Paci's Gone! I feel mean!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by lrothrock1, Nov 30, 2006.

1. lrothrock1

lrothrock1 Well-Known Member

It's been 2 days and nights without their pacifiers. I traded them for toothbrushes. I bought a variety of Elmo, Einstein, etc, and some of the 1st toothpaste for infants, and they like the taste. They like to look through the basket to pick the one or 2 they want to hang on too.

I've been reading alot of the posts that say they took theirs away at age 2. They have adjusted well, only minor protesting. I am feeling really guilty and am thinking of giving them back! Any others had these feelings when you went through this?

Thank You!

2. lrothrock1

It's been 2 days and nights without their pacifiers. I traded them for toothbrushes. I bought a variety of Elmo, Einstein, etc, and some of the 1st toothpaste for infants, and they like the taste. They like to look through the basket to pick the one or 2 they want to hang on too.

I've been reading alot of the posts that say they took theirs away at age 2. They have adjusted well, only minor protesting. I am feeling really guilty and am thinking of giving them back! Any others had these feelings when you went through this?

Thank You!

3. Jersey_Girls

Jersey_Girls Well-Known Member

I did. I took them away at about 2 1/2 and then gave them back because they got sick and they needed the comfort. I then took them away at age 3 because they kept biting holes in them and I was afraid they might choke on a piece in their sleep. We traded them in for bikes!

I really felt badly for a few days and the girls did have a hard time the first week but now it's as if they never existed. Hang in there Mama. Whether you give them back or not you will do what is best for your babies, I am sure!

Good luck!

Lisa

4. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

I felt so guilty too, but now u've done it might be better to stick with it. Used to drive me crazy as they'd wake up becoz it fell out of their mouth or they were looking for it. If they're not majorily affected why bother. Also u'll feel guilty either way haha, that's wot us moms do, and especially double for twins.

Good luck

amanda (jorja and jessica 3 yrs)

5. Jenna30

Jenna30 Well-Known Member

Oh toothbrushes are a great idea! I stay stick with it! You're doing a great job!

Mine still have them, so I have no advice... I'm dreading having to take them away. I fear that we won't sleep for a week!

6. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

DO NOT give them back! It took mine 4-5 days to go back to good naps, etc. They never ask for them anymore other than to say that the babies have them! I think if you give them back you'll never get them away from them! It's great that you've already done it! Good job mom [​IMG]

7. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Oh I understand, and I haven't even taken them away yet. I get sad just thinking about it. I tell the girls that they are still babies because they have binkies and blankets. They are down to just in the crib, car, and I will occasionally take them out for extremely fussy times. I don't know how they will sleep without them. I am waiting until they can understand and we can do something like trading it in for a toy or putting them in a box for the new babies in the world. Hang tough, it's probably best if you don't give them back. [​IMG]

8. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

Love the toothbrush idea! How fun!! Congrats on getting rid of the pacis!

9. lrothrock1

We are on our 3rd day of no pacis, and I'm feeling better. I got them a few new Dr. Seuss, and Sesame street brushes today. They are excited to pick out their brushes. I started putting the starter toothpaste, and they think it's a treat, they say "YUMMMMMM."

Thanks for your support!

10. Jersey_Girls

Jersey_Girls Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Good for you and your big girls! I am so glad you are feeling better. Sounds like you came up with a great plan. You're a great mom.

Thanks for keeping us updated!!!!

Lisa

11. 1385twins

1385twins Well-Known Member

I just took my boys' away on Friday. Friday night and Saturday naps were awful! So bad, I couldn't believe it. But, my husband and I truly threw them away outside in the trash can - so no getting them back. We wanted to make sure that we wouldn't cave.

Mine got little guitars which they were dying for from the "Paci Fairy." She came in the night and then "gave" the pacis to the tiny babies.

I'm very glad they are gone, but we're still a little in trouble. They didn't go down until 2 today and they usually nap around 12:30, but it was better than yesterday when they sobbed for 2 1/2 hours trying to fall asleep. We're also putting them to bed a little late - around 8. My thought is that if they are really tired, they'll fall asleep. I think that by Tues or so, we'll slowly move their nap and night time sleep time earlier and earlier until we're back to normal.

Good luck!