Peanut Butter

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinsnowwhat, Dec 29, 2009.

1. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

Wondering how many folks are giving peanut butter to their LO’s? Our ped is suggesting we wait until 2 years, simply for allergy reasons. There are no nut allergies on either my side or DH. I get so desperate trying to find something the boys will eat that I really want to see if they will like peanut butter. It has fat and protein – two things they need more of since they seem to think it is perfectly acceptable to live on ritz and goldfish crackers :gah:

2. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I do have a nut allergy (cashews), but I gave peanut butter to my girls after they were a year old. They've had no problems.

3. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

no allergies here either - gave it to them after a year with no issues...

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have no nut allergies in our immediate family and started giving peanut butter at 12 months.

5. Lydia

Lydia Well-Known Member

Our children were introduced to peanut butter at about five or six months. Since then we have given them peanut butter consistently and regularly with no problems.

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

we got the go ahead from our doc to give them peanut butter at a year. we also have no history of allergies.

7. EOMommy

EOMommy Well-Known Member

We gave it shortly after 1 year...and after a few weeks of eating it my DS had a reaction.....he has been tested and unfortunately he has a peanut and egg allergy. I don't think it had anything to do with giving it too soon or anything. There are no food allergies with DH and I or our families. Big bummer. The egg thing sucks more though :(

Maybe I ate one too many PB&Js while pregnant or nursing. I always think back to that.

8. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

There is no research that shows that starting peanut butter (or any other potential allergen) later leads to fewer allergies. So if you want to start now, I'd say go ahead. Just remember that allergies do not show up on the first eating. They show up on the second, or third, or eighth. So if you're worried that your LO might develop a peanut allergy, keep an eye on him or her for the first few weeks.

My daughter Piper has a peanut allergy. No one else in our family has any sort of allergies, so we were pretty surprised when she reacted to peanut butter on the fifth time she ate it. Like the previous poster, I wonder if I ate too many PB&J sandwiches when I was pregnant.

9. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

We gave PB to our boys at around a year here too! No nut allergies and got the okay from the pedi. They love it and it does make it easier for things they will eat!!

10. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We gave peanut butter at a year, with the pedi's okay. No history of allergies in either family except for a shellfish allergy in my brother. They've had no problems and eat it all the time. The research is actually showing more and more that waiting may have the opposite effect of increasing the chance of allergies. That said, I'm not a doctor, and your pedi is.

11. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

We gave our kids PB @ a year. We have no allergies in our families and were not concerned.

12. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

There have been studies showing that delaying introducing PB doesn't help with allergies at all... that countries that introduce peanuts early have less allergies than here. So just do it when you are ready.

13. jenniferkkelly

jenniferkkelly Well-Known Member

My kids have lots of allergies. They were tested at 10 months & didn't show any allergy to nuts, but still I waited to give peanut butter to them until they were 18 months old. And so far, so good. I figured they'd love it, but DS hates it & DD is just okay with it.

I read something about how eating PB in the 3rd trimester can cause peanut allergies in babies later on. Don't know if that's scientifically proven or not though.

14. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

An alternative might be to offer sunflower butter, which is less allergenic. I like it more than PB and eat it all the time. My LOs like it, too. I will probably introduce PB in a few months, though. I get the sunflower butter at Trader Joe's.

15. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

I just started peanut butter this month (19-20m)… no family history… just waited… I did NOT know it might take 5-8 times until a reaction happens… good to know as I think we are on that now… I love TS :friends:
    Elizabeth

16. narezo0805

narezo0805 Active Member

We gave the girls PB crackers and they loved it...hopefully no allergies!!

17. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

I tried PB at a year and the first few times they were fine. It was the 3rd/4th time Ellie had a reaction. She also has a milk, egg and fish allergy. No food allergies in either of our families either. The milk allergy is by far the most annoying. Can't wait for her to outgrow it. We can give her almond butter, since she has no tree nut allergy. Thank God!

18. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We gave it to them at 1year, no allergies either side and got the go ahead from pedi:)

19. lovemytwinsx2

lovemytwinsx2 Well-Known Member

I was going to wait till they were 2 to give them peanut butter, i have been wanting so bad to give them, since i love PB...after reading the posts I think tomorrow i will start and take it from there, there are no food allergies on either sides of our families...so looks positive...

20. San12

San12 Well-Known Member

I started at about 15 months. No issues here, though they don't like it much :(