well-Known Member

This happened to us as well and we took DS to the emergency because we didn't think we got the hair. His poor toes were purple and it was so deep it cut into his skin.
    I never had heard of it before so never thought to check it, but after it happened, I check their toes, fingers and boy parts every time I change them.

10. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

[​IMG] That's so sad!!! [​IMG] I know of many that it has happened to! It's hard to catch! Good idea to check their little man parts from time to time too! It can get hair wrapped there too. I checked my little man frequently because of someone on the FY had the same thing happen!!

11. TeeandGee

TeeandGee Well-Known Member

Poor little guy. I have heard of this happening before so now I always check our girls' fingers & toes - especially now that I am shedding so much!

12. boogerkw

boogerkw Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago Riley was up like every half hour screaming, nothing would calm her down. I mean I fed her, held her and walked with her nothing would work. So I got mad and I yelled, I felt so bad but it was 3am and I was so tired. I was up from 2am till I had to go to work at 6:30am. I took her into the doctors and she had a double ear infection. I felt so bad for yelling at her, I felt like the worse Mom in the world.

13. kristie75

kristie75 Well-Known Member

I wonder how that happens? I understand a hair or thread getting stuck but I wonder how it wraps around so tightly? It's just one of those mysteries!

14. Cindy123

Cindy123 Well-Known Member

Oh, poor little guy! I've read about that happening on this board, so I check whenever we have a diaper change--I shed so much I'm about bald now.
    I think it gets wrapped so tight because those little toes never stop moving!

15. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

Poor guy! Owie! I hope his toe heals soon! [​IMG]