Pants brands for skinny kids?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Fran27, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

So my kids' 18 month pants that they were wearing this spring are all 1 inch too short now... the 24m stuff is fine (a bit long but they'll grow into it)... but they keep falling off :( My kids are 2.5 and 24 and 26lb... I know that there are some adjustable waist pants but they're expensive and I'm not too fond of jeans all day on my kids... I'll probably end up getting more dresses for DD but what am I supposed to do with DS?

I'm glad my kids are not potty trained, the diaper is the only thing that keeps the pants from falling!

2. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

My kids are thin too. My daughter is very tall though. She's wearing 4T knit pants today. They're a little long, so I rolled the waist, which also helps when the waist is too big sometimes. These are pretty narrow though. I think they're the target circo brand. I could be wrong, but I feel like the store brand from places like target, kmart and walmart run smaller.

My biggest problem is with boy pants. The bigger they get in size, they are so ridiculously long. We have at least 20 pairs of dress type pants (hand me downs, etc) that are way too long. By the time he fits them in length, he will be 5. I've got a couple pairs of 24 mos he can get away with, but they do cover part of his feet, and when the waist is big it makes it worse. He's pretty average in height. But his legs are just short. Last year I got my son a few pairs of fleece pants from the Children's Place. I loved them and want to get more this year. I had to roll the waist because they were too long at first, but they fit by the end of the season - so he got the whole season out of them. He wore them all the time and they washed so well.

3. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

We have to buy the adjustable waist ones for the twins... my dd is 31 months and is maybe 24lbs. I end up buying 24m or 2T just for the waist. I love jeans on the kids so I'm not much help for you sorry! I can say that I never pay full price for them, I always search for the sales and have found some good ones from Old Navy.
    What about sticking to overalls?

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I buy pants with adjustable waists too and I also tend to buy jeans. But I just bought Lila some yoga style pants at Children's Place that actually fit her. I was surprised, most styles without the adjustments fall right off of her!

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Aren't adjustable waist pants expensive though? Typically I don't spend more than $8 on pants...

6. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Children's Place has several styles on sale right now for 2 for $20 or 2 for $22 and there is a coupon you can print from their website for 15% off of you entire purchase.

7. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I have little ones also. Children's place pants can sometimes work. Target's will not, unless they have adjustable waists. I've never tried Walmart's pants, so I can't attest. But we did buy a couple pairs of shorts and they are still way too big. I have trouble with pants at JcPenney also. We just bought some jeans at Target for $8 a pair on sale. I couldn't pass up that deal. You may be able to get something at a Carter's outlet store. I only shop the Clearance racks, so most things are drastically marked down. I'd never pay full price for their clothing. In my opinion it's not worth the price.
    We have issues due to low weight, but they are also in underware not diapers. With my older sons I was able to find skinny/slim pants at JcPenneys. But not until they were in the 4-7 size range.

8. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Target's adjustable waist stuff is awesome. Children's place stuff is on the skinny side too.

For pajamas and that sort of thing, I tend to stick to elastic waisted items or yoga pant types. Of course, A's in love with her purple pajama pants, which are a 2T and fit mostly okay except for being almost 4 inches too short. They're capri length and aren't supposed to be.

We went to the JC Penney outlet and got several pairs of 4T adjustable waisted pants and shorts for less than $4.00 each. That's a steal!!

9. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I've had luck with OshKosh at Target for adjustable waist pants.

10. sonali33

sonali33 Well-Known Member

I just bought some jeans from Cartes that are 2T with adjustable waists and paid about $6.50 for each with a coupon. Old Navy has adjustable waist jeans for about $10 on sale. My kiddos are about the same size as yours and I have the same problem finding pants that fit them in the waist yet aren't too short in length.

11. nateandbrig

I think the most I've paid is 10 or 12... but for me it's worth it because I tend to buy a size bigger and they last longer because I can adjust the waist. Plus if they are a good brand then I can sell them when they grow out of them for a good price.

12. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

Both DD and DS have to have adjustable waist pants. I get most of them at Target for $8-10/pair. Cherokee and OshKosh both have adjustable waists at Target. They can also wear the Circo knit leggings and pants ok. I usually have to roll the waistband though. I've also gotten Sonoma pants from Kohls with adjustable waists. With the right sale, they're not too expensive. I wish they could wear the Jelly Beans brand from Kohls, but I find the waistband of their pants very big.

ETA: Keep your eye out for sales from Kohls. It seems like every other weekend, they have kids' clothes on sale for 50% and then you get an extra 15% off if you use a Kohls card to pay for it. They often have the "get $10 Kohls cash for every $50 you spend" weekends too.

13. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

Like everyone else, we use adjustable waist pants. I am VERY cheap and find them at Walmart, Kmart, Target, and on sale at Kohls or other department stores. My mom just bought my DS some at Sears for $7/pair for his b-day.

14. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Ok I'll have to check Target... for now I don't even dare buying anything as they have the length of 2T clothes but somehow just started fitting in 24m pants... or maybe it's just bad luck with the clothes they are wearing right now (both pants I got used so who knows how old they actually are... cherokee for him and gymboree for her (18/24m)... although I remember cherokee being pretty large at the waist, as he had no problem fitting in 24m shorts this Summer... I have so many pants though I hate to have to buy more.

Oh stupid question - how do adjustable pants work anyway?

15. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Same here and I have also had luck with Old Navy adjustable waist. Any pants that still ride low or fall down, I just roll the waist over. My son is just starting to fit comfortably into 2T pants and my DD is just starting to fit comfortable into 18 month pants :faint:

Edit to add, the adjustable waist pants have a button and a strap (almost like a belt) on both sides of the waist. You can pretty much select how tight or loose you want it. It usually takes me a couple of tries to get it to the right fit. I think my two are both close to the last slot on the strap still. Good luck!

16. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

They have a band inside the waist that can be tightened. Most of the pants that we have use small buttons inside to anchor the band as it tightens. Does that make sense?

17. abrinka

abrinka Well-Known Member

I put elastic in all of their pants. It's more work for me, but it keeps pants on,

18. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Awhile back someone here recommended these and they work GREAT. I bought a 3 pack and have been using them for over a year now.

In length my boys wear 2T but 4T on shirts. I need to use the Dapper Snappers on almost all their pants.

19. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

THANK YOU!!!! That's a lot cheaper than having to buy more pants and that will last forever... just ordered two packs.

20. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

Jumping over from SY ... we'll be joining this group in just two short months ... GULP! :wine:

Anywhoo... my boys are at your LO's weight and I was just able to find the brand of jean that works for my boys. Old Navy has jeans that are labeled 18-24 month. They are in between 18m and 24m and fit GREAT! Other stores 24m are unbelievably huge in the waist and the length, too long. 18m are too short and getting snug in the waist. The jeans I bought at Old Navy were 16.50/ea ... a bit pricey but if you live near an outlet you can get them cheaper. Check out the online sizing chart at Old Navy and see if they would work for your LO's!

21. nateandbrig

My cousin gave us some of those as a gift this last Christmas and they don't work for us :( I was so bummed because they look awesome and I'm glad they are working so well for you guys! They kept unbottoning when they bent over, and they only fit in a couple of the belt loops on the pants.

22. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Oh that stinks.. I wish I could try them before spending so much $$ on them!

I have a few old navy clothes and yes they fit fine in the 18/24m pants, heck DS even fit fine in the 2T shorts although I guess 2T pants would be way too long! I'm going to wait to see if they fit better in the other 24m pants I have then I'll plurge I guess.

23. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

keep in mind that 2T is generally cut a bit slimmer than 24 months...I find that Childrens Place clothes fit my skinny minnies awesome!!! Target's Circo brand and WalMart's Faded Glory are enormous as is KMart's Wonder Kids...Also WalMart sells the Garanimals and they fit my son nicely...

24. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

My girls live in leggings from Gymboree. I usually pay around $5 per pair. We got some from Osh Kosh recently and they seem to be pretty slim too. We have trouble getting normal pants to fit without the waist adjustments. The girls are growing out of their 4T pants in length but still fit 2T in the waist.

25. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

other ideas...

is buying used... we have several "children/family sales" around here and the first thing I go look for is adjustable waist pants and shorts. I can usually get stuff for $3 or cheaper. I know not everyone likes used, but really they aren't in the clothes that long... we also have a great selection of used clothing stores to choose from.

or sewing some elastic inside each pants waist band... you could hand sew it, just take a 1" strip of elastic and hand sew it to create a bit of a gap, like taking up 2" worth on both sides, or 3 times to create a small gap at the back too... when you need more room, just cut it off. I did this to some shorts that didn't have the adjustable.

that snapper dapper thing looked neat, but it did look wide, so I'm not sure it would fit on all pants... neat idea though, I may have to make something like that for us!

our issue is skinny babies and potty trained too so that makes them even skinnier! some of the 6-9 month pants fit... one pair he wore last winter kinda look like cargo pants this summer, pretty funny! but realistically they don't quite look right b/c they are really skinny on the legs too.

good luck!