Parents socialization

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by 1stbabies, May 24, 2015.

1. 1stbabies

1stbabies Well-Known Member

Well I'm an introvert. The thought of splitting the kids to 2 different classes in the near future make me think of x2 amount of socialization in the same year and that makes me nervous... Ideas on how to improve myself or handle the situations?  Thanks for the ideas!

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know what you mean, I am an introvert too, so I feel you!  My kids were in separate classes for the first time this year (1st grade) but our school is small and I pretty much knew most parents from kindergarten so it was a little easier.  But just go up and introduce yourself and say hi.  Usually you can always find common ground with the parents over school, homework and just having kids the same age.  Good luck!

3. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

I found that volunteering was a big help to me.  First in the classroom where I got to know the teacher and other students, then on Field Trips, birthday parties etc it was easier to greet a child I recognized then introduce myself to their parents and talk about school.  At PTA, school wide fundraisers and events I met families with kids in other grades and it was easy to work together, talking about the task at hand and, as we got to know each other better, other subjects as well. 

1 person likes this.
  4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

In addition to what the others said, as the kids get older, you will find that you aren't socializing with the parents as much as you do when they were in pre-school.  Most of my kids parents that I socialize with are those that we have known since preschool.  While I know many of the parents of my kids friends, I don't hang out with them.  My group of friends to hang with is actually pretty small, although through daily activity, I do know alot of the other parents.

5. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know in my girls school, unless you are active in the PTA, there really is no opportunities to interact with other parents as the kids get older.  They have 4 class parties- but only 3 parents go to each one.   If there is something big that all the parents can attend , it is usually the whole grade