Only one more growth scan of ID twins in final 5 weeks?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by linz, May 19, 2009.

1. linz

linz Well-Known Member

I just had an OB appt yesterday which went very well. I am 31 weeks 6 days with ID twins and they are measuring 3.6 lbs and 3.75 lbs. I am now seeing my OB weekly, but she said yesterday we will have one more ultrasound at 35 weeks and if they still look good that will be it until I go into labor or have a scheduled procedure at 37 weeks. It has been nagging at me whether or not they are being monitored closely enough here at the end?

How will she know their fluid levels are ok? And what about sudden onset of TTTS? and IUGR? I asked her and she said that if they look good at 35 weeks like they have this whole time there is no reason to keep looking.

If you are in the third trimester, what is your OB doing? I do not see a peri.

2. oh-baby-baby

oh-baby-baby Well-Known Member

I havn't seen my peri since he and my OB had a "disagreement" :lol:

I had my last growth scan at 31.5 weeks and was going to have another at 36 weeks. But since I'm being induced at 35 weeks due to my aging placenta I'll have to wait til their born to see their weight.

I have been having BPP's weekly since 25weeks and that's how the calcium was discoved on my placenta.

Maybe they should be doing BPP/NST's since you do have ID's...

3. kacy79

kacy79 Active Member

Are yours sharing a placenta? a sack? I have fraternals and am monitored for growth every 4 weeks. My son is not growing as fast as my daughter, so I am being sent for a high risk ultrasound. The equipment at my OB sucks. I am 32 weeks and without the recent developments only have growth scans every 4 weeks.

4. linz

linz Well-Known Member

QUOTE(kacy79 @ May 19 2009, 10:23 AM) [snapback]1319645[/snapback]
    Are yours sharing a placenta? a sack? I have fraternals and am monitored for growth every 4 weeks. My son is not growing as fast as my daughter, so I am being sent for a high risk ultrasound. The equipment at my OB sucks. I am 32 weeks and without the recent developments only have growth scans every 4 weeks.

Yes, they are sharing a placenta. They are mono/di. How will they know the placenta is not deteriorating? She just told me anything that was going to happen would show up on the 35 weeks scan.....

5. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

That seems strange to me. Did your OB say anything about biophysical profiles (BPP)? My boys don't share a placenta, but the protocol for maternal fetal medicine here is a growth scans every 3 weeks until 32 weeks and then starting at 32 weeks you go for a weekly ultrasound to do a BPP. They check for sufficient fluid, heartrate, practice breaths, and flexion/extension. Every third week they also do a growth check. If any problems are found, then they do a NST.

6. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(linz @ May 19 2009, 10:24 AM) [snapback]1319540[/snapback]
    I just had an OB appt yesterday which went very well. I am 31 weeks 6 days with ID twins and they are measuring 3.6 lbs and 3.75 lbs. I am now seeing my OB weekly, but she said yesterday we will have one more ultrasound at 35 weeks and if they still look good that will be it until I go into labor or have a scheduled procedure at 37 weeks. It has been nagging at me whether or not they are being monitored closely enough here at the end?

How will she know their fluid levels are ok? And what about sudden onset of TTTS? and IUGR? I asked her and she said that if they look good at 35 weeks like they have this whole time there is no reason to keep looking.

If you are in the third trimester, what is your OB doing? I do not see a peri.

My boys were taken out at 34 weeks and 5 days because the placenta was getting old. This can happen in id pregnancies and they think it could be the reason for some unexplained late term intrauterine death. For that reason I would at least demand weekly nst's.

7. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

my last ultrasoudn was at 34 weeks but I had weekly NST's. I think I would push for NSTs for sure!

8. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

I had u/s with the peri every 2 weeks right up the end of my pg. I would push for at least one more u/s if since they're mono/di. TTTS can occur very late in pg and while there's nothing they'd do but deliver the babies it is something they should be monitoring. At least that's my opinion. Good luck.

9. Little June Bug

Little June Bug Well-Known Member

We were doing growth scans every 2 weeks up until 2 weeks ago (at 33 weeks) and now it's every week for the biophysical profiles until babies are born. They are di-di and and currently approx 6lbs each.

10. Kaelan

Kaelan Well-Known Member

i have mono/di boys and thier last growth scan was at 31 weeks. My peri said that by that time they are pretty much completely out of the woods as far as developing TTTS goes, and my boys were already close to 4 lbs. He did continue to do quick u/s at every visit to find the heartbeats, but the measuring of fluid was done when i had my NSTs twice a week after 35 weeks.

Kenneth and Ian were born at 38.2 weeks
    6.14 lbs and 8.4 lbs

11. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(indisbelief @ May 20 2009, 10:14 AM) [snapback]1321222[/snapback]
    i have mono/di boys and thier last growth scan was at 31 weeks. My peri said that by that time they are pretty much completely out of the woods as far as developing TTTS goes, and my boys were already close to 4 lbs. He did continue to do quick u/s at every visit to find the heartbeats, but the measuring of fluid was done when i had my NSTs twice a week after 35 weeks.
    Kenneth and Ian were born at 38.2 weeks
    6.14 lbs and 8.4 lbs

It makes me mad when peri's give a time when you are out of the woods for tttts. It's simply not true. TTTS can occur very late and has been suspected in some late term deaths.

12. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

Just got home from my OB and she told me that starting at 32 weeks I would be seeing her twice a week. One day I would have a NST and another day would be an ultrasound and growth scan. I go to my peri next week, which should be my last time to see her since everything looks good.

13. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TandC @ May 20 2009, 11:58 AM) [snapback]1321400[/snapback]
    It makes me mad when peri's give a time when you are out of the woods for tttts. It's simply not true. TTTS can occur very late and has been suspected in some late term deaths.

I agree. I had an u/s with the peri at 34 weeks and everything looked great. They were delivered almost 2 weeks later (one day shy of my next scheduled u/s) and one was VERY pale and one was VERY red. The pediatrician believes this is due to them having developed TTTS in those final days. They did a blood test that confirmed my pale baby had a lower than normal red blood cell count and my red baby's count was higher than normal. Things have worked out just fine, but I think it's irresponsible to say that any mono/di pg is ever out of the woods for TTTS because it's just not true.

14. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I don't know, I had frats but I will say that if you are questioning this, call your doc. you deserve to understand his choices and to hear it directly from him. That way you can ask questions. I think your question is a reasonable one and you deserve an answer from your doctor. you are your own advocate as well as an advocate for your children.

15. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

Maybe it is just a terminology thing? I think my last "growth ultrasound" was scheduled for 34 weeks. I started weekly BPPs/NSTs after that where we saw them on ultrasound and all their vital stats were checked. So technically no more measurement ultrasounds where they tell you the weight and all that great stuff, but I still got to see them and was reassured that everything looked good up until the very end.

Is your OB or peri planning BPPs or NSTs?

16. linz

linz Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your replies. I don't think it is a terminology thing. I think she is saying only one more u/s from here on out, and no plans for NST or BBPs. That doesn't sound right does it? I go back to see her on Tuesday, and I think I am going to tell her I am not at all comfortable with her plan. It does seem like she should at least be checking fluid levels or something! Anyway, it helps to see what you all are having b/c that affirms my feeling that this plan is just not right.