Organic Milk or not? what % milk fat?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by smiley7, Jan 1, 2011.

1. smiley7

smiley7 Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies,

Noah and Sophie seem to be transitionning to cow's milk very well and GUESS what??? Sophie can sip her sippy cup (FINALLY!!!). I still have to hold it for her but gosh darn it, she can sip :woohoo:

I have been giving them regular full fat milk that is 3.25% milk fat. I am totally fine with that however I was at the store yesterday and noticed some of the organic milk was 3.8% fat. That seems kind of high. Just wanted to know what everyone else did?

Is organic milk worth it? What benefits do you see over the regular? and % fat...is it necessary to higher than 3.25%?

Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

2. Kludelhoven

Kludelhoven Well-Known Member

I can't help you to much but we are using organic milk. We always have drank it at our house and I just feel better about giving them organic milk. But then again I feed them things like pizza and hotdogs so i'm sure giving them regular milk is fine! We are giving 2% right now, DS is fine with whole milk but DD has some tummy trouble on whole milk, maybe in a month or two we can try whole milk again. I never looked at the milk fat difference before, i'm interested to hear what people say.

3. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

I think that the higher the fat content the harder it may be to digest depending on their little tummies. My first son used to drink 3% and he loved his milk so much that he filled up on it instead of food. My boys have always had problems with digesting their milk and their dietician told me that giving them 1% would be just fine as long as I made up for it with healthly fats in their meals.Our dietician said that he put his kids straight on to 1% and they were healthy kids with no digesting problems because he felt he could give healthier fats in their food. I was a little surprised by this because our public health nurses alway push for starting on whole milk. Neither boys could tolerate or drink 3% or 2% so one has been on 1% for the last year and the other is still on allimentum. We just drink regular milk because we live in a small town and we would have to drive one hour for organci and therefore it makes it pretty unrealistic for us. If organic milk was readily available and not terrible expensive I think we would go for it.

4. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

W00t, w00t!! :yahoo: Way to go, Sophie! :D

I do buy organic milk. It's quite a bit more expensive, but I like the fact that it is produced in a more sustainable manner, and has less pesticides and hormones in the manufacturing process. I would love to feed my guys more organic or locally grown foods, but they are hard to find in my area, and are often of terrible quality. Organic milk is easy for me, so that's my compromise. :)

I would ask the ped what he/she recommends as far as fat %. I believe most peds recommend whole milk after 12 months and possibly moving to 2% or something lower fat at 2 years. My guys are pretty lean, so at their 2 year WBV my ped said I could leave them on whole milk if I wanted, though it wasn't necessary. I decided to keep them on whole for a while longer because the fat is good for their brain development, and I tend to cook fairly low-fat meals for the family, so I figure they could use the extra fat in their diet.

Hope this helps! :)

5. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

I've never seen both 3.25 and 3.8% available! Around here, whole milk is 4% milkfat. Unless the child has a problem with handling it, whole milk is recommended until age 2 because the brain doesn't finish developing until then and they need the fat to make myelin. Sure, you can ideally add healthy fats in foods, but how many 1-2 year olds are willing to eat enough salmon, tuna, nuts, etc to get what they need?!? I know I offer all the healthy stuff and then struggle to get fish sticks and goldfish crackers down my two!

As for organic I think that is a personal choice. We live in a small town and don't have a whole lot available so I don't buy any organic unless I'm taking a trip to trader joes (an hour and a half from me). I have a problem with paying over double for foods. I figure that I ate non-organic foods and turned out ok so I'm sure my kids will too!

6. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We buy organic as much as possible because of the antibiotics and hormones used. I also find organic tastes better. But, if it's not available, then no big deal either. Definitely go for the full fat; it's a great way for your kids to get their fat requirements like slugrad noted. We also feed our kids avacadoes and fish etc, but they don't eat it as reliably as milk, yogurt and cheese. We also use a little extra olive oil in most of their food to keep their good fats up :)

7. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Congrats on the your children making the switch. We only purchase organic if hormone free milk is not available. Many grocers around here (trader joes included) have hormone free milk that is not organic. We opt for that since we go through 3 gallons (on average) a week.

8. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I don't like milk at all, however my DH claims that organic tastes much better. We buy organic when we have a little extra money in the budget. My girls definitely drink it better.

9. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

I started buying organic whole milk when our boys turned 1. Where I live there is always a brand of organic milk that is $2.99 per half gallon (and many times they have some on sale for $2.50 per half gallon). Considering our boys only go through little more than 2 half gallons a week that means I spend about $7 a week for their milk, which is a whole lot less than what I spent on formula! :) So its worth it to me. Also, I've always tried to keep 1% milk on hand for DH and I, however, we were constantly having to throw milk out once it hit its expiration date. I realized that organic milk has a much longer expiration date due to its pasteurization process, so we have since switched to 1% organic milk because in the long run it actually saves us money because we don't have to throw it out after a week. As far as the fat content of the organic whole milk...I honest have never looked at our cartons, but I just assumed it was 4%. And even though both our boys had horrible tummy problems in the first year (I attributed that to their prematurity) both are able to digest whole milk fine.

10. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

Basically I watched Food, Inc. and it pretty much changed the way I buy groceries. Our milk is a delivery and it is not organic, but hormone free local. I try to buy organic foods locally when possible but I only try to buy what is on sale and create menus accordingly. It really isn't that much more expensive except for certain items but I am in a bigger city. This summer I am going to try really really hard to plant my own garden. I don't know why I don't do this - saves so much money. Anyway, which figure do you look at for fat? I feel dumb. :) I only see 12% daily value beside Fat...I am definitely not looking in the right place. My girls drink 3.5-4 gallons of milk a week between them so it is a little pricey for sure. Spending easily $100/month on milk. But they are tinies who are thriving and it feels good. I also had one with early digestive issues who went to whole milk at 15 months with no issues. After their 2 year pedi appt in March I will probably start cutting the milk back but so far it is not impairing their eating much. Some days they drink more than others - they are very choosy these days.

11. Bestian

Bestian Well-Known Member