omg they're so bored

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by ddancerd1, Sep 11, 2012.

1. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

i haven't signed the girls up for school (preschool... they missed the kinder cut off), cuz we're moving to NJ. we're supposed to move by the end of this month. HOWEVER, there's a chance we may not go till november!!! (finding a house/rental has been difficult). i signed the girls up for tennis (once a week), and i do "school" with them at home (letters, numbers, shapes, reading, etc etc)...we do crafts, there are no story times in teh area yet, i can't keep taking them to museums cuz it's expensive... i'm so tempted to sign them up for dance here (even if just for a month)... they are bored out of their minds!!! there's only so much i can do with them, they are sick of each other, and me, and being stuck at home. they're asking about school and dance class... what would you all do?
    here's the thing: we'll know by this weekend if we're (the girls and i) are moving to NJ in october or november. if it gets postponed to november, would you just sign them up for various activities? seriously, we're all driving each ohter NUTS! they need to be around other kids!!!

2. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd say once you find out what the plan is for the next few months you should sign them up for activities that are either free or where you pay month by month or week by week etc.
    Are there any walking trails where you can go on hikes and learn about nature, collect leaves and do projects with them. Maybe just switch up the 'school' stuff to science education to peak their interest? Hands on can be really beneficial at this age.

1 person likes this.
  3. ddancerd1

yeah, i think i will be looking into month-month payment activities. also, i do that stuff occasionally, but i really think they are just so sick of having just each other and me... they are fighting and bickering and constantly saying, "i need alone time!" lol

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Definitely spend more time outdoors. Go for walks with a list of things they have to get (independently, like you have to get 12 acorns today and 3 brown leaves), go to the park for just play time, go to the library for books twice a week.

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Do you have family around that would do a special day with each girl every week 1:1? We don't have family around yet so DH & I do this at night or weekends with the boys.

6. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If your girls took dance last year, i would contact the old dance studio (if you are still close to it, i'm pretty sure you said you moved in with your parents) and see if they will let you pay by class or by month.

I know you said that museums are expensive, but have you looked into purchasing a family pass to the local museum or zoo. I would check into what museums it is also good at since if you can find one that is good at museums in NJ near where you are moving you will get more use out of it. A lot of time you just need to go 2 or 3 times for the pass to pay for it self.

7. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Where in NJ are you moving? I'm currently in PA, but lived most of my life in NJ.

8. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Don't forget your bug spray if you go out!

9. ddancerd1

thanks, guys! we are looking at the towns closest to NYC (ridgefield, cliffside park, etc).. dh works in NYC.
    i take them out after dinner to play and go for walks, bike rides, bubbles, etc. but maybe i should take advantage of the nature center (free admission) more, especially now that fall is approaching.. will that really help them not be so "sick of" each other and me? lol

10. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I would look in to the museums and see if they have reciprocal agreements. Buy for the city you are moving to and use it now on a reciprocal agreement. When we moved to IA (and back again) we used our Michigan zoo and science center passes to get into the the IA zoo and science museums for free for 3 months after we moved- then we bought IA passes. When we moved back to MI we used the IA passes until they expired and we bought MI ones again....does that make sense??

I would try to set a schedule to help reduce the 'crazies'. For example:

Mon- library and park
    Tues- special secret location (change it up-- haha my girls like to go to the pet store!) and dollar store for one $1 item
    Wed. pajama day watch movie and hang out in jammies
    Thursday- nature center and game night
    Fri- bowling or 'spa' day (hahah my girls love to paint their toes and 'do' my hair)

etc.... The slight structure will help keep things manageable until you move. HAve the girls help you pack (mine loved to draw/write/decorate) moving boxes once they were full.

Schedule some playdates if you can too- they may be worried they will miss their friends.

I ,too, would try to get in a few classes if you think you will be at the same location for at least two or three more months. Maybe a family swim pass? A month of free gym passes at the gymnastics center? A month long pass at an indoor play place.

Our area has a few one day events at places like Michaels, Joann fabrics, zoo, humane society, nature center, library, etc that would be good to do to have some things that are fun, educational, and break up the days!

3 people like this.
  11. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think just getting out and about and in a different environment helps so much!! That's what we have to do when everyone is getting crazy and whining on the weekends, we load up and go for a hike or we walk around the zoo or go on a bike ride...we just have to get out and change the scenery. It always helps!!

12. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't know how close you are to a Barnes and Noble but the ones around here have story time 2x a week. That might be an option. Do the local libraries offer any type of activities for the children?

13. ddancerd1

thanks for all the ideas, people! all the libraries surrounding this town don't have any storytimes till next month (booo). i'm looking up michael's, hobby lobby, joanne fabrics, etc for kids' activities. i'm also gonna look into the museum memberships, and how i can transfer them... thanks again!