One's sick, should I send the other?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by nurseandrea02, Sep 20, 2009.

1. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

My boys started a new daycare about 3 weeks ago. The transition is going fairly well, more so with Aiden than with Conner. They attend 2-3 days per week (after I work a night shift), so they're only part time.

Conner is sick right now. Some nasty virus with a high fever & sore throat (no strep, no swine flu, no ear infection...whew!). Because of his fever, he can't go to daycare until it's been gone for 24 hours...which means he can't go tomorrow.

My question is, should I still send Aiden? We don't separate the boys very often, but I think Aiden really would enjoy being there versus stuck home (and inside) with Conner & I. Plus, I work tonight & tomorrow night, so I need any rest I can get, which I will get more of with just Conner at home. Drop off would be hard for both of them, I'm sure, but I'm hoping they'd adjust quickly.

What do you think? Keep them both home or just send Aiden? Hopefully Conner will be fever free tomorrow & they BOTH can go Tuesday!

2. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would send Aiden. He is not sick and will have fun playing with his friends. Then you can concentrate on Conner and both of you can get some rest.

3. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I always send one when the other is sick...the worst that can happen is the other one gets sick and you have to go get them...

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Let me ask you this, if they were different ages, would you even ask the question?

I have always sent the healthy one to school and kept the sick one home. It also lets the sick one rest without being bothered by the healthy one because he is "bored"

5. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I'd send him!

6. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ladies! My gut instinct was to send him, but I had some reservations. You've eased my worries...thanks!!!

7. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I just did this today!

One is at school and the other at home due to illness.... I also try to look at it as ' if they were different ages- would I keep them both home....no". SO off one goes if the other is sick.

8. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

Yep, I always send the okay one and keep the sick one home.

9. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

If one is feeling bad then I send the well one. The sick one gets my full attention but also seems to nap more and I can get in some work time from home. This works well too if I need the rest! If he's feeling fine (and just can't go back to daycare that day because of the 24 hour rule) sometimes I keep both home and we do something fun.

10. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I never keep a well child home from daycare, for so many reasons: It's so much easier to take care of just one child (especially one who's sick) rather than two. The well one is more likely to get sick, the more time she spends with the sick one. The well one (though she will often beg and plead to stay home) would actually have more fun in school. And the sick one will feel much better if she gets more mommy time all to herself.

11. bkpjlp

bkpjlp Well-Known Member

I've done both. It's a nice break for you and time for your one twin to have one-to-one time iwth Mom. But, if the weather is cruddy (-30 degree temps), I've kept all of them home so I didn't have to go out in the conditions.

12. juliereynolds42

juliereynolds42 Well-Known Member

I've done both too.

If the sick child is really feeling cruddy and just wants to sleep then the healthy one goest to school.

If the sick child feels fairly healthy and is energetic but can't go to daycare because of a rash or a mild fever then the healthy one stays home to help entertain the sick one.

13. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I'm jumping in late, but I'd definitely send Aiden. I just posted something about my kids having colds, and if I end up keeping Kevan home because his nose is running too much, I'm definitely not keeping Karina home if she doesn't have that issue.

We separate the kids all the time because Kevan goes to a lot of therapy sessions, but they've never been apart at school. I'm not sure how they would do at this point, but they have to adjust some time...

My only caveat would be puking illnesses. We've had several stomach bugs go through our house, and last spring, I kept Nadia home from school one day when the rest of us had spent the entire weekend throwing up. I was positive she was going to get it -- and sure enough, she started throwing up that morning, so I was glad I'd kept her home!