One twin ready to go to 1 nap and the other isn't

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ADana3779, Jun 3, 2013.

1. ADana3779

ADana3779 New Member

My girls are 16 months. I'm trying to switch them to 1 nap but it's been an epic failure so far. They get up 645ish and bedtime is 7-715. They usually both meltdown around 9 but I can hold them off until 10. Ideally they'll sleep 2 hours and then do another quick (20-30 min) catnap late in the afternoon, but lately they're refusing that last nap.

My plan originally was to push the morning nap back by 15 mins every 3-4 days, but they can barely make it to 10 still and this is the 4th day of doing it.

Today, I put them down at 10. One, A, slept for 45 mins (I think she was overtired) and the other, E, is still sleeping (almost 2 hrs). If I put them both down earlier, the one that's ready to switch, E, will only sleep 60-90 mins and refuse her second nap but the other one, A, will sleep 2 hrs.

I'm incredibly frustrated. I'm thinking A isn't ready but I can't have them on different nap schedules. Advice please!!

2. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

I am with you on the epic failure attempt to switch to one nap! (see previous post)

Just a note: it was also day 4 of my attempts, when i knew for sure it wasn't working!

I hate transitions! It was so nice knowing what was going to happen, when, and not having to second guess sleep. Well, here we are again.. guessing. I wonder if this will work today?

What i have done, which seems to be working for the moment is-
    Stay with two naps but keep the morning nap short. I wake them after they have been sleeping for one hour. I think DD is just about ready to switch. For her, sometimes, if she had a really good night (13 hours) I will wake her at 45 minutes.

if i get them down AT 9:00 (not later!) and control wake up time, they will nap in the afternoon. sometimes they complain but so far they always fall asleep and sleep for 1 to 1.5 hours. A few times they have slept 2 hours but that messes up bed time.

I am not sure where we go from here. I am waiting to see what they do. As long as it is working we will continue. My plan is, if they start rejecting afternoon nap again i will to continue to shorten morning nap. OR If they reject morning nap i will try again for one nap, hopefully keeping them up until 11:00 the first day and moving the time back.

The other thing that seems to be helping is moving bed time earlier. When we were trying to recover from the failed change i put them down 30 to 45 minutes early. Now that they are doing better with sleep i am still putting them down 15 minutes earlier than normal bed time. I tried to move it back to regular time and sleep started to fall apart again. I don't know why they need more night sleep now. the total hours day sleep is the same as it was before things got crazy. Anyway, for now we are hanging in there.

don't know any if these ideas will help.
    I think this is my least favorite transition (or maybe i just forgot how yucky the others were).
    Hope you figure out what works for your girls.

3. ADana3779

ADana3779 New Member

Don't know where my other post went, but thanks for the empathy! It's nice to know that someone else is having the same problem! What time do you put them down in the afternoon? My theory right now is that after 2 weeks of me messing with their naps, I'm giving them a few days to do whatever they want napwise. After that, I'll try sshortening the morning nap. Thanks for the idea!

4. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

1:00

GL!