pack and play/co-sleeper help

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Apr 13, 2010.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

my LOs will likely be going to an at=home day care when i return to work.
    what do i get for them to sleep in? we have a co-sleeper right now. should i buy another one? can they sleep in the same pnp or co sleeper?
    whats the most comfortable one they make?

2. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

It is recommended that they not share a bed, and really, I don't see how they could anyway at this age without waking each other. I mean, my TINY 3.5 month adjusted babies barely fit widthwise in the PNPs. They do both sleep in their own PNPs every single night since they have been home. They are the Graco Carecenter (or something like that) ones. These are much better than the $50 Gracos cause they have corner supports that keep the mattress from bouncing around. They are pricey--I think we paid over $100 each, but worth every penny.

We have the Nouvelle pattern, which is quilted (but still firm) and very comfy for them.

Sorry about the rambling....teething going on!

3. newtothis

LOL - its ok, i appreciate it!
    money is not an issue when it comes to their comfort. i will definitely look into 2 of those for them.
    ETA - i am looking for them online now - is there a difference between a regular pnp and the carecenter? i'm having difficulty finding it.

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would buy the cheapest good one you can find. For me that was the graco one. I believe it was $79.99. The only cheaper one was a cosco one that was smaller and built much cheaper.

They are only going to be using it for naps at a babysitter/daycare situation, I wouldn't buy anything too expensive or fancy. Especially since you need to get 2.

5. betha

betha Well-Known Member

This is exactly what we did. We have 2 Graco's and they work great. We use them for travel and my DD still uses hers for naps.
    If you buy them at BRU, make sure you ask for a twins discount.

6. cat mommy

7. newtothis

so is this the one thats the comfiest?
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2844619

or is just the 'regular' graco one?

8. newtothis

does the baby sleep on the bottom mattress? i want a very comfy bottom mattress.

9. cat mommy

Yes, they sleep on the bottom. We have never used the bassinette-it didn't seem very sturdy.

10. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

See and I have used the one you "hated" with all my kids and never had a problem. I don't see how the corners caused your ds to bounce around in it ;)

I can not see spending $200 on something that has the bassinet/changing table/extra's when all you need for 2 nearly 1 yr olds is a basic pack n play.

11. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

I would recommend finding a used one on Craigslist or hit a MOMs Resale or something (I sold my barely used like-new PnP at our MOMs Resale this weekend for $30). I would never consider spending $200 on ONE PnP (much less 2 PnPs) that would be used a few hours a day for about a year or so, but since money isn't a concern then spend away :lol: ;)

12. cat mommy

Well, since the corners weren't tucked under on the cheaper Graco, the mattress pad wasn't tight and every time DS moved, the entire pad bounced up & down--and quite a bit. Not sure if that explanation makes sense...maybe we had a defective one? In any event, we ended up selling it and got most of our money back.

newtothis: the one you are looking at is different than the ones we had, so I can't speak to how good that one is. It does appear to have a lot of extras--we ended up never using any of the extras on the PNPs....they were either not very sturdy or just more trouble than they were worth.

13. JoellePotter

JoellePotter Well-Known Member

Not quite sure why they couldn't just share one. My boys are nearly 9 months old and have absolutely no problem sleeping with each other. We always try to lay them apart from each other and no matter what we do they manage to find their way to one another. One could be screaming or just moving around and the other doesn't wake.

The only time our boys have slept separately is when they were still in isolettes in the NICU, but when they graduated to an open crib, they shared again. The NICU recommended that they continue sharing when they came home. And they have also slept separate when Wyatt had to go back in at a few months for a new hernia surgery. Even then, when daddy brought Riley in every morning he went right up into the crib cage in the hospital and laid w/ his brother. The only time we moved him was when the doctors would come to check on Wyatt's hernia.

I would check w/ your daycare if they have room for 2 pack n plays. And I know that plenty of daycares/in home too offer pack n plays to begin with. I highly suggest checking Craigslist and saving yourselves a bit of money.

14. cat mommy

Your state may require that all babies in daycare have their own sleep area--if you are in one of those states, then sharing won't be an option.

15. newtothis

yes, i didnt think i would need a changing area, etc. the kids will be around 1, lol!!
    i just wanted to make sure they were comfy during the day. :blush:

16. cat mommy

Target has the ones I like for $109 but you can probably find a better deal if you can wait and also shop around on the internet.

pnp

17. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

I provide playpens for the daycare kids to sleep in. Some parents bring their own bedding, one mom put a quilt on the bottom, under the fitted sheet so make the bottom softer so that's always an option too!

18. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

We keep a PnP at my SILs too and I was worried it wouldn't be very comfy, so we took the 3 inch mattress from our minicrib to sit down in the PnP last time we visited her house, and Brandon never stirred all night! So maybe find a used PnP for $30 or so and buy a new $30 minicrib mattress to set down in it??

19. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that some twins can sleep together in a PNP. Mine seemed crowded at 2 months! I guess it depends on whether your LOs are sleeping together in a regular crib or not. As far as the comfort factor goes, they do make quilted puffy covers for the PNP mattresses. We got ours at BBRUS.