Opposite sleep schedules (and fussy times)

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Amycplus, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

So we are almost six weeks into the game and one baby has reoriented his days/nights successfully and the other hasn't. For us, that means one baby fusses during the day and sleeps beautifully at night while the other cries and is very tough to settle at night. One the one hand, it means we generally have only one fussy baby to deal with at a time (except for those wonderful times when both seem to feed off each other :)). On the other hand, the 24 hour challenge is wearing us down. Is this just life with twins and I should get over it or is there anything we can do? Any suggestions for helping my night owl get interested in the daytime more and for helping him settle without being held for lengthy periods of time (which is okay during the day but exhausting at 4:00 am) would be appreciated.

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My kids never had the whole day/night messed up.. they just throught it was day all 24 hours long. :headbang: BUT.. I did have a time when they were on alternating schedules duirng the day for naps and although it was nice when I could just deal with one baby, it was hard having no breaks. Make sure during the day that the lights are on and you look them in the eyes and play with them. Nighttime, do not look in their eyes, be real quiet and try to be 'matter-of-fact' get the job done and back to bed. :hug: I hope that one schedule changes around fast!

3. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This ^ I never had them switched with night/day schedules either but did have the napping alternating throughout the day! Its tough, but its not life with twins:) Pretty soon you'll be in the Second Year saying "What just happened?!" LOL:) Take it day by day, they are still so little and schedules with change multiple times through the first year! :hug:

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

6 weeks was the hardest time for me since they've been born. :hug: everything after that was downhill. Mine did mix up days and nights and in order to get some sleep I let them sleep in bouncies and swings in our walk in closet with the light on. :laughing: it's kind of funny what new parents will do for sleep. But at the time I did NOT care as long as they slept. I promise you it will get easier. :hug:

5. mamita

mamita Well-Known Member

*Bump* I'm right there with you (ours are 6 weeks old as of yesterday) and am hoping to hear some more tips on this issue!

Michelle, you mention letting yours sleep in their swing/bouncie, did you do that during the night? I was contemplating that last night, for the sake of some decent sleep! I was worried about how long I could let them sleep in them though.

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup! They rarely (twice, maybe) slept in their cribs before we figured out they were much happier sleeping in bouncies and swings. Our swings wouldn't fit in the closet so they did bouncies in there, swings in our room. There were a few nights that DH and I slept with a pillow blocking the light from our faces with the overhead light on. It didn't take Lon and as soon as I could manage it (a few nights- maybe a week) I started moving the bouncies out of the closet with the light, giving them less and less light to sleep with until finally they slept in the dark like they do today.